Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

Surely Sony is aware of this, and surely would have expected it? Surely also there's ND devs who visit forums or download from other regions? Kudos to the quick fix, but to not expect international interest is pretty naive!

I think people may be aware of various issues, they just didn't know it may apply to them. Things often fall through the crack this way.

PS3 games are not region coded, so I don't know why the "Insert Disc" and "Black screen" issues come up at all. Apparently, the fix is easy... so it's still likely to be an oversight.

It looks so good on these pictures and videos, but when I go to play the game, it looks horrible.

Denko, I went into Uncharted again just to compare the screen with your snapshot. I am using a 720p LCD monitor. It's probably your TV or TV settings :(

Deloix said:
Vid nicely shows the new features I haven't seen before, specifically the foliage movements.

Yes and they seem to be coordinated as if affected universally by wind. ;-)

Someone mentioned that it's also possible to perch on a cliff and shoot. Is this true ? I haven't been able to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the demo but one thing stood out.... After the guys dead the bodys are non reactive. You can toss grenades and open fire on the dead bodies but nothing happens... They all the sudden no longer have blood? And no I'm not some sicko I found this out when I thought I seen the guy getting back up but when I shot nothing happened because he was bent over in like the air. Guess a glitch.

Grenades do work, and it looks cool if dead people are laying near the rock wall that can be blown apart:cool:

COD4 does that too with guns though, after they are dead shots do nothing.

Someone mentioned that it's also possible to perch on a cliff and shoot. Is this true ? I haven't been able to do it.

Yes, easiest way is to press O on an edge (or jump up from the ground) if there is enough space.
Basically same as cover mode, press L1 to aim R1 to shoot.
You can move or side jump as well. Pressing O again takes Nathan out of cover meaning jumping down.

Works on covers that are high enough as well.
Very nice feature.

ps: foliage movement comment is from a mod (Shifty?) who moderated the post and embedded the video, forgot to sign though.

Hi...another few things.

The fish in the pond are cool :p

Writing my name in a tree was funny...and then running around the whole demo and coming back to find it was still there in the tree 10 minutes later. Small touches people. Oh and the bullet holes on cover and rocks etc don't have a predetermined size - it just looks like the rock is chipping off. Very nice.

Also all bodies and destructible cover rocks would stay in the same place...knowing that I'd shotgunned one cover (rocks close around the base) and the location of the exploded covers.

Making Drake balance on a broken pillar was funny :p

Does it bother anyone that he can't crouch? (or can he) And that when your behind a wall there's only high cover, and not low cover...

:)

After seeing the shadowing myself, I could swear the only time I have seen so many shadows being cast is in Doom 3. They couldn't be using shadow volumes could they?, it seems to me that EVERYTHING casts a shadow. I could be wrong though.

Everybody here knows me as a xbox fan. But this game is definitely good looking. I think it definitely threatens Mass Effect status as possible GOTY, if only for its graphics, don't you agree (Laa-Yosh)? If there's one game that makes me want to get PS3, its this one.

After seeing the shadowing myself, I could swear the only time I have seen so many shadows being cast is in Doom 3. They couldn't be using shadow volumes could they?, it seems to me that EVERYTHING casts a shadow. I could be wrong though.

Shadow volumes i.e. stencil shadows are characterized by sharp edges or are projections of existing geometry. In Uncharted's case, they're using some form of shadow maps.

Looks great but it's kind of a hazy sunlight.

You don't get peaky looking colors. I guess the green canopy and maybe a rain forest locale?

The Good: The graphics are drop-dead gorgeous! :oops::oops: Very clean hi-res textures, nicely detailed characters, and a lighting system that’s very life-like.

The Bad: The gameplay is sort-of boring. It’s like Gears of War meets Tomb Raider (and I don’t mean that in a good way). The game should be more about speed (i.e. fast pace action), rather than duck-cover-roll-pop.

The Ugly: V-sync (lack of) issue rears its ugly head again... :devilish:

Overall: 9/10 :cool:

The Bad: The gameplay is sort-of boring. It’s like Gears of War meets Tomb Raider (and I don’t mean that in a good way). The game should be more about speed (i.e. fast pace action), rather than duck-cover-roll-pop.

You mean like like a quick FPS but in third person view ? They might have to tone down the pirates' aggressiveness or power then. I tried to play it FPS style but died within seconds.

Nice demo. I guess I'm the only one saying I wasn't impressed about the in game graphics. Pretty boring and usual "jungle". In some sense mgs4 did things better for me(i.e. how grass interacted with snake). Cutscene in the beginning was just superb and impressive to me. The animation system and how drake can jump from ledge to ledge, hang in there etc. That was cool and made playing fun. Very parkour like.

The game itself played nicely and I liked it a lot. Hard mode was most fun to play as the bad guys tried more to achieve drake's unfortune. I hope the game has more aggressive AI and difficult mode. Even hard seemed too easy and more like just run through.

edit. What I mean here with just run through is that the bad guys didn't put enough pressure to drake. They have the advantage in numbers so why not change positions more and try to circle drake, get drake into crossfire etc. Now they just stood there and wanted to be shot. Too easy. At some odd occasions they did heroic "I'll get him" and insta death for single bad guy. I would prefer smaller bands of intelligent bad guys and not just simple shoot one billion zillion idiots. But I guess this demo is from early part of game and could be toned down because of that even in hard mode.

I'd think that if you're a pirate, the fact that knowing that the enemy has a gun would stop you from moving around too much.

The fact that they try different moves under the same cover works good enough for me. At least it doesn't get too impossibly hard or too damn easy.
I do remember that there's a fourth difficulty level. I suppose it's hard?
Looking forward to trying to complete it on that difficulty level lol

I'd think that if you're a pirate, the fact that knowing that the enemy has a gun would stop you from moving around too much.

The fact that they try different moves under the same cover works good enough for me. At least it doesn't get too impossibly hard or too damn easy.
I do remember that there's a fourth difficulty level. I suppose it's hard?
Looking forward to trying to complete it on that difficulty level lol

That part actually was solved already in demo. The bad guys take turns in shooting at drake -> drake needs to take cover ->other bad guy(s) could be changing positions.

I just played it today. I have to say, this is one of the best PS3 demos, if not best console demo, I've played in awhile. And finally, some new art direction and color palettes, compared to UE3 titles. I'd say it was even more fun than Gears of War, atleast the run-and-cover aspects.

I was unwhelmed by media on this game, but the demo changed my mind.

Back