Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Today, I had the chance to test both Series consoles and I must say S wasn't all that bad. It looked great for the most part, just very 720p-ish in most instances. My only [real] gripe was that blur (from reconstruction? heavier post-processing motion blur? ) often looked heavier than XBSX/PS5 while in motion, or making sudden turns.

The XBSX edition looks identical to PS5, there were certain areas (driving fast mostly) that I felt X was hitching at times, something oddly similar to an automatic save happening at certain points in the demo (which of course there are no saves or auto-saves in this demo). Overall, I felt the PS5 edition was slightly smoother, but nothing to say one edition is better than the other.

And the PC edition... oh yeah, there is no PC edition. :mad::(

Last edited:
when these consoles were announced i was told we would not get next gen effects such RT for reflections or lighting with better graphics than last gen, that would be either one or the other, and here it is.
The way the light bounces, with shadowing to reflections, with this level of detail, it's unprecedented.

I've always said having HW-accelerated RT hardware will always be useful, even for very weak hardware like the Series S.

Look how the cars nearby affect the lighting on that tire. That is crazy

he may have more polygons in the movie but the lighting is worse.

The green tint would make any lighting conditions (perfect or not) look worst. The green tint back then didn't bother me, but now, on an OLED TV it just looks terrible at times, even in 4K format.

The green tint would make any lighting conditions (perfect or not) look worst. The green tint back then didn't bother me, but now, on an OLED TV it just looks terrible at times, even in 4K format.

I think even the clothing looks too rubbery. Typical games now-a-days don't even have the most sophisticated cloth-sim going on, but artists have learned to fake it well enough in the modeling. It doesn't look or behave perfectly, but the end result is more convincing than what we've got on the films. Although, in the Matrix demo, it looks to me like they tried advancing cloth sim, and while at it, they removed some of the artist-placed wrinkles and I think that is part of what bothered me subjectivelly when I first saw it... I don't yet have a new-gen to play it myself though, so I'm only going off of youtube.

EDIT: just noticed I initially replied to myself like a crazy-person. I meant to reply to shortbread instead...

Last edited:
This demonstrates really well an uncanny valley for animate objects. The vehicles are are perfectly spaced apart and look eerily identical - because, of course they are.

Introducing variations in the orientation/spacing and cleanlines (dust, dirt grime) is the next step.

This demonstrates really well an uncanny valley for animate objects. The vehicles are are perfectly spaced apart and look eerily identical - because, of course they are.

Introducing variations in the orientation/spacing and cleanlines (dust, dirt grime) is the next step.

The whole demo looks stunning, but to see some dirt and general wear build up, especially on buildings, would be awesome. Is that likely to happen this gen? Don't know much about the tech terminologies behind all this but Would ML or AI eventually deal with that?

The whole demo looks stunning, but to see some dirt and general wear build up, especially on buildings, would be awesome. Is that likely to happen this gen? Don't know much about the tech terminologies behind all this but Would ML or AI eventually deal with that?
It doesn't feel like an insurmountable problem given GTA IV was doing this with vehicles two generations back but the fact that the visuals in the Matrix Experience look so good that's it is the lack of imperfections (that everything looks too good) that stands out is just fantastic. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back