PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable error

There's a lot of attempts to help the situation, which almost all require the disk itself to be detected in the BIOS.

There's a lot of attempts to help the situation, which almost all require the disk itself to be detected in the BIOS.

Yeah, the ssd to be detected in the bios first before stuff that access the disk after bios can do anything.

Anyway hdd is detected.

My suspicion is that the voltage deviates and ssd voltage tolerance too low. Thus hdd still work

I finally tried clean installing W10 on SSD working laptop and putting the installed SSD back in G550. Nope, same thing, not detected at all.

Well, of it goes to the repair shop. Not sure I can do anything else with my available tools regarding orangepelupa's suggestion about the voltage deviation.

You did it incorrectly. You need to wipe disk and install W10 on the G550.

Anyway there is a thread where someone had a similar issue with their G550.
Hi - thanks for that - initially the SSD was not detected by the BIOS - but turns out it was my fault - I had initialised the SSD as GPT (which I guess would have worked on a newer laptop). When I re-initialised it as MBT the BIOS recognised it and after a few hiccups all was good.

Edit: Do you have Win 7 disk to try and see if it is recognized once the OS is installed?

Edit2: Just saw you screenshot. If you have a Win 7 disk you can use that instead of Win 10 to REPAIR.
Follow instructions on screen with Win 7 disk to repair.

Last edited:
I used diskpart to wipe and Disc Management in Win7 to initialize disc and format it. Can I see in Disc Mngmnt whether it's MBR or GPT? Or how to check that in diskpart?

You did it incorrectly. You need to wipe disk and install W10 on the G550.

I couldn't do it since the SSD is not recognizable there.

Thanks for this.

Do you have Win 7 disk to try and see if it is recognized once the OS is installed?.

I have Win7 disc, I will install W7 to see if I can't get around MBR and GPT thingy first.

I have Win7 disc, I will install W7 to see if I can't get around MBR and GPT thingy first.
You might still be able to repair the OS (MBR). In bios select the CD drive to boot first and the SSD second in boot order. Then reboot machine with Win 7 in the CD drive ... does it read the CD drive with Win 7? If so then you can get to the Win 7 repair selection.

I've just run clean and convert MBR commands again in diskpart, then initialized and formatted the drive. Nothing changed, BIOS doesn't recognize it, and W7 setup can't see the SSD both via SATA and USB connections.

Before that, I did what you wrote pharma and same thing, message "Startup repair cannot repair your computer automatically" appears, because it doesn't recognise any OS on the SSD.

I don't think there is anything else I can try.

I've just run clean and convert MBR commands again in diskpart, then initialized and formatted the drive. Nothing changed, BIOS doesn't recognize it, and W7 setup can't see the SSD both via SATA and USB connections.

Before that, I did what you wrote pharma and same thing, message "Startup repair cannot repair your computer automatically" appears, because it doesn't recognise any OS on the SSD.

I don't think there is anything else I can try.

Wait, I'm confused. Diskpart detected it in your laptop or you were using a different computer to use diskpart and initialize as MBR?

Btw have you tried unplugging everything as much as possible? So unplug odd, hdd (if any), wifi card. Just have the ssd plugged.

Wait, I'm confused. Diskpart detected it in your laptop or you were using a different computer to use diskpart and initialize as MBR?

The latter, Diskpart detected it on EeePC via SATA to USB adapter. That and the internal SATA port in Thinkpad W500 are the only ways I can access or see the drive so far.

btw have you tried unplugging everything as much as possible? So unplug odd, hdd (if any), wifi card. Just have the ssd plugged.

No, I can't reach those parts on the board without tearing apart the whole laptop (I posted the pics before) and I don't have the tools to do it and put it back together.

Why not just get a new one since they're pretty cheap? I'm not trying to be funny, just seems like you've put a lot of effort in to trying to make it work when a replacement is like $30us over here. Are they more around there?

Again, I get trying to make it work or fix it...but if you just need one that works I'd hit this one with a whacking mallet and put a new one in.

But this one works in the the other machines, so the problem is not with the drive but with this specific laptop. Yes, I can get a new one, both the SSD and/or a laptop, but it's the principles that matter as well. :)

But this one works in the the other machines, so the problem is not with the drive but with this specific laptop. Yes, I can get a new one, both the SSD and/or a laptop, but it's the principles that matter as well. :)

and i hope the root cause can be found. IM SUPER CURIOUS hahaha. its like someone wont stop tickling my brain or something.

Back