Trend of creating mega-threads will likely kill the discussion

Miksu

Regular
It's getting harder and harder to follow Beyond3D's forums as there seems to be trend of creating mega-threads which contain thousand and thousand of posts. An example:

Where we previously had "PS3 launch in Europe possibly delayed further" we now have "News and Rumors: Sony Playstation 4 (PS4) [2016 Edition]".

My point is: People will participate in these forums if they find interesting topics. "PS3 launch in Europe possibly delayed further" is interesting, "News and Rumors: Sony Playstation 4 (PS4) [2016 Edition]" with thousands of posts isn't.

Yeah new more specific discussion title is nice on the new post page.

Can the system use the new replies based on tags?

I completely agree. That is why the existing mega threads were closed.

Also I want to point out that you have had mega threads ever since the PS3/X360 era such as the next-get rumor threads for the ps4 and xbox one. Thats practically 5 years right there. This has started at least in 2010 so don't feel that it is somethung that just started recently.

However new ones were created because there seems to be some fear of creating new threads by the users. That is why there is 1 mega Sales thread instead of the individual monthly NPD sales threads.

Though sometimes the rumors do overlap so having one place for it isnt too bad, assuming the post count is limited.

Similar to that, when a thread starts to diverge from the original topic why not split the thread instead of outright killing the new topic?

Why dont the users better maintain the topics instead of requiring a third party to step in to keep the place tidy?

After a little more discussion, we're going to try running separate threads, where new news or new rumors means new thread model. The only consolidation threads we'll try to keep are for as of yet unreleased products, such as next gen Playstation or Xbox consoles.

Though there is the current mess of Sales threads. Maybe we'll be able to spin them off once NPD Results are posted, maybe not. It's been difficult to keep that properly sorted.

Why dont the users better maintain the topics instead of requiring a third party to step in to keep the place tidy?
Yeah, so users need to suck it up and learn how to use their organizational skills. #LifeSkills

ALBUMQB03O4330006001144.jpg

I have better things to do. To seek out new plots and new angles. To boldly go where Al has never gone before. ;_;

NPD threads used to be very easy and quick to go back in history to look for old data. Can't do that anymore since folks started adding to the garbage dump even after I complained.

Back