Titanfall 2 [PS4, XO]

I didn't play the first one, but tried the alpha-test last night. It felt very COD to me and I got rekt since I'm so used to Halo 5. I kept trying to thrust...lol

I also had a little bit of motion sickness near the end and probably will need to tweak the sensitivity a bit. Supposedly it's only two of the modes that will be in the final, so there is hope for the other TF1 type modes.

I'm not sure the title is for me though.

Look at this vid and map. 27 minutes of gameplay. Map is not designed for pilot traversal. It's mostly on foot sprinting. Barely any Titans. Most of the cap points are in the open, so there is no separation between pilot and titan areas. That layer of strategy is completely wiped out.

The first 16.5 minutes in that video is the game mode that I played, Bounty Hunt and exactly the large outdoor map I was talking about. My game play experience mirrors that video closely. There isn't any reason to not be in your titan once you get it. If you focus on the event points by killing the AI units and bank your earned cash bounty between rounds your team will easily win. There's no reason to actually go after the enemy human players. The strategy used in all the various TitanFall 1 game modes go completely out the window in Bounty Hunt game mode on that map.

There's no need to actual capture and control of the points, you just need to keep killing the AI that spawns at those points. So you can sit back from a safe distance and still wipe out all the bounties and earn large amounts of cash towards the game score.

I think I would like Bounty Hunt more if it was PvE instead of PvPvE. Dial up the enemy AI and the time duration and it would be like Halo WarZone, or even the TitanFall 1 Frontier Defense.

I hope the TF1 strategy still plays a vital part in the standard MP modes in TF2.

My main issue is what made Titanfall unique: Titans, map traversal, ai grunts

All three of those things have been massively minimized by the game modes and map design. You do get Titans more often in the bounty hunt mode, but the majority of the game is still soldier to soldier on the ground.

This is PC, so the traversal is a bit more advanced than console, but you can see how the maps are designed to encourage pilot movement.

Watching these vids made me even more disappointed. The most unique and interesting competitive shooter this gen, with multiple layers of movement and strategy trashed and reduced to call of duty. Fuck.

Last edited:
Oh, most definitely, but even if you exclude missing all of what TF1 great and just look at the game mode "Bounty Hunt" you can see how it fails from a game play perspective. There's no actual need to engage the other team of humans at all. That fails even from a COD style test.

In TF1 I always loved the strategy required for when to be in your titan and when not to, and which parts of the map to control or guard with them. It was also great in how knowing basic parkour routes could change the flow of the entire game.

It's getting panned big time and deservedly so in Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/4ym1aw/i_desperately_want_titanfall_to_become_a/

This post from there seems to be on point about how the removal of burn-cards, titan timers, and AI bots will negatively impact the team game modes:

As one of those less skilled players, I loved the bots. It let me help my team, kept my KDR acceptable and the 13 fanboys would leave me alone and not give me shit for sucking.

I also loved the burn cards because they nerfed my weaknesses and gave me a boost when my team needed it. Those things made it more fun for YOU to play with me.

Take it away and now my 0/15 death streak is literally supplying the enemies with Titans faster than ever. You hate me because I am making you lose but there is nothing else to do but go toe to toe with people who can play 8-12 hours a day.

It's a game, not competition, in my eyes. I don't play for fake internet points or knife skins or bragging rights. I play to unwind after work.

So next time on TF2, when your side is losing horribly because of that one guy who doesn't have the twitch reflexes of a teen anymore remember that is what you asked for.

The issues with the first game were purely graphics, lack of campaign and lack of maps. People grew bored because it didn't have enough viable weapons and it didn't have enough unlocks. The one thing they've gotten right is the titan classes, each with unique abilities. Just add a lot of titans with some customization, then add extensive weapons and weapon customization. They've got a single player campaign now. So really, they just had to keep the core game and expand on the variety of content. Instead, they decided to make cod.

Wow, it's far worse than I thought. It makes me so sad.

The one thing that was almost universally praised about Titanfall is the thing they changed. The core gameplay. That just leaves me speechless. If this was a long established and well regarded franchise (like Doom) and they F-d things up to this degree, I'd go on another long winded rambling verbal rampage (like Doom multiplayer). But instead, I'm just sad. That what started out as an incredibly promising franchise seems to have lost its way before the franchise could even be established.

Maybe they'll listen to all the negative feedback and delay the game a year or so in order to redo all the maps and go back to the original core gameplay loop. Somehow I doubt it.

Regards,
SB

After reading the impressions here, I don't even bother to try it out anymore.

Meh, again a case of developers that don't know why their game was good (Insomniac with Resistance 1, GG with KZ2, ...) and instead of improving the existing formula, completely changing it.

TF1 didn't seel so many units because a) it was X1 console exclusive and more important b) it had absolutely no content.

The core gameplay was amazingly fun.

Why is Respawn thinking the opposite? Are they really this clueless??

Hopefully the campaign is meaty and has an interesting story in this interesting universe.

I've found playing this game to feel more chaotic and confusing than the first. There are weird "out of bounds" zone on the interior of the map that are easy to get to with your pilot's mobility but you'll immediately start to get a countdown. It feels like I'm always totally disoriented when I respawn and the hud markers for the cash bank points are hard to parse. I can never tell which I'm closest to.

The interesting and maybe sad thing is that it'll sell better. I think the larger pool of customers, the campaign (which could be very good) and the more familier cod feel could lead to some success.

Fucking fuck. One of the only 360 games I was willing to get an Xbox One for. The new slim and this was an easy excuse to jump in.

I'll wait for more reviews but with a PS4 option and this negativity it's probably a pass.

Fucking fuck. One of the only 360 games I was willing to get an Xbox One for. The new slim and this was an easy excuse to jump in.

I'll wait for more reviews but with a PS4 option and this negativity it's probably a pass.
It's not like that.

There are also other Tf1 fans that do in fact like TF2. It's not universal hate for the game. I almost want to say it's like when Starcraft 2 was released. It's quite different from Starcraft 1. Both games can exist in their own right.

I think it's still too early to judge TF2. It feels like maps are the biggest factor here, if anything map changes could result in a lot of opinion shifts.

I do recognize there are some core gameplay changes, but this is mainly about the maps IMO which we haven't seen enough of.

That being said it's not Like titanfall in the core mechanics (that we have seen so far) and the game has been made slightly more casual, but some parts of the game could have changed to make the game more strategic :: ie how you choose your load outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the mechanics were like TF1 I would have preordered. It is not.

As it stands now, I wont pick it up unless it's a free Games With Gold title (or added into EA Access Vault and there's a $25 code for 12 months).

It plays too much like COD. Fuck that. If I wanted COD or BF play style I would buy those games, not TF2.

I dont know how it will do with the current style and schedule. It's set to release 1 week after BattleField 1. Worst release time to be a typical bro-shooter and not have anything unique.

If you thought reddit was bad, have a read of the official Respawn TF2 forums. The threads all say the same, much disappoint, great saddness. The thread poll, asking if it remains as is will you buy the game, is pages upon pages of No with a scarce Maybe. I dont recall seeing any Yes posts except when people said it was by accident!

If the mechanics were like TF1 I would have preordered. It is not.

As it stands now, I wont pick it up unless it's a free Games With Gold title (or added into EA Access Vault and there's a $25 code for 12 months).

It plays too much like COD. Fuck that. If I wanted COD or BF play style I would buy those games, not TF2.

I dont know how it will do with the current style and schedule. It's set to release 1 week after BattleField 1. Worst release time to be a typical bro-shooter and not have anything unique.

If you thought reddit was bad, have a read of the official Respawn TF2 forums. The threads all say the same, much disappoint, great saddness. The thread poll, asking if it remains as is will you buy the game, is pages upon pages of No with a scarce Maybe. I dont recall seeing any Yes posts except when people said it was by accident!
Lol. Well yea. I'm sure a lot of fans of TF1 are Nos and Maybes. But there are a lot of non vocals that probably think it's cool though. I'm not sure what will happen. Hopefully they redo a bit, I personally like the way TF1 handled but I'm not sure of their reasoning for such a large change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey respawn has patched titanfall 2. Now Titan need less point to be summoned.

The result is still not consistent enough. There's still many matches with unbalanced Titan (winning team got Titan faster. Losing team have Titan nearing the match end)

Yep. Titans back on timers is a crucial change, but I feel like the smaller map was designed with the expectation that very few players would even get theirs during the match.

I know it's an technical test, but there's just too much I don't like for me to take a chance on a game that'll cost me $80 CAD. Maybe there will be some maps or modes that player closer to the old game. I guess I'll found out next weekend. Should be two new maps and two new modes. If nothing is different, then we know they're entrenched in the cod design. Maybe they could reintroduce some Titanfall 1 style of play in the dlc, but I'm not going to pay for that. Hopefully they can attract enough cod players who are maybe looking to move on from cod to something slightly different. And I genuinely hope the campaign is a success. Either of those two things, or both, could make the game a financial success.

Hey respawn has patched titanfall 2. Now Titan need less point to be summoned.

The result is still not consistent enough. There's still many matches with unbalanced Titan (winning team got Titan faster. Losing team have Titan nearing the match end)

I played two matches tonight and decided to put it down until next weekend. The first match was hard point on the small map. We won 400 to 60 something and even then our team only had a few titans up. I got mine fairly close to the end of the match and I led my team in score. The second match I was thrown in mid-game against a clan of 6 players. It was the large open map, which is incredibly crap to navigate as a pilot. When I came in, the clan was already dominating. By the end of the match they had all six titans and we had zero. Good times. The fact that they lowered the requirements to drop a titan just allowed them to get all six titans up and steamroll us even worse. The titan timer needs to return to the game, otherwise teams will never be able to make comebacks against teams that take a lead early.

Yup.

What I like from titanfall 1 is the generosity of the game design thst allowed noobs and non twitch gamer to contribute. To enjoy the game. To have fun.

Now tf2 rewards awesome gamer and punish noobies.

Btw,
I already so accustomed with farming the shit out of titanfall 2, I almost always got a Titan in mere minutes.

But I can't summon it. Because a Titan without shield is as weak as a paper.

I need to keep waiting until the batteries spawn before I can Summon mu Titan.

Theres also a super weird mechanic where you actually WANT to be rodeoed by enemy pilot. Because they will get a battery after rodeoing you.

Just kill them, take the battery, and your Titan will be healthy again and with a shield as bonus.

Back