Shortbread built a new PC. Example of how to buy a PC? *spawn

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
So, I recently built a new PC for my new entertainment setup; replacing the older and much bulkier Threadripper System in the process. Anyhow, specs and pics below.

Threadripper 1950x System Specs (2018)
· CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x 16c/32th (3.4GHz / 4GHz / 32MB L3)
· Motherboard: ASUS ROG X399 Zenith Extreme
· GPU: MSI RTX 4090 (prior cards: FE RTX 3090, SLI Titan Xp, and SLI GTX Titan Z)
· Ram: 64GB of G.SKILL TridentZ (DDR4 3600MHz)
· Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 (x3) and 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (x3)
· CPU AIO Cooler: Thermaltake Floe Triple with 360mm Radiator
· PSU: 1600W EVGA Supernova P2 Platinum
· Case: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P

AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D System Specs (2023)
· CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D 16c/32th (4.2GHz / 5.7GHz / 128MB L3)
· Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E ACE
· GPU: MSI RTX 4090
· Ram: 128GB of G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo (DDR5 6000MHz)
· Storage: Two 2TB Gen5 T-Force Z540 NVMe (12,400 MB/s read / 11,800 MB/s write) and a 4TB Gen4 WD Black NVMe (7,300 MB/s read / 6,300 MB/s write).
· CPU AIO Cooler: Corsair iCUE H170i Elite with 420mm Radiator
· PSU: 1600W SeaSonic Prime PX Platinum
· Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG

System Components
xaO039k.jpg

2l0naeZ.jpg

HdMLVG2.jpg

LKxq5eH.jpg

EhE3Yg7.jpg

SJRp4sK.jpg

ZfEMfEU.jpg

Update: Finally got around to putting my platform together and now the Mrs. is using my rig for fast charging her watch. lol
3U41gev.jpg

Last edited:
A few benchmarks comparing both systems. Nothing is overclocked on the new system (as of now); however, the older system CPU core frequencies were clocked to match the boost clocks (4GHz), rather than have them scale up and down from the base clock frequency (3.4GHz). The screenshots also shows DDR5 comparisons between dual channel mode (64GB / 6000MHz) and quad channel mode (128GB / 4600MHz) on the new system. As you will see, the performance differences between both channel configurations is negligible, especially when it comes to average framerate comparisons.

Ryzen System: NVMe Storage Performance
jdYSZif.png

8imP5fc.png

V0qgDW9.png
Superposition Benchmark
Threadripper (64GB / 3600MHz)
NNzcgeD.jpg

Ryzen 9 (64GB / 6000MHz)
06hgDI0.png

Ryzen 9 (128GB / 4600MHz)
swSi5Cj.png
Cyberpunk 2077 Benchmark Ray Tracing, DLSS, and Frame Generation
IfR9KhE.jpg

Ryzen 9 (64GB / 6000MHz)
PbGz66V.jpg

U3D61HS.jpg
Cyberpunk 2077 Benchmark Path Tracing, DLSS, and Frame Generation
hvG01rW.jpg

Ryzen 9 (64GB / 6000MHz)
hymY94p.jpg

IHCkiMV.jpg
Cyberpunk 2077 Benchmark Path Tracing, Ray Reconstruction, DLSS, and Frame Generation (Sorry, no Threadripper 1950x system testing with ray reconstruction, I simply forgot…)
Ryzen 9 (64GB / 6000MHz)
hymY94p.jpg

IHCkiMV.jpg

Update: 128GB / 6000MHz memory configuration is working now. Instead of using the auto AMD Expo profile, I had to set the memory parameters manually.
y5x4XGc.jpg

Last edited:
This PC is the best of the best that you can buy.

I have the LIAN LI - O11 Dynamic EVO. Looks very good. Such PC cases are also modern now. I thought the LIAN LI - V3000 PLUS also looked great but it's too big.

I bought an air cooler for the CPU as it is less susceptible and the performance is easily sufficient for a Ryzen 7 7800X3D.

When I configurated my PC I personally found the Lian Li plug-in 120 mm cooler too overpriced. On the other hand these plug-in coolers save a lot of work and time as I later noticed myself with my individual coolers.

Last edited:
I have a LIAN LI - Lancool II big fan of their cases and fans
The only downside of the case was it didnt come with usb-c (probably done to keep costs down) you had to buy it separately
1701721096910.png

ps: This has got to be a typo (overclockers.uk)
1701722062199.png

Last edited:
· Ram: 128GB of G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo (DDR5 6000MHz)
Do you/wiil you get any use for 128 other than future proofing?

I also have 64 GB in my rig bought in late 2017, and as a jvm developer , with docker and all the things, 64 always seemed plentiful. Games take even less

For my next rig which i'll probably get in two years i'm even contemplating going 2 x 24 GB RAM, if i'd get me higher speeds (especially for these dual channel platforms, 4 channel is of course a diffferent story)

Do you/wiil you get any use for 128 other than future proofing?

I also have 64 GB in my rig bought in late 2017, and as a jvm developer , with docker and all the things, 64 always seemed plentiful. Games take even less

For my next rig which i'll probably get in two years i'm even contemplating going 2 x 24 GB RAM, if i'd get me higher speeds (especially for these dual channel platforms, 4 channel is of course a diffferent story)

Besides gaming, I own a mid-size film post production (and sometimes full cinematography) company that requires lots of compute and memory for our daily workflow. The workstations at our Midwest and Westcoast offices mostly use Threadripper builds with lots of memory (far more than my personal builds). When I'm not interacting with our new President & CEO (which I recently stepped down from), I like to keep my teeth (skillsets) sharpen by helping out in the various visual departments from the comfort of my home, be it Michigan or California, and from my bed most often. :sleep::unsure:

Anyhow, working with lots of uncompressed [raw] footage, taxing production software, and various films at one time, just requires lots of compute resources.

Last edited:
Fantastic build. Only nitpick I could find is lack of gpu holder.

I have one, but it is slot based and the M.2 expander card interfered with the mount. So, I will have to find something else.

As of now, the card is solidly secured across three slots without sag... but yes, having a bracket or stand should be in place for more support.

I have a gpu bracket I could recommend ;)
ps: did you prefer the Lian-Li fans you have over the ones with the infinity mirror
1702241062630.png

Last edited:
I have a gpu bracket I could recommend ;)
Please do.

ps: did you prefer the Lian-Li fans you have over the ones with the infinity mirror
View attachment 10236

Since the Lian-Li case did not come with any fans, I simply chose a matching name brand with a good reputation, high RPMs, reliability and that linked together to reduce (ugly) wiring needs. The Corsair fans came with the AIO, and I ordered a single/matching one for the rear exhaust.

I'd expect the 7950X3D to completely smoke the Threadripper in games. Wonder how the comparison would be in something less GPU intensive like CounterStrike. Wouldn't be surprised if it's twice as fast. Or even more than 2x.

Yea I found some benches from different reviews showing the 1950X at 77FPS and the 7950X3d at 182FPS in GTA5. And I think the 7950X3D may still have been GPU limited in the test.

Last edited:
If I'm being picky....

1. Rip that 12PWR sticker off the GPU power cable
2. General cable tidy up
3. Change the Corsair fans to Lian Li ones so they all match
4. GPU support bracket as mentioned above
5. Move to AIO to the roof, although as it's a 420 it might not fit?

And a personal thing,

6. Ditch the Unicorn puke RGB and go with a subtle, single colour 👀

Back