Tim Sweeney says G70 > R520

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.
That is so surprising given their relationship.
What about the special UT2003 mode or whatever that only the 5800 could handle?

Sweeney has and always will say that *any* Nvidia PRoduct is better than *any* ati product. He is a complete Hack for Nvidia.

Not that its a Bad thing. I am just pointing it out. Even when Ati had absolute clear advantages in his own game over the last couple of years he STILL said Nvidia was better. Programed his games specifically for their hardware, used their Features as a priority and so on.

Heck, G70 may well be "Better" than the R520. I highly Doubt it. But it could be. Its much more likely that they are about Equal.

The sad thing is that ATi hardware has had some very specific things in it the last couple of generations that make MUCH more sense for them to use ATi products over Nvidia products (like GDC, and superior shaders). But.. They are in the sack together so what can you do. The R520 is likely no different.

I've yet to hear the interview, but it's an NVNews bit and Epic is an nV marketing partner. What would you expect him to endorse? The "for sure" is surprisingly strong, though.

If it was Gabe Newell saying "For sure, R520", everyone would be saying that it's only ATI's money speaking. The same is true in this case.

The strong marketing relationships between ATI and Valve, or Nvidia and Epic means that we can never take what they say about these products at face value, and never know if these are true opinions or paid for advertising.

Even a refusal to voice an endorsement with a "no comment" would be taken to mean a preference one way or the other, especially in circumstances like these were there is no explantion or justification, just a statement of perference.

His last comment aside, it sounded like they're bending over backwards to basically support everything in UT2k7...which I think sounds great. :)

And Hellbinder, I think you're just "in deny"...
rofl.gif

You guys need to relax. One little innocent comment and you react like somebody just kicked you in the face. :)

Breath in, breath out. Wax on, wax off etc etc. 8)

Hellbinder said:
The sad thing is that ATi hardware has had some very specific things in it the last couple of generations that make MUCH more sense for them to use ATi products over Nvidia products (like GDC, and superior shaders).
GDC? Do you mean 3Dc? Hm, wasn't UT2k4 released before X800?
And to really make use of it when ATI had superior shaders would have meant they'd have to completely overhaul their material system (and with that, the artwork) for their games.

Diplo said:
Maybe that is what Sweeney genuinely believes based upon his experience?

Maybe it is, but the marketing relationship taints any chance of it being taken as a genuine, uninfluenced opinion. For instance, when all the NV30 cheats came to light and were being discussed on the UT2K forums, Mark Rein made one of his few posts to come in and support the Nvidia products. I've never seen Epic support ATI products in the same way, and it would not be politic to do so given their close financial and development relationship with Nvidia.

Even if R520 was miles better, we'd never see Sweeney say so because that relationship with Nvidia would preclude it. It would be like being paid to endorse Coca-Cola, and then telling people that Pepsi is better. You can't even refuse to comment because you are expected to support the people who pay you for that support, and a refusal to do so is read as tacitly supporting the opposition.

Come on seriously, if it was R3D asking he would have said R520. There’s no reason to over interpret this.

Marketing aside...

Sweeney is speaking from a developer point of view. He may be speaking 100% honestly, but that still doesn't matter from an end user perspective.

Carmack genuinely preferred the NV30 over the R300. That's all that needs to be said about the potential differences between a developer perspective vs. consumer.

In short: without some qualification as to "why" he would choose G70 over R520...it's pretty much pointless to discuss further.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Maybe it is, but the marketing relationship taints any chance of it being taken as a genuine, uninfluenced opinion.
And how many people who post here have a "genuine, uninfluenced opinion", eh? :)

Whilst I perfectly understand why people are sceptical of what Sweeney says (I am too) I don't actually believe he would say one card is better than another if the complete opposite was true, as it would be too damaging to his credibility and, by association, Epic. So long as he's at the cutting edge of 3D engine design (and I think UE3 is testament to this) then his opinions at least deserve some respect because he walks the talk.

Joe DeFuria said:
Marketing aside...

Carmack genuinely preferred the NV30 over the R300. That's all that needs to be said about the potential differences between a developer perspective vs. consumer.

Newell genuinely preferred the R300 over the NV30 (and gave many reasons why). It's really not so clear cut as saying "developers prefer Nvidia product", because that isn't always the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back