The technology of Alan Wake *spawn

Well R&C: Tools Of Destruction had very good IQ at least on my set and didn't looked blurry or sub-HD at all..also the impressions from the ones that have seen the game in action like blim from gamersyde said it looked great when demonstrated on a big HDTV.

The most confusing part in Remedy's answer is that whole bit about feeding the 360's scaler with a 720p signal..I guess we have to wait and see the game in action on our sets to judge, though I'm sure and hope that digitalfoundry will have an in-depth analysis on the game really soon.

R&C: TOD had an extremely good IQ, even on the beamer setup, but R&C: CiT had some noticable aliasing issues (especially the Clank sections!)...I think that they have changed something for the new R&C?!

R&C: TOD had an extremely good IQ, even on the beamer setup, but R&C: CiT had some noticable aliasing issues (especially the Clank sections!)...I think that they have changed something for the new R&C?!

Yeah having played the demo for CiT recently I was thinking the same thing - what happened to the IQ of the game? assuming it's running at the same engine as the ToD it's really weird that CiT's IQ is definitely blurrier and there are a lot of jaggies...it looks like a sub-HD (which it is) but with a blur effect on top of it.

As you said maybe they changed something in the CiT version of the engine.

The most confusing part in Remedy's answer is that whole bit about feeding the 360's scaler with a 720p signal..
Software compositing. 540p geometry meets 720p HUD.

It appears there's an assumption going around that all scaling on the Xbox 360 has to be performed by "the" scaling logic in Xenos. This is not the case. And why would it be? There's nothing that prevents you from rolling your own software scaling on the CPU.

Yeah having played the demo for CiT recently I was thinking the same thing - what happened to the IQ of the game? assuming it's running at the same engine as the ToD it's really weird that CiT's IQ is definitely blurrier and there are a lot of jaggies...it looks like a sub-HD (which it is) but with a blur effect on top of it.

As you said maybe they changed something in the CiT version of the engine.

The blurry look was gone in the final game but the game still aliased a bit more than TOD, so perhaps they used 2X MSAA instead of QAA in the final game?

Given the dark nature of AW, much like Siren, I don't think the low res will necessarily harm the overall look considering what they're doing with the game overall. Siren's IQ was actually pretty good despite the low resolution and most importantly, it ran extremely well without any hitches. I'd take that over 720p with a finicky frame rate.

Software compositing. 540p geometry meets 720p HUD.

It appears there's an assumption going around that all scaling on the Xbox 360 has to be performed by "the" scaling logic in Xenos. This is not the case. And why would it be? There's nothing that prevents you from rolling your own software scaling on the CPU.
AFAIK halo3 does that, i could be wrong though :D

I was thinking when they say a 720p image comes out, do you think they mean that all the resolutions of the effects and geometry averaged=720p. That would be a large play of words by them but it seems possible.

No. They mean any framebuffers lower than 720p are upscaled to 720p, and 720p buffers applied over the top (UI), prior to XB360's output chip getting its hands on them. There will be no video scaling by Xenos on a 720p display, but it will upscale to 1080 on such displays.

What I dont get is the following tho: The 360's OS/Scaler is the one responsible for upscaling. Remedy said the signal that goes to the scaler is 720p. So before the 360's scaler even touches it, it's a 720p signal. But becouse the geometry asset is 540p, it'll be listed that way? Right?

the 720p input gets elaborated in a way to guarantee the best performance and visuals. so if there's too much to handle, graphical compromises come into play.
Personally, saying this game runs at 540p is not a fully correct statement.

I believe Remedy has been clear enough in its message.

In the end all are combined to form one 720p image
I won't take many risks assuming that this sentence mean that the color buffer is 720p, if so "the game is 720p", right?
Now, there's still room for some doubt, but i'm pretty confidant that the games will run at 720p.

It's all very confusing. I find it hard to understand without developers of the game telling us what they have done especifically, and clearing up any doubts people may have. There's an article in a russian web page that tries to deal with the subject of resolution. They point out that the only component of the engine running at 540p is the opaque geometry:

Once the web came two ten-minute excerpt from Alan Wake of HD-quality and relevant screenshots lovers take Pixels stated that the resolution is 960x547 in the game with a four-MSAA.

Remedy hastened to comment on the situation, noting that the actual resolution of the game is still 720p. However, technical experts from Gametrailers and Beyond3D fully apprised of the situation. Further quote from Gametrailers:

"Framebuffer (framebuffer) indeed demonstrates the native resolution of 720p. The user interface is rendered in 720p, as well as some post-processing effects (motion blur, noise filter, depth of field, SSAO, and so on). At the same time, opaque geometry rendered in the resolution of 547p, then the software can scale to 720p, and then added to the framebuffer.

«C technical point of view, referring to the native resolution of 720p, Remedy is not lying. Just the developers did not tell the whole truth. Real framebuffer is really in 720p - just resolution framebuffer and use, referring to the resolution of games. On the other hand, in this case, the framebuffer consists of several components, some of which are rendered in a resolution below 720p ».

Beyond3D believes that resolution of the game you need to take permission, which rendered opaque geometry, but the source also agree that in the framebuffer Alan Wake a lot of other components in 720p, so clearly say what the game resolution is difficult.

That is why Alan Wake - a unique case. In this case, we can not say that the game runs in 547p, but also to say that the native resolution of 720p in the game - also not quite correct.

Optimization ... optimization never changes ...

http://www.gametech.ru/cgi-bin/show.pl?option=news&id=12408

Personally, saying this game runs at 540p is not a fully correct statement.
Why not ? In normal words that IS the game's native resolution & it's the primary "thing". Whenever you talk of native resolution of a game you are directly referring to the opaque geometry resolution, like for eg. when you change the resolution in a PC game you are changing the opaque geometry resolution...you don't refer to the resolution of effects or post process, those are secondary things.

I find it strange that its only now that people are showing concerns over the resolution of effects & post process being different from the native resolution of a game, its even more strange when you see people think that its something confusing & new. Frankly speaking when has there been a game that uses synonymous resolution for everything ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not ? In normal words that IS the game's native resolution & it's the primary "thing". Whenever you talk of native resolution of a game you are directly referring to the opaque geometry resolution ,like for eg. when you change the resolution in a PC game you are directly mentioning the opaque geometry resolution...you don't refer to the resolution of effects or post process, those are secondary things.

I find it strange that its only now that people are showing concerns over the resolution of effects & post process being different from the native resolution of a game, its even more strange when you see people think that its something confusing & new. Frankly speaking when has there been a game that uses synonymous resolution for everything ?

that's a bit reductive of an argument. the geometry buffer suggests that it's 540p, okay, but you can't deliberately just exclude the other aspects such as effects like lightings or post processing that may actually display at a higher resolution. It's like looking at the Gioconda and say that the figure is smiling, while the other person tells you that it is not. Who's right? both are right and wrong, imo.

It's all very confusing. I find it hard to understand without developers of the game telling us what they have done especifically, and clearing up any doubts people may have. There's an article in a russian web page that tries to deal with the subject of resolution. They point out that the only component of the engine running at 540p is the opaque geometry:

They really just need to leave the subject alone if they think Alan Wake is a unique case. Scene rendering is how things are currently defined and is the only component of relevance when determining resolution.

that's a bit reductive of an argument. the geometry buffer suggests that it's 540p, okay, but you can't deliberately just exclude the other aspects such as effects like lightings or post processing that may actually display at a higher resolution. It's like looking at the Gioconda and say that the figure is smiling, while the other person tells you that it is not. Who's right? both are right and wrong, imo.

But shadowmap, PP etc res wont change how many pixels exist onscreen. If framebuffer is 960x540 then that is the amount of pixels available, the main resolution. If shadowmap res is higher or lower wont change amount of pixels nor image sharpness, just shadow detail and/or quality radius.

About shadowmaps, PP etc having different resolution goes for almost all other games. This is nothing new. Shadows is one thing that tends to be higher (more pixels) than 1280x720. IIRC FC2 on consoles has 1024x1024 shadowmap res, 512x512 reflection map res etc.

IMO from my reading of their statements they are doing sub 720p, and the screenshots certainly look like they are.
Then again they havent said "We do not do bullshots" have they? ;)

Well native resolution in general term is none other than opaque geometry resolution, its the prime resolution of the rendered image..every other effect is directly affected by this resolution & which is why its consider as the main resolution. A lot of games do shadow & reflection mapping at resolution like 1024*1024 while pulling off 2048*2048 textures at some places & doing a quarter resolution post processing...while the actual native resolution of "opaque geometry" is 720p.

What would you consider when someone asks you about the native resolution of a game that fulfills all the conditions mentioned above ?

EDIT: I honestly running out of words to explain/debate any further because I don't have much technical knowledge, so I'll like to rest the case for now until experts show their view over this.

But shadowmap, PP etc res wont change how many pixels exist onscreen. If framebuffer is 960x540 then that is the amount of pixels available, the main resolution. If shadowmap res is higher or lower wont change amount of pixels nor image sharpness, just shadow detail and/or quality radius.

About shadowmaps, PP etc having different resolution goes for almost all other games. This is nothing new. Shadows is one thing that tends to be higher (more pixels) than 1280x720. IIRC FC2 on consoles has 1024x1024 shadowmap res, 512x512 reflection map res etc.

yes, of course. but we have an "if" there.
once ascertained, it'll be set down in black and white. now, would you go so far as to state that this game has to be considered 540p? hmm..

yes, of course. but we have an "if" there.
once ascertained, it'll be set down in black and white. now, would you go so far as to state that this game has to be considered 540p? hmm..
Yes, because every game we've counted resolution on has been treated this way. It is the standard measure. The only thorough alternative is to list 50 different rendertarget resolutions for every game, which is absurbed and and doesn't give any useful comparison. This isn't about applying a number to how good a game looks - "It's only 540p so it looks worse than a 720p game". How good a game looks is subjective and dependent on many factors. It's about comparing engines. Take two similar games and compare the opaque geometry complexity and rendering quality, and you'll have a reasonable comparison of what rendering performance the developers have extracted from the hardware.

Furthermore, the opaque geometry makes up by far the glut of a player's visual experience. There'd be no point rendering particles, UI, smoke etc. at 2160p if the opaque geometry is being rendered at SD resolutions no AA. The game overall will have poor IQ and look rough. If there are cutbacks to be made in buffer resolutions, it'll be made in particles, shadows and so forth that don't have as prominent an appearance in the final image. Aiming for high opaque geometry resolution and high AA is a smart target if you want your game to look good on an HD set. There's a good argument to be made for lower resolutions as long as you crank up the AA (real-life SDTV looks better than computer games), but achieving that high AA is as much a challenge as rendering to a high resolution.

^Shifty, I was thinking no one has commented on it until B3D found out so is their use of post-processing working really well for them? For example the guy on neogaf called Blim-blim, he is used to seeing upscaling and the lack of sharpness, etc, he didn't notice though.

Back