Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

saying uncharted is a corridor shooter is a gross exageration,IMO.(in that case ,GeOW is a rail shooter)

Limited texture variety is invalid here ,too ,because everything is so organic ,seamless ,from wet to dry and texture/shader transition between materials is everywhere ,nothing shows tiling effect (except the see from high ).Something allmost feel like megatexturing ,here.

Crysis jungle is made of much less texture variety and base_assets (the plant-tree-grass-rocks kit).Texture variety in AC is much more limited ,too.

saying uncharted is a corridor shooter is a gross exageration,IMO.(in that case ,GeOW is a rail shooter)

Oh, come on. In uncharted, even the jungle was a corridor. There were a few parts where the rooms got somewhat large, but as far as linearity goes it is in the same boat as Gears.

Limited texture variety is invalid here ,too ,because everything is so organic ,seamless ,from wet to dry and texture/shader transition between materials is everywhere ,nothing shows tiling effect (except the see from high ).Something allmost feel like megatexturing ,here.

Crysis jungle is made of much less texture variety and base_assets (the plant-tree-grass-rocks kit).Texture variety in AC is much more limited ,too.

Where did I complain about texture variety? One of the major points I am trying to make is that is that in something like Uncharted the devs can use their time more effectively because they control what the players are going to see.

Where did I complain about texture variety? One of the major points I am trying to make is that is that in something like Uncharted the devs can use their time more effectively because they control what the players are going to see.

That sounds correct and also why free froaming games have less detailed textures since yo ucan get close to most if not all surfaces. I mean why have more than 256*256 res textures for something far away where the player cant get. Wonder though if all textures have mapping or if it is just baked in (some textures) to save RAM amongst other things.

Oh, come on. In uncharted, even the jungle was a corridor. There were a few parts where the rooms got somewhat large, but as far as linearity goes it is in the same boat as Gears.

Yes. Some of my favorite gunfights were in the large rooms (e.g., the great hall near the harbour, the cathedral, the courtyard in front of the cathedral). The fortress vista point (like Highway 1) is nice too.

Even if it is a corridor shooter, Uncharted is impressive because it shows lotsa attention to details consistently in every aspects, not just graphics. The development time was relatively short (1st year game with early PS3 tools on a brand new architecture, from scratch). The game is also stable. The team had a few setbacks (e.g., they also threw away and redid at least one level). Whichever way you look at it, it is a rare feat.

Last edited by a moderator:

where did i quote you about texture variety ?

And you're right .Uncharted closed environment has a lot to do with production constraints and design control.
Modeling and texturing an open environment with the same quality would require an incredible amount of time and ressources from the art team .It is allready an insane job done as it is.

That sounds correct and also why free froaming games have less detailed textures since yo ucan get close to most if not all surfaces. I mean why have more than 256*256 res textures for something far away where the player cant get. Wonder though if all textures have mapping or if it is just baked in (some textures) to save RAM amongst other things.

Uncharted Streams detail constantly.Their stream pipe is very efficient.
Ideally ,the number of pixel in screenspace is a constant.The problem is mostly do have artists to make these details , and UVmap them (in multiple layers).

I don't understand the last part of that sentence (bold) ,it's a weird construction of word i know and use ,but the meaning is unclear. :)

Huh yeah, I was more thinking of a normal texture with depth due to art and design but moving a lightsource infront of it would not have the texture react to it vs a normal mapped texture. :smile:

If I had to answer what is the prettiest console game out there, I would probably say Uncharted, but in my opinion the framerate is not solid 30 fps it could have been polished a bit more, however it never drops to really low numbers. Screen tearing happens a lot also and in my opinion these issues can't be totally overlooked, when discussing the gorgeous graphics of this game.

of course they can't. but considering most games out there have screen tearing and some framerate drops, you can't take away from how beautiful the game looks. all things considered, Uncharted is the best looking console game to date, imho.

the tearing wasn't that bad and rarely would the framerate drop low enough where you would notice it.

Rumors about the AK in the hungarian military say that its shots go through railroad metal pieces easily. It's a very, very powerful weapon.

Depends on what AK Hungarian army is using 47 or 74 , a round from 47 will go through an engine block.

in terms of graphics, i think lair would give uncharted a good challenge. design style aside, i think lair still does the most on screen at once not to mention the immense scope. uncharted definetly has some really nice special effects thats unique though.

Depends on what AK Hungarian army is using 47 or 74 , a round from 47 will go through an engine block.

The version I fired had a bit of kick (nothing like a shotgun) but, oddly, wasn't that damaging to targets.

Mind you this wasn't a genuine AK47 (surprise, surprise!) - was a knock off in Pakistan.

in terms of graphics, i think lair would give uncharted a good challenge. design style aside, i think lair still does the most on screen at once not to mention the immense scope. uncharted definetly has some really nice special effects thats unique though.

:oops:

Don't let Laa-Yosh hear you say that..!!

Off topic, but why didn't they ever release a Lair demo for christs sakes??!

They could have at least showed off the tech to existing PS3 owners. Now it's going to be one of those fabled games that everyone only ever saw in screenshots and hardly any ever actually got to play. Even if it was a crap game. It's still such a waste of good tech for it to meet this fate.

I believe that Lair is technically superior to Uncharted but Uncharted has the artwork done better making it in general look much better to the eye.

Just seen some videos of this game, very impressed with environment size and graphics. From what I saw there seemed to be virtually little loading. Have I seen wrong thing?

The game only need to load before playing, then you play through the game without loading. You die and there's no loading, you can even skip the movies without loading.

Back