Titanfall 2 [PS4, XO]

No. It's a barrier because EA would have to want to allow Origin to interface with anything that's not origin (Live, PSN etc)
isnt that the same for everything?

if Titanfall 2 is for Steam, valve would want to interface steam with PSN/Live. Otherwise, the friendlist etc would not work.

Really curious to hear what engine they're using. The first one they said they started with Source and then modified it until it was unrecognizable. I wonder if they just continued with that as a base or if they've switched to Frostbite (EA), UE4 or ... Source 2?

Don't think they started with source, they had the insomniac engine I believe but it was void of all art and useful bits as thoes where licensed property or something, Source was selected later after a rogue dev developed a prototype over a weekend to evangelise source and kick-start the team.

But probably Titanfall as we know it probably started at the same time.

TL:DR it seems their engine selection was slightly protracted and they finally settled on source and modified it loads.

EA account linking with psn/xblive has been around for a long time.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Matchmaking has not. I don't know of a title that can do matchmaking between Origin and Live or PSN. It's probably just my personal biases, but I don't have a good feeling about EA supporting cross-play on the PC.

The game probably won't have AI; that's exclusive to the Xbox One Cloud I think. I read once the game would be impossible without it, so big chance only the Xbox One gets bots :(

Matchmaking has not. I don't know of a title that can do matchmaking between Origin and Live or PSN. It's probably just my personal biases, but I don't have a good feeling about EA supporting cross-play on the PC.

Because it was unprecedented. It's only steam and Xbox live that have precedence with cross play...

We have had steam and Psn crossplay with portal 2.

Btw, I am also very curious about what engine they are using now. Cos the Source thing made it look very ugly last time.

We have had steam and Psn crossplay with portal 2.

Btw, I am also very curious about what engine they are using now. Cos the Source thing made it look very ugly last time.

They said they totally re-wrote all of the major parts of the engine. I think the performance and visuals were just a symptom of time, and starting from absolute scratch. Respawn started as an office with no furniture or workstations. It was a bunch of people in an empty room spitballing game ideas. They had to build an infrastructure to work in, rapidly scale up a new renderer, game engine and workflow/toolset with Source as a starting point. Titanfall took about four years, but I wouldn't underestimate how hard it would be to get Titanfall shipped. A lot of games take three to four years to develop inside companies that are already mature.

The game probably won't have AI; that's exclusive to the Xbox One Cloud I think. I read once the game would be impossible without it, so big chance only the Xbox One gets bots :(

Lol. There's nothing preventing them from using any cloud service to do whatever they want. They could probably still use Microsoft Azure to host the game for any console they want. On top of that, it's not like the game had some sophisticated cloud-powered simulation running. It had pretty good bot ai for the titans, and a bunch of low-ai creeps. Dedicated servers on a good infrastructure can handle that.

They said they totally re-wrote all of the major parts of the engine. I think the performance and visuals were just a symptom of time, and starting from absolute scratch. Respawn started as an office with no furniture or workstations. It was a bunch of people in an empty room spitballing game ideas. They had to build an infrastructure to work in, rapidly scale up a new renderer, game engine and workflow/toolset with Source as a starting point. Titanfall took about four years, but I wouldn't underestimate how hard it would be to get Titanfall shipped. A lot of games take three to four years to develop inside companies that are already mature.
Agree on that. Just getting titanfall out must have been like going through hell. I guess its just their talent and previous experience of game design which must have sped up things to the point where they were able to ship it on time.
I really want this to be good this time and sell very well. Good devs need to survive in today's landscape of studios closing all around.

if they made it using frostbite, it can be looks awesome while keeping the sys-req low.

seriously. frostbite already very lightweight with all those dynamic elements like dusts and destruction. It also highly capable doing super quick streaming.

Lol. There's nothing preventing them from using any cloud service to do whatever they want. They could probably still use Microsoft Azure to host the game for any console they want. On top of that, it's not like the game had some sophisticated cloud-powered simulation running. It had pretty good bot ai for the titans, and a bunch of low-ai creeps. Dedicated servers on a good infrastructure can handle that.
You know what else can very probably handle that "super next-gen bot ai that wouldn't be possible without the cloud" just fine? The cpu in ps4 xbone and pc. Cloud was 2015's cell. More work than it was worth. Mostly marketing bable to try to move the conversation away from ps4's power diferential and even that didn't work so well. Its about time we cut the crap with that bs.

Sent from my LG-D385 using Tapatalk

Of course PS4 could run AI locally. The problem is playing the game with 12 other people all over the world and synchronising all the bot data between them. You need the cloud (dedicated server) for that. MS has free cloud power for all Xbox One consoles. With PS4 and PC developers need to pay.

If TitanFall 2 on Xbox One makes use of the cloud like CrackDown 3 does, then that version would be head and shoulders above the rest; physical destruction of the environment complete with bots, VS sterile no destruction environments with no, or very little bots running around. Unless the developer gives up profit... btw EA is the developer so good luck with that

That makes sense. I didn't know that ms was offering cloud services for free for xbone games. That does make a difference then.

You know what else can very probably handle that "super next-gen bot ai that wouldn't be possible without the cloud" just fine? The cpu in ps4 xbone and pc. Cloud was 2015's cell. More work than it was worth. Mostly marketing bable to try to move the conversation away from ps4's power diferential and even that didn't work so well. Its about time we cut the crap with that bs.

Running the ai for the titans and the creeps on the server is actually a better design for multiplayer matches.

Of course PS4 could run AI locally. The problem is playing the game with 12 other people all over the world and synchronising all the bot data between them. You need the cloud (dedicated server) for that. MS has free cloud power for all Xbox One consoles. With PS4 and PC developers need to pay.

If TitanFall 2 on Xbox One makes use of the cloud like CrackDown 3 does, then that version would be head and shoulders above the rest; physical destruction of the environment complete with bots, VS sterile no destruction environments with no, or very little bots running around. Unless the developer gives up profit... btw EA is the developer so good luck with that

No point in developing and tuning two different playing versions. No-one is going to do extra work to improve the core game play mechanics and map design of the version not running on PS4.

Additional (gameplay enhancing) destruction for XBone is very unlikely. Hopefully there will still be dedicated servers for all versions. If not, X1 version will still be far and away the most consistently enjoyable. That wouldn't help the franchise overall, IMO.

No point in developing and tuning two different playing versions. No-one is going to do extra work to improve the core game play mechanics and map design of the version not running on PS4.

Additional (gameplay enhancing) destruction for XBone is very unlikely. Hopefully there will still be dedicated servers for all versions. If not, X1 version will still be far and away the most consistently enjoyable. That wouldn't help the franchise overall, IMO.
So either the game plays worse than the first one, but the same for everyone else -or- everyone gets dedicated servers, at EA's expense.

On the other hand, this could be MS' moment to shine at E3; they can offer free cloud services if Sony allows Xbox One players to mix in/ play with or against each other... A good trade: Xbox gets a healthy community for the games in this partnership and Developers have less server costs. PS4 gamers get more dedicated servers. Everybody wins!
(It could be epic!! imagine PS4 vs Xbox matches..)

Back