PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable error

Last edited:
I have the data, it was not used in another computer before. Thanks, I'll try this out, I've backed up all the data today.

question : Is the hdd that works in the laptop sata 1.0 and the ssd sata 2.0 (or 3.0)?

From Wiki
SATA 1.5 Gbit/s and SATA 3 Gbit/s
The designers of SATA standard as an overall goal aimed for backward and forward compatibility with future revisions of the SATA standard. To prevent interoperability problems that could occur when next generation SATA drives are installed on motherboards with standard legacy SATA 1.5 Gbit/s host controllers, many manufacturers have made it easy to switch those newer drives to the previous standard's mode. Examples of such provisions include:

• Seagate/Maxtor has added a user-accessible jumper-switch, known as the "force 150", to enable the drive switch between forced 1.5 Gbit/s and 1.5/3 Gbit/s negotiated operation.
  • Western Digital uses a jumper setting called OPT1 enabled to force 1.5 Gbit/s data transfer speed (OPT1 is enabled by putting the jumper on pins 5 and 6).
  • Samsung drives can be forced to 1.5 Gbit/s mode using software that may be downloaded from the manufacturer's website. Configuring some Samsung drives in this manner requires the temporary use of a SATA-2 (SATA 3.0 Gbit/s) controller while programming the drive.

But that shouldn't matter as the SSD worked fine for 2 and a half years before this.
In the same computer where it is now having issues? If that's the case, you can probably ignore my suggestion above. That is only likely to help if it's a drive that has been cloned with the wrong settings or moved from a UEFI computer to one with an older BIOS.

I think both are SATA 2.0. But that shouldn't matter as the SSD worked fine for 2 and a half years before this.
Was the SSD in the other laptop running with no problems for 2.5 years? Or running in the Lenovo G550 ?

Normally you can't switch OS partitions from one machine to another and expect it to work. Only if the drive contained data without any OS then it's possible without using software specifically for migrating OS partitions to different machines. Does the other machine (working laptop with no problems) have a Broadcom PXE ROM choice in the BIOS boot section?

If you really want the SSD to run in the problem laptop then reinstall W10 with the SSD in the laptop where you want it to work.

Last edited:
Btw try just plugging the ssd with everything else unplugged. So remove the odd, remove wifi card, etc.

If ssd detected, then it's maybe power issue with the motherboard

In the same computer where it is now having issues? If that's the case, you can probably ignore my suggestion above. That is only likely to help if it's a drive that has been cloned with the wrong settings or moved from a UEFI computer to one with an older BIOS.

Yes, in the same one.

Btw, does that convert MBR command in diskpart work in W7 as well? I guess it does but better to ask first.

Was the SSD in the other laptop running with no problems for 2.5 years? Or running in the Lenovo G550 ?

Running in the G550.

Does the other machine (working laptop with no problems) have a Broadcom PXE ROM choice in the BIOS boot section?

I don't have it ATM, but judging by my googling "Thinkpad W500 Broadcom PXE", it probably does. But the PXE error on the problem laptop appeared BEFORE me testing the SSD in that functioning laptop, if that's what you are aiming for.

If you really want the SSD to run in the problem laptop then reinstall W10 with the SSD in the laptop where you want it to work.

Yeah, will probably need to do it either way, since before this happened I was planning to do a clean install and then clone it with Macrium Reflect.

One thing I did notice in my motherboard bios was in the section to enable the Intel Lan Controller, it had a subsection to enable/disable the PXE Rom. PXE Rom was disabled.

On your bios screenshot above you list the boot order priority. At the bottom of the screen there are additional options. If you move the cursor so PCI LAN is selected and press "ENTER" key, do you get a sub-menu?

No, you can only move it up and down the boot priority list.

Btw, yesterday I bought the SATA to USB adapter and tried booting with the USB HDD option at the top of the boot order, it doesn't work, while it gets recognized and works in Windows on the other laptop. On the other hand, booting from USB key with W10 ISO works. Why is that the case I have no idea. Next I will try diskpart cleaning the drive and installing W10 on it as the last resort before I send it to the repair shop.

No, you can only move it up and down the boot priority list.

Btw, yesterday I bought the SATA to USB adapter and tried booting with the USB HDD option at the top of the boot order, it doesn't work, while it gets recognized and works in Windows on the other laptop. On the other hand, booting from USB key with W10 ISO works. Why is that the case I have no idea. Next I will try diskpart cleaning the drive and installing W10 on it as the last resort before I send it to the repair shop.

And when you sent it to the repair shop, it'll goes back too you fixed. But the service person says "uh... We did nothing. Nothings wrong with it"

That's what happened once with my Sony Vaio tap 11 tablet/laptop thingy ROFL

One thing you tried without success is to boot Windows in Safe mode? It might be a recent Windows update if it worked for 2.5 years and suddenly stopped.

Nope, will try it later today. That is F8 right?
Yes, but if you are using W10 or higher look for info on the internet regarding using F8/safe mode.

Edit: I can still use F8 similar to W7 but only after enabling the functionality in W10.

Last edited:
Back