The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt revealed

Between this, the new Dragon Age, and Borderlands I don't know how Ima get anything done in the next 3 months...

Yeah...it is quite a pain :D

I really need to work a lot atm and have no time left for gaming...stupid students who want their lecture every week!! It was good times back than, when every week I updated my COD K/D on the blackboard...now there is nothing to update anymore :cry:

Opening cinematic:

Nerdgasm :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the difference is the previous trailer was a trailer and this is not :)

It is opening cinematic for the game itself and that makes it very different as it has completely different purpose to a game / movie trailer.

Well, the difference is the previous trailer was a trailer and this is not :)

It is opening cinematic for the game itself and that makes it very different as it has completely different purpose to a game / movie trailer.

Yeah that's it. I used the wrong words.

There are two playable characters in the game. Geralt and an undisclosed female.

Minimum System Requirements
  • Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
  • AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
  • Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
  • AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
  • RAM 6GB
  • OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
  • DirectX 11
  • HDD Space 40 GB
Recommended System Requirements
  • Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz
  • AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
  • Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770
  • AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
  • RAM 8GB
  • OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
  • DirectX 11
  • HDD Space 40 GB

i-Gj9DGH2-1050x10000.jpg

I"m guessing recommended specs usually means something like 1080p, highish settings with 30+ fps most of the time.

I pretty much have the recommended specs (i7 4770, 16gb ram, r9 290) so if you guys are willing to sponsor me a copy I can find out what kind of performance you get with recommended settings :p

Crap my 2500k is finally getting long in the tooth. I guess with my 4Ghz overclock I'll manage. I'm nowhere near wanting to replace the whole motherboard and all, damn Intel monopoly chancing processor specs all the time.

Crap my .2500k is finally getting long in the tooth. I guess with my 4Ghz overclock I'll manage. I'm nowhere near wanting to replace the whole motherboard and all, damn Intel monopoly chancing processor specs all the time.
No way man. The 2500k is still a brilliant processor and I sincerely doubt you'd be able to tell a meaningful difference between it and a 4790K in this game, or any game for that matter. Especially if it's at 4GHz.

I have three systems, one with a 3770K that turbos to 4GHz, a 3550 at stock, and a QX6700 @3GHz. Most of the time even the old Core2 Quad is enough... I mean even it is way faster than the console CPUs. I paired my old GTX670 with it and it runs everything with good framerates.

I certainly can't tell any difference at all between the 3770K and the 3550. Wish I'd gotten the regular 3770 but I got the 3770K in a trade. I need the virtualization features for my work and stupid Intel broke them on the K series (up until now). So I have to use the 3550 system for that stuff :(.

Last edited:
No way man. The 2500k is still a brilliant processor and I sincerely doubt you'd be able to tell a meaningful difference between it and a 4790K in this game, or any game for that matter. Especially if it's at 4GHz.

I have three systems, one with a 3770K that turbos to 4GHz, a 3550 at stock, and a QX6700 @3GHz. Most of the time even the old Core2 Quad is enough... I mean even it is way faster than the console CPUs. I paired my old GTX670 with it and it runs everything with good framerates.

I certainly can't tell any difference at all between the 3770K and the 3550. Wish I'd gotten the regular 3770 but I got the 3770K in a trade. I need the virtualization features for my work and stupid Intel broke them on the K series (up until now). So I have to use the 3550 system for that stuff :(.

The 2500K is indeed good, but is starting to falter significantly in some games, where I'm becoming massively CPU bound (100% CPU load + slowdowns and sluggish controls in game) if I have a browser (in this case Chrome) open as well a couple other programs (none taking more than 2-4% CPU). I'm at the point where depending on the game I have to potentially close everything else down prior to playing a game. And I dislike not having my other stuff open while I game as I like to keep updated on things while I game.

So, this year, I'm probably going to upgrade to a Broadwell CPU. Might as well since the power to performance delta is going to be absolutely massive compared to my venerable 2500K. More performance with less power consumption. I can't wait.

Regards,
SB

The 2500K is indeed good, but is starting to falter significantly in some games, where I'm becoming massively CPU bound (100% CPU load + slowdowns and sluggish controls in game) if I have a browser (in this case Chrome) open as well a couple other programs (none taking more than 2-4% CPU). I'm at the point where depending on the game I have to potentially close everything else down prior to playing a game. And I dislike not having my other stuff open while I game as I like to keep updated on things while I game.

So, this year, I'm probably going to upgrade to a Broadwell CPU. Might as well since the power to performance delta is going to be absolutely massive compared to my venerable 2500K. More performance with less power consumption. I can't wait.

Regards,
SB
Which games struggle on a 2500K? Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't ever heard of such a thing.

Which games struggle on a 2500K? Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't ever heard of such a thing.

I wouldn't call it struggling but in my experience moving from i5 2500k @4.2GHz to i7 4770k @4.1GHz made a visible difference in Crysis 3 to my minimum frames playing with just one R9 290X and obvious one when playing with 2 R9 290X :)

98% of time i5 is fine though!

The 2 games I'm playing most right now are Final Fantasy 14 (in a crowded zone like Mor Dhona the controls and framerate become sluggish as the CPU is maxed at 100% on all cores while attempting to deal with all the PCs and NPCs) as well as Warframe occasionally.

I expect things to get worse (better in terms of graphics and CPU use, worse in terms of performance on my 2500K) as developers start to push games more now that they aren't limited to X360/PS3 as base requirements for their games.

It can also happen with other games, but less frequently. It's something that never used to happen if I go back 1-2 years. But as games start using more CPU, I'm finding it less and less capable of running a game + other light CPU apps. I've held off upgrading until now, but this year I'll definitely be upgrading finally.

DX12 and/or Mantle would likely extend the lifespan of my CPU. But Mantle adoption so far is a tad slow. And DX12 games won't be hitting in volume for at least another year or more.

Regards,
SB

Back