Time to scotch those R300 isnt fully DX9 rumours?

I can just see it now . Ati only supports 9.0 and nvidia supports 9.1 and everyone will change thier arguements.

From what I can see from the ad it says fully Directx 9 compliant & that must be what it', all of this ranting about pigs flying & gremlins messing with the technical aspects of airplanes in the early days,in other words stop making rumours that are not based at least on facts instead of this worthless ranting.

Anyway enough of my ranting,if they plan a paper launch tommorow I suspect there will be a lot of .PDF's to download tomorrow since most of us still have no idea what the full features of Directx 9 are.

jvd said:
I can just see it now . Ati only supports 9.0 and nvidia supports 9.1 and everyone will change thier arguements.

Hmm... DX9.1? Neither 9.0 isn't finished but NV for example in early September will know the next step? Ahem... :devilish:

they know what it need to be direct x 9 or 9.1 compliant
just because the software ain't finished doesn't mean that the hardware isn't finished as well
company get the know-in way before so they can start designing the chip

phynicle said:
they know what it need to be direct x 9 or 9.1 compliant
just because the software ain't finished doesn't mean that the hardware isn't finished as well
company get the know-in way before so they can start designing the chip

I know.

I've just tried to point out how funny is this. I mean dx90 or dx91 either, too... DX9 is good but I dont care about dx91. Plus my guess is: dx91 is not in development phase yet, still in design.

phynicle said:
but the requuirements to be direct x 9.1 compliant is done....ahhh whats taking r300 so long

Since when? I've not even heard anything about it really other than it will happen. Of course I haven't downloaded the DX9 spec lately, but I'm pretty sure there is no 9.1 yet.

if the requirements are done great but really how long ago where they done ? a couple months at the latest. how long ago could nvidia have added new stuff to the nv30 ... more than a few months ago i believe . I doubt either cards will be fully dx 9.1 and as the r200 showed(should i say nvidia and its fans ? ) with dx 8.1
the card with the best features is often passed up for what plays games the fastest. I'm thinking the r300 spun on .13 will be the fastest esp since ati is reaching 300+ on the .15 micron.

I don't understand all this talk about DX9.1. Not only am I not aware of any drafts or specs being flying around, but it's also highly irrelevant for the current discussion to boot.

ta,
.rb

What many of you fail to realize is that ATI was able to put out architectures (Radeon and Radeon 8500) that had more features because they were released later than their nVidia counterparts (i.e. Radeon released much later than GeForce SDR/DDR, Radeon 8500 released later than GeForce3). Now nVidia's part is being released later, on a more advanced process, and with many more transistors.

Chances are, most of those extra transistors are being put to use for more features.

Come on guys, DirectX 9.1 :LOL:???
Where the hell do you pick this up??? There were only TWO x.1 DirectX versions in the past (DirectX 6.1 and DirectX 8.1), what makes you think we'll see DirectX 9.1?? DirectX 9 is scheduled for November, when are we supposed to see DirectX 9.1 then? Besides even spec for DirectX 9.0 isn't yet final (there are many features on the list for DirectX 9.0 but Microsoft did not commit to implement them).

Note: The current release target of DX9 SDK is November (according to Phil Taylor from Microsoft.)

Will Radeon 9700 (R300) ship in September with a Release Candidate of DX9 then?

LeStoffer said:
Note: The current release target of DX9 SDK is November (according to Phil Taylor from Microsoft.)

Will Radeon 9700 (R300) ship in September with a Release Candidate of DX9 then?

Why does it need to ship with DX9? There won't be any DX9 games to play anyway. When the Radeon 8500 came out, DX 8.1 was only available for WindowsXP, but that certainly didn't cause any problems

Teasy said:
DX8 was sort of a faliure, with some devs complaining about the limited pixel amd vertex shader support, so they brought out DX8.1 to fix that.

Dev complaints had nothing to do with it. DX 8 = GeForce 3 feature set, DX 8.1 = Radeon feature set.

Dev complaints had nothing to do with it. DX 8 = GeForce 3 feature set, DX 8.1 = Radeon feature set.

I'm sure carmack's complaints had a great deal of influence on DX8.1. Anyway, its clear that the pixel shader in DX8 just wasn't good enough, pixel shader 2.0 should be different.

I thought that DX8 was Rampages original feature set, and DX8.1 was GF3 and Radeon?

But, maybe I'm just confused there.

No, DX8 was the GeForce3's featureset. DX8.1 was the Radeon 8500's. There's no reason to believe that the Rampage affected DirectX much, if at all.

Rampage PS/VS 1.0 (DX8), GF3 PS/VS1.1 (DX8), GF4 PS1.3 VS1.1 (DX8.1), Radeon 8500 PS1.4 VS1.1 (DX8.1)

Back