Blue died, it's time to bring her back to life.

so I have the WEIRDEST wiring job of connectors and splitters hooked up to get everything working.
No you dont, I have 6 sata drives, I have lots of splitters, molex to sata connectors, molex to pci-e connectors, extenders because the molex connectors arnt long enough, and a case with more or less zero cable management, my case looks like an explosion in a cable factory.

No you dont, I have 6 sata drives, I have lots of splitters, molex to sata connectors, molex to pci-e connectors, extenders because the molex connectors arnt long enough, and a case with more or less zero cable management, my case looks like an explosion in a cable factory.
Fair enough, it's not a contest I'm eager to win anyways. :p

Her new PC is working great, but all the fans are blasting at 100% all the time and at 2am I was having trouble figuring out how I wanted to manage 'em. (I was also having trouble reading text and seeing connectors as my vision was blurring, it was a looong day for me.)

Today I'll iron out all the little wrinkles and order a new PSU, I think I was up until about 4am looking at new ones.

Fans all fixed! 2 controlled by software, the front 120 I had to add a manual controller to...but man what a difference! Sounds great! A quiet happy hum.

Also had a thought, there is a really good chance that the Crosshair Preparation H might not be dead since i was testing mobos/cpus with a bad PSU. Gonna order a new PSU today, (trying to keep it under $50 and have 2 8-pin CPU leads and 4 PCIe 8-pins is a biatch!), and when it comes in I'm going to try my wife's 955 in the Crosshair and if it works I'll put the mobo back in my rig with my lil old 965 and at least have access to my bios again! (Not to mention a 990 chipset, HEAVEN!)

Thanks again all, I'm having fun with this now even though I keep getting this throwy-uppy feeling in my throat of fear a lot. Happened last night when I first got it together when my wife was anxiously standing over my shoulder watching and I powered it up and it just blinked at me. Felt like total and complete disaster/dispair, but that only lasted for about 3 seconds before I bounced up and said "Right then, I was wrong and it was the power supply." and immediately powered down Bubbles and started ripping her PSU from her. My cabling was so bad that when I finally got it all disconnected and untangled I had a SATA modular lead wire that wasn't connected to anything...my PSU isn't modular and hasn't been in quite some time. :oops:

It all turned out alright. I think instead of trying to find a cheap PSU with two 8-pin CPU leads I should just get a decent one aimed for my wife's rig and just take my 850w back. I prefer quality in my PSU, again last night I learned the hard way just how bad one can fuck you over. It was a Corsair too, but it was over 8 years old. I should have pulled a PSU from my rig to test it with, but I was just plain lazy. This is why I like having a back-up, known good PSU on hand as just as spare/emergency replacement. You KNOW one is going to go bad sometime, plus they're great for playing with old hardware. Which usually leads to me building a PC around one, then giving it away to someone who needs one who can't afford it. I'm kind of stupid that way, but I think it's more than paid me back in karma over the years. Sort of like my refusal to take payment for fixing people's PCs. I feel like the only reason I know anything about computers is because a whole bunch of random strangers over the course of many years have been kind enough to help me learn, and helping people less knowledgeable about it is my way of paying that forward. It might be stupid, but it's how I feel about it. :p

So next up, it's time to do the dishes! My house has fallen into a complete state of disrepair due to my wife's computer breakdown and the installation of a 4-stage osmosis distilled water system I installed under our kitchen sink, which was complicated by a bloody overly cheap plastic part that I just got the metal replacement for yesterday so I can fix the slow leak I have a towel wrapped around under my sink. Once I empty my sink, I don't think I've seen it actually empty in almost a week.

The struggle is real. :|

Oh, bonus picture of me this morning after too little sleep and too many demands from the family that needed to be done RIGHT NOW! This is shortly after I finished it all and had a bit of a breakdown. :)

aCMMZ51.jpg

Don't fret, that was just me helping my wife get ready for work. It can be stressful, but she's off and her 'puter is quiet and all is better in the world. :)

You bought her a mechanical hard drive.... the worst thing you could have done for her. Seriously, the biggest speed difference for her would have been the SSD.

This is a very, VERY terrible time to buy SSDs...the prices are through the roof. She's already insanely happy/impressed with the speed of the newer Blue, I can get her an SSD when they get cheap again and impress her even more. :)

I'm NEVER done building a PC, it's a journey not a destination. Tech is always advancing and I adapt where and how I can, it's just I have to find a balance. Right now the parts I bought were the best value bang-for-buckwise I could possibly find, I found out we have $40 worth of mail in rebates so it's a total cost of $280 with probably another $30-40 for a PSU.

I know SSDs are better, I even finally have one in Bubbles. A little Adata 240GB that I picked up for like $84 when prices were cheap, I could barely get a 120GB SSD for that price at MicroCenter right now.

I'll wait a bit, it's cool. She couldn't be happier with her upgrade and that was before she's heard it after I retuned the fans from blasting at 100% and having my son install Steam and a collection of games for her to try on her.

I'm feeling better. I got my trashes all emptied, cleaned the kitty litter boxes, washed all the dishes or got them in the dishwasher, cleaned the carpets, started laundry, fed the kids, and I'm just waiting on the new distilled water thingy to drain after turning off the cold water supply so I can replace the cheap plastic leaky bit with a shiny metal one I got that shouldn't leak. After that I get to chill a bit and hunt for PSUs and HDMI cables and such. I currently have Blue hooked up with a heavy duty 25' hdmi cable because that's the only one I could find, I can get a 3ft and 15ft one from Amazon for $9 and I gotta order some stuff anyways. I'm not taking pictures yet because I haven't gotten the years of cable mess cleaned up from her desk yet, putting that off until tomorrow when she works all day.

Sorry for the babble, but I've been so busy doing stuff I haven't had time to talk to anyone and it is driving me NUTS! :p

I had started to write about silly sink issues... my sink is always empty (like a toilet bowl is, usually) but I'm otherwise living in a train wreck atm.
I simply have to spend a bit more time on everything that's not the sink, whereas I do have a friend that does have the reverse issue. He does have a vague plan to repair the stupid leaky part while I think maybe it can be replaced. But haven't had a good look at it yet. In fact, he's keeping it around as a reason to feel embarrassed, if that makes sense.

Ummm should I tidy up my things? On one hand, it's just a couple hours here and there, to be repeated until stuff is tidy, and working/laboring for yourself has great benefits. On the other hand I am considering there's a serious possibility that free will doesn't exist, which would imply it's ok if you've not done some dishes/litter etc.?
Can I deny the existence of free will, yet manage to brainwash myself into doing the chores?

and, congrats about your engineering, maintenance and production processes done !

Whenever I get those existential cleaning crisis I always just think of myself explaining it to my wife and her just saying, "Jeeze do you overthink things enough? Just do the dishes John!".

The answer lies within.

Because I was going to get the
Why hate yourself? Semi-modular bronze 80+ nice PSU. As long as you need 750w :)
Because I was going to get this 500w one for $40 instead, and the reviews on the 500w are better than the 750w...but the 750w has a 5 year warranty compared to the 500w's 3 year one so I figured if it flakes out in the first 5 years it's cool and if it last me 5 years it's cool too. :)

Congrats on the machine and the housework. Since it was the power supply have you tested her old parts with a good PS... the MB still might be bad. Good to know for your spare parts box. Do PS's have fuses in them? It's been forever since I opened one up.

No, that bugger is still driving me a bit nuts. A shitty unit, highly not recommended.

I meant the sink. There is a philosophy of losing to being in charge of a kitchen, you're always going to be losing the keeping it clean battle but the battle still must be fought or it will get much, MUCH worse.

Back