The technology of Alan Wake *spawn

for comparison it's the same resolution, AA and visual style than Forbidden Siren on the PSN
it's the same choice

Reach hasn't been confirmed to be 720p yet, in fact it's quite likely to be something less, and without AA too.

The low res in AW might be because of the lighting, or even the framebuffer sizes (80MB is a lot to spend on this, going full 720p could have taken away too much from textures...). Or it's just the tiling, who knows.

for comparison it's the same type of resolution, AA and visual style than Forbidden Siren on the PSN
it's the same choice

And the same genre.
It´s a funny coincidence, though.

More questions: Is the engine using the same resolution for cutscenes (real time or not) and in-game? Are the cutscenes, from what we know, real-time rendered, or just prerecorded?

What I dont get is the following tho: The 360's OS/Scaler is the one responsible for upscaling. Remedy said the signal that goes to the scaler is 720p. So before the 360's scaler even touches it, it's a 720p signal. But becouse the geometry asset is 540p, it'll be listed that way? Right?

And the same genre.

More questions: Is the engine using the same resolution for cutscenes (real time or not) and in-game? Are the cutscenes, from what we know, real-time rendered, or just prerecorded?
The vast majority are pre-rendered with post processing elements, and in 720p.

As far as I know this game was originally meant to run on Pc. That'd explain why they needed to find some compromise to make it performing well on a weaker hardware.
Plus, it's kind of an open world game, many things to handle on screen, no wonder the developers had to shape the whole creature in order to run nicely on a console. The result is a great looking game, thanks to the developers' skill.

This game is a work of art, whether you want to admit it or not.

Also I think they use a more detailed character models for cutscenes if I'm not mistaken.
Yes higher quality shading as well as higher poly models.Almost same as UC2 which uses higher quality skin shading but same poly model for cutscenes. (for Drake atleast)

What I dont get is the following tho: The 360's OS/Scaler is the one responsible for upscaling. Remedy said the signal that goes to the scaler is 720p. So before the 360's scaler even touches it, it's a 720p signal. But becouse the geometry asset is 540p, it'll be listed that way? Right?

Yeah but how can the signal that goes to the scaler be 720- when the framebuffer is at 540p? if the game runs at 540p then the signal to the scaler must've been 540p and then the 360 upscales the image to 720p, 1080i/p e.t.c. Isn't that right?

I'm confused. :rolleyes:

Yeah but how can the signal that goes to the scaler be 720- when the framebuffer is at 540p? if the game runs at 540p then the signal to the scaler must've been 540p and then the 360 upscales the image to 720p, 1080i/p e.t.c. Isn't that right?

I'm confused. :rolleyes:

Thats how it should be I know. But Remedy said that the 360's OS is responsible for upsclaing, but the input signal is 720p before beeing scaled. In theorie, if the 360's OS is set to 720p, then the game wouldnt have to be upscaled to get there.

"Modern renderers don't work by rendering everything to a certain final on-screen resolution, but use a combination of techniques and buffers to compose the final detail-rich frames, optimizing to improve the visual experience and game performance.

Alan Wake's renderer on the Xbox360 uses about 50 different intermediate render targets in different resolutions, color depths and anti-alias settings for different purposes. These are used for example for cascaded shadow maps from sun & moon, shadow maps from flashlights, flares and street lights, z-prepass, tiled color buffers, light buffers for deferred rendering, vector blur, screen-space ambient occlusion, auto-exposure, HUD, video buffers, menus and so on. In the end all are combined to form one 720p image, with all intermediate buffer sizes selected to optimize image quality and GPU performance. All together the render targets take about 80 MB of memory, equivalent in size to over twenty 720p buffers."

there's not a single word that suggests that the game runs at 540p, on the contrary. I don't understand how you guys are not getting this. o_O

And the same genre.

Prerecorded.

"Modern renderers don't work by rendering everything to a certain final on-screen resolution, but use a combination of techniques and buffers to compose the final detail-rich frames, optimizing to improve the visual experience and game performance.

Alan Wake's renderer on the Xbox360 uses about 50 different intermediate render targets in different resolutions, color depths and anti-alias settings for different purposes. These are used for example for cascaded shadow maps from sun & moon, shadow maps from flashlights, flares and street lights, z-prepass, tiled color buffers, light buffers for deferred rendering, vector blur, screen-space ambient occlusion, auto-exposure, HUD, video buffers, menus and so on. In the end all are combined to form one 720p image, with all intermediate buffer sizes selected to optimize image quality and GPU performance. All together the render targets take about 80 MB of memory, equivalent in size to over twenty 720p buffers."

there's not a single word that suggests that the game runs at 540p, on the contrary. I don't understand how you guys are not getting this. o_O

Old quote. Just read the previous post.

Prerecorded.

That simplifies things. From a subjective perspective, the material released from the site seems a bit too blurred. I´ve to admit that the last bunch of releases have repeated the low resolution buffer for geometry too often :(. MSAAx4, motion blur and a low resolution buffer don´t mix too well but in any case the nature of the script and the argument support that "flou" look I suppose.

Some could argue that it´s a bit towards David Hamilton style, if just you know the artist.

Is it really a "technological" reason behind the last released subHD games? Not in the case of FFXIII (XTS), thinks DF. What about SC:Conviction and Alan Wake? Two similar settings (to a degree), similar resolution. Is it a trend? Too complex engines? Is the long development process a coincidence? May be these games """rushed""" in some way?

The contrary. Their comments avoids saying native res and says the obvious that applies to all games. Different buffer sizes like shadowmap res, PP etc. Their response is well written but clearly in a manner to confuse the non tech oriented people in an attempt to avoid touching final native res/framebuffer.

Some example with say Far Cry 2. Lets say I set it to 1440x900 res which will be framebuffer size. The amount of pixels to display graphical data. Now I have shadowmap res at 2048x2048, reflection map at 1024x1024 and say HDR render target at 1024x1024 and PP at 1280x720. Still the native res is 1440x900 and the other effects res are downscaled or upscaled by engine and/or can be stretched/cover into a larger area without loosing quality. Now my GPU then finally uscales it to my monitors native res of 1680x1050.

I mean I promise you there is no game with shadowmap buffer the same size as frame buffer! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Old quote. Just read the previous post.

old quote? that's the last message we got from the actual creator of the game, which should mean more than simple suppositions. But it looks like you lot are eager to demonstrate the game being sub-hd and thus discredit Remedy's statement. :rolleyes:

Back