Thinkpad 128GB SSD?

homerdog

donator of the year
Legend
Supporter
The new Thinkpads offer a 128GB SSD as an option. Unfortunately there is no information provided as to what the make and model might be. If it were a HDD I wouldn't give a shit but it's kind of important to know what SSD you're getting.

So I used the Lenovo chat service to have a helpful customer service representative enlighten me! (her name was not Lenovo rep :LOL:)

You have been connected to _Lenovo rep.
_Lenovo rep: Thank you for choosing Lenovo chat. My name is Lenovo rep and my ID is ***. How may I assist you today?
Bern: Hello rep my name is Bern. I am hoping to replace my old T43 Thinkpad soon and have a quick question about the new T410 series.
_Lenovo rep: Okay how can I help you with that?
Bern: Would you happen to know the make and model of the optional 128GB SSD?
Bern: I cannot find any indication as to what it might be on the website.
_Lenovo rep: Yes,it is available on all T 410,even the on that says soild state drive
_Lenovo rep: Would you like me to help you customize a T410
Bern: Thank you for the response.
Bern: I know that I would like a solid state drive in my next laptop, but as performance varies wildly from one drive to the next I was hoping to find some information on the model you guys are offering.
_Lenovo rep: are you asking for extra information on the SSD?
Bern: Yes please
Bern: Sorry for the confusion.
_Lenovo rep: That is okay
_Lenovo rep: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive
_Lenovo rep: Is that all you need or do you need me to help you configure this computer?
Bern: That is all I need thank you for the assistance.

So does anyone know what SSD Lenovo is currently offering?

Thanks fox, but your link appears to be broken.

Edit: After checking around on that forum it looks like you're not guaranteed any specific model, but a lot of folks end up with Samsung drives (
icon13.gif
).

Last edited by a moderator:
Homer , I'd just get it with the hardrive it comes wih and replace it with your own. The new kingston line is cheap and comes with a kit to make your current drive a portable one. IT also has trim now so thats a good thing. Most samsung drives don't and a few have locked firmwares so they wont have any.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&N=2 50001183 40000636 1421430849&name=128GB

I just put a 64 gig in my laptop and it flys. I used only the v not the v+ the faster speed isn't as important to me and i rather spend that $50 on something else.

Yeah that's what I'll end up doing. I have no interest in a Samsung SSD at this time.

Yeah that's what I'll end up doing. I have no interest in a Samsung SSD at this time.

I'm not sure how it is with the thinkpads but on my laptop hp offered a 320 gig free upgrade but the ssd was $300 . I took the free 500 gig (since i didn't need a 80 gig ssd at the time). Now for $150 over the price of my laptop i got a 320gig external 2.5inch drive and a 64 gig ssd in my laptop. Good deal for me.

I've got a Samsung based SSD with firmware just prior to Trim (no way to flash the firmware).

It's perfectly fine for laptop/notebook use, but not something I'd recommend for a performance desktop. Oh, and perhaps gaming laptop it wouldn't be too great for either. But otherwise there's not a lot of scenario's where you'll feel its limitations in a notebook.

Regards,
SB

I don't care much about high performance in terms of sequential reads and writes. I just want good random writes and TRIM support. The Samsung drive has neither.

So how long on average will these things last? Someone told me that when a cell dies, it is NOT marked and therefore you will just end up with errors or crashes. Is that true?

At 20 times the price per Gigabyte of normal harddrives I'd be inclined to think they all are.

Some controllers are better than others. Seems that the new (3rd gen i guess) controllers are all good . The first wave of controllers didn't have trim and garbage collection. Some of the second gen did.

I have a 64 gig Kingston SSDnow V series with trim in my laptop. Its not the fastest one but I got it on newegg for $144 and then i have $25 gift card. Its more than fast enough for my laptop. My boot time from completely off is 30 seconds. With the 250 gig drive that came with it , it was almost 2 minutes. And with the ssd windows is usable as soon as it pops up and i type in my password.

My desktop last june i bought a vertex 60 gig. I use it as my os drive and i keep important apps on it . My boot up time till windows is usable is about the same as my laptop . Everything just works faster. When prices come down I'm going to pick up a 128 gig drive just for my games.

At 20 times the price per Gigabyte of normal harddrives I'd be inclined to think they all are.

I have no need for a humongous HDD in a laptop. A 60GB SSD would suffice and that would only run me ~$150. Well worth it for the added responsiveness.

So how long on average will these things last? Someone told me that when a cell dies, it is NOT marked and therefore you will just end up with errors or crashes. Is that true?

SSDs have space reserved to replace old cells when they die.

Back