The U.S. price of 80GB PS3 = $499 today, 40GB model on Nov. 2 = $399

one

Unruly Member
Veteran
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=SNE:US&sid=aDU0grCHGfa0

Sony Cuts PlayStation 3 Price by $100 to Boost Sales (Update1)

By Michael White

Oct. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp., the world's biggest maker of video-game consoles, cut the U.S. price of a PlayStation 3 model by 17 percent and introduced a less-expensive version to spur holiday sales.

The PlayStation 3 with an 80-gigabyte hard drive was cut to $499 from $599, Jack Tretton, head of Tokyo-based Sony's U.S. video-game unit, said in an interview. The reduced price is effective immediately, Sony said in a statement today. The company also introduced a $399 model with 40 gigabytes of storage that goes on sale Nov. 2.

The $399 model comes with a Blu-ray DVD of ``Spider-Man,'' highlighting the console's movie-playing abilities.

Drop the price is always a good move, but I think Sony should have made this closer to Halo III lunch and break some of the momemtum MS have been building since Halo III launch.

Drop the price is always a good move, but I think Sony should have made this closer to Halo III lunch and break some of the momemtum MS have been building since Halo III launch.

Nah, better now than drown in Halo 3.

Hopefully this will boost the PS3 the games and Blu-Ray movies.

Without a good software, price drop is not very effective.

Well I dont know. I bought the 60GB version and I am 100% satisfied so far. I can find plenty of great games. Even if some are on the 360 as well.

Motorstorm is exceptionally fun and I find the gameplay unique.

I am also very satisfied with Resistance and although it doesnt look as good as Gears, it looks good enough and easily comparable visually and in gameplay to many newer great games. Really I find these two games highly underrated.

I downloaded many demos from Playstation Store inlcuding Tekken5 and I am very impressed with the amount of content I can actually find.

Heavenly Sword, and Rachet and Clank are probably my next games.

Without a good software, price drop is not very effective.
In Europe, the price drop seems (too early to be definitive) to affect sales positively.
Obvious I know but even with few games I think the playstation brand could have on its own steal some thunder from Halo III launch.

IMHO.

Well, i don't think so. They didn't have much, and the buzz around Halo 3 was too high to make any good move. Now that it's going down, it's the right moment to make an announcement

In Europe, the price drop seems (too early to be definitive) to affect sales positively.
Obvious I know but even with few games I think the playstation brand could have on its own steal some thunder from Halo III launch.

IMHO.
Europe is another story, Halo 3 is not so huge as in the US and it's the first price cut for PS3 unlike this second drop for the US market. Then soccer games will arrive.

There has also been an FCC leak about another SKU coming, "001" vs. the 40GB model.

SCEA have said nothing about the 80GB being discontinued right?

Some speculate that this new 001 SKU could be the new White colour model, the one already introduced for Japan...but would they need FCC testing if the colour of the paintjob is different?

Nonetheless I think the new SKU will be the replacement to the 80GB - if not in hard drive size, then at least in silicon. Although no one's cracked one of these things open yet, we're still going with the assumption that that the 40GB units begun the transition to 65nm components, where the 80GB has yet to.

There has also been an FCC leak about another SKU coming, "001" vs. the 40GB model.

SCEA have said nothing about the 80GB being discontinued right?

Some speculate that this new 001 SKU could be the new White colour model, the one already introduced for Japan...but would they need FCC testing if the colour of the paintjob is different?

Not sure..you'd think not. But on the other hand, IIRC, the sticker submitted for the back of the machine is white in that filing instead of black, like for the others. Might mean nothing, of course.

Good move from Sony. Hard to say what impact it will have given the lack of software, but I think it will keep them somewhat competitive during the holidays.

Not sure..you'd think not. But on the other hand, IIRC, the sticker submitted for the back of the machine is white in that filing instead of black, like for the others. Might mean nothing, of course.

Ahh thanks for the info, stickers are a give away, white is coming.

So the other 89% were 40GB models? That's seems a pretty quick uptake. That's based on a 178% sales increase since the price cut\new SKU.
Hmm, you've got it wrong

Say for instance the PS3 sold 100 units the week before the drop. For a 178% sales increase, that means the PS3 sold 178 units the week of the price drop. Given that they said that 89% of the sales was the 60GB. Out of that 178, 158 or 159 would have have 60GB and the rest 40GB.

Hmm, you've got it wrong

Say for instance the PS3 sold 100 units the week before the drop. For a 178% sales increase, that means the PS3 sold 178 units the week of the price drop. Given that they said that 89% of the sales was the 60GB. Out of that 178, 158 or 159 would have have 60GB and the rest 40GB.

Uh, that would be a 78% increase. A 178% increase over 100 would be 278 total. :)

100% increase means you double. ;)

Back