The real battle isn't DS vs. PSP...

The hand held marketspace is far bigger than many expected, but I don't think that should be suprising considering how well the Gameboys have sold traditionally. People want portable gaming, the DS gives them that.

Quote:
While PSP on the other hand has a big movie support on its “new platformâ€￾ (the UMD) from the get go (that is the US’s release onward).

You actually think UMD movies will sell?

How they do on the market is not the point. The point is it HAS them from the start. And that much support this early on a new platform is impressive.

And maybe the strongest advantage DS may have over PSP is price of the unit and games. Right now they are relatively the same- though more PSP titles are for $50 than DS, DS still has many titles with the same price.
But again, would people sacrifice the “farâ€￾ techenial advantage of PSP to save a couple of bucks?
In anycase, having those two units at the same price makes me think that Niny are pulling a fast one on thie customers. Along with its games. Most games look like GBA games. Why have the same price as a console game (PSP’s games in general)?

How they do on the market is not the point. The point is it HAS them from the start. And that much support this early on a new platform is impressive.

Yeah but the point has zero significance. ;) :LOL:

z said:
In anycase, having those two units at the same price makes me think that Niny are pulling a fast one on thie customers. Along with its games. Most games look like GBA games. Why have the same price as a console game (PSP’s games in general)?

Tooo many things wrong with this statement... z you need to get your facts straight.

Although you might have had a point if you were talking about GBA games' prices, they sure are way overpriced, at least here in Europe.

And about sales; PSP is out selling DS by 10-15K units per week. Think about what will happen after it gets cut loose on the world.

You missed out one very important fact there. PSP is currently outselling DS by around 15k a week in Japan but overall DS has outsold PSP 2 to 1 there

Another thing is DS hasn’t got enough titles to support its marketed features- namely touch and dual screens. While PSP on the other hand has a big movie support on its “new platformâ€￾ (the UMD) from the get go (that is the US’s release onward).

So 15 or so games taking advantage of DS's features (touch screen, mic ect) isn't enough but 5 to 6 movies for PSP is "big support" for PSP?..

And I think we know which people will chose when comparing the two systems side by side in stores

No we don't know, your fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

This is a great thread, but I have to crush some opinions on this thread quick.

Its going to cost you here in america most likely 500$ or more to get a 3 gig psp for music .

Ok first of all the PSP is not a MP3 player only device. Does the ipod have video game capabilities? No, of course not so comparing the PSP to the ipod right now as an overall machine to me is quite stupid. The PSP has SO much more to offer. The ipod and psp are in different lanes right now. Oh and the $500 for 3 gigs of music is probably correct now but in 2 to 3 years will be competly different. The more people that buy memory sticks and the bigger the sticks become the lower the price will be.

and my female friends love the system . Right now they don't care my psp but that might change at some point

Yeah and that point will be when they see how pretty the psp plays movies. Or probably when Sony enables the psp to get on the internet and talk to their friends using msn instant messenger.

I just don't agree on the software line up . THe launch isn't really that impressive here in the states though its slightly better than the ds line up at launch

Everything is wrong with this quote. Maybe the psp launh games might not be your thing but lets be honest the psp launch games alone are better and more plentiful than every DS game to date. Go to Gamerankings, the DS has 10 games with a 7.0 or greater, while the PSP already has 15. And this is before the official launch of the system in the US.

Why have the same price as a console game (PSP???s games in general)?

Because the games look and play like the console games. Just because Nintendo slowed the progress of handhelds very very much over a 15 year time span with weak graphics, production value, sound, and many other things and charged low prices doesn't mean Sony can't charge more for better games. You every heard of the qoute 'you get what you pay for'.
________
ROYALE

Last edited by a moderator:
Not exactly. But I do think Nintendo's DS is an expensive piece of subterfuge meant to steal some of the excitement from Sony's PSP

If you were a Sony employee I'd call that big headed self importance in the extreme. As it is I'm not sure what to make of it. I mean common, be realistic. Nintendo don't make entire new games systems purely to steal some thunder from a competitor..

Everything is wrong with this quote. Maybe the psp launh games might not be your thing but lets be honest the psp launch games alone are better and more plentiful than every DS game to date. Go to Gamerankings, the DS has 10 games with a 7.0 or greater, while the PSP already has 15. And this is before the official launch of the system in the US.

PSP doesn't even have a single game with 10 reviews yet on GameRankings (unlike DS which has games reviewed in the 50's). The majority of those 15 PSP games your talking about have around 3 to 4 reviews each. Games don't level out and come near their true score on GameRankings until they hit around 30 reviews. A game doesn't even officially count on GR until it passes 10 reviews. Basically your painting a very rosey but very misleading picture their.

Ok first of all the PSP is not a MP3 player only device. Does the ipod have video game capabilities? No, of course not so comparing the PSP to the ipod right now as an overall machine to me is quite stupid. The PSP has SO much more to offer. The ipod and psp are in different lanes right now. Oh and the $500 for 3 gigs of music is probably correct now but in 2 to 3 years will be competly different. The more people that buy memory sticks and the bigger the sticks become the lower the price will be.

You need to read my post . I was specificly talking about the ipod and other mp3 players not being over priced. ITs a self contained unit that will play 3 gigs of music for 200$

IF someone wants to listen to music they are going to get an ipod or another mp3 device and not a psp. If they wnat to watch movies they can get a nice 5inch dvd portable for 100$ now at best buy .

For the psp you have to spend 250$ up front . Then a certian amount of money for each of the media features .

You need 40$-60$ a pop for games , You need to spend what 25-35$ on umd movies . You need to spend 50-75$ per 512 megs of storage for music or video .

So while it may seem like your getting more with a psp than an ipod your really not as everything more that you do with it you need to spend money.

You can easily fill up the 200$ ipod with music for free (i'm sure you have a cd collection ) but you can't put any music at all on a 250$ psp.

See what I'm trying to say ? One is self contained , the other you need to spend extra on each feature you use

It maybe rosy Teasy but read the reviews. Do you honestly think that they will go down that much. I totally respect the DS and what Nintendo are doing with every gaming cell in my body. But I just trying to be honest. I respect the few games that received over an 8.0 for the DS. I think the Mario and Wario games seem to be great in their own right.

But remember the DS has been out in the US for about 5 months now. Can you imagne how many great games will be out for the PSP in August. I can tell you right now before the game comes out that Tiger Woods PGA Tour, Gran Turismo 4, Hot Shots Golf, Madden 2006, Grand Theft Auto, and Midnight Club 3 will receive an average of 7.0 or higher. All of those games are supposed to come out within 5 months of the launch date. That would be over 20 games rated 7.0 or higher within 5 months.

So 15 or so games taking advantage of DS's features (touch screen, mic ect) isn't enough but 5 to 6 movies for PSP is "big support" for PSP?..

You know I have to get you for this Teasy. Actually there is over 20 movies scheduled to come out for the PSP not 5 or 6.
________
Magic flight launch box review

Actually there is over 20 movies scheduled to come out for the PSP not 5 or 6.
20 by when ? I'm interested to know . mabyei will pick one up

btw there are 80 more games schedualed for release for the ds msot of which will take advantage of the touch screen

Teasy said:
If you were a Sony employee I'd call that big headed self importance in the extreme. As it is I'm not sure what to make of it. I mean common, be realistic. Nintendo don't make entire new games systems purely to steal some thunder from a competitor..

And I think that's exactly the reason Nintendo launched the DS - to steal attention and dull the impact of Sony's PSP.

Nintendo's already seen its console market share gobbled up bigtime in the past 10 years. The handheld arena is the company's last stronghold. As such, Nintendo MUST do everything it can to prevent Sony from coming in and stealing the crown like it did with PlayStation back in '95.

How to combat the PSP? Quickly put together a new system based on existing technologies and put it out there to sell. It's certainly better than allowing Sony and PSP to hog the spotlight for a year - that would be disastrous.

So they throw together DS, put it out there, and of course it's going to sell. Gameboy gamers, I think, have been anxious for new and better handheld technology for a while now (due in no small part to Nintendo's complacency in driving portable technology forward), so they'll gobble this up if they think it will offer something new.

And that's what's happened. Except PSP is now overtaking DS in weekly sales, and that's something Nintendo has to be wary of. But just imagine if Nintendo had stood by idly with GBA while Sony rode in with the sexy and powerful PSP... they'd be in serious trouble right now.

And they may be in serious trouble still. But at least they've shored up support for their product line this past holiday season and the first part of this year.

To sum, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Nintendo hurriedly launched DS (and they certainly did it in unprecedented time - for Nintendo, anyway) simply to beat Sony to market. After all, how many gamers out there will be willing to shell out for TWO new portable systems so close together? I bet Nintendo's banking that the answer is "not many," and now, they've effectively gotten into gamers' wallets before Sony and PSP.

jvd I see what you are saying and it does make sense. If I wanted a mobile device for only watching movies then yeah I will be a portable DVD player. Same goes for MP3 music and the ipod. You are right about this. But if you want it all plus things that the psp will have in the future like cellphone like capabilities, watch tv, getting on the internet, and etc. Then spend a little more and get a psp. I think in a few months the psp will be available (psp only) for about $200.

20 by when ? I'm interested to know . mabyei will pick one up

Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill Vol. 1 and gorgeous Hong Kong chop-socker Hero are the cinematic gems amongst another new batch of PSP UMD films to be released by Buena Vista Home Entertainment.
Nick Cage action flick National Treasure, yo-ho-hoing swashbuckler Pirates of The Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl and flame-grilled dragon fest Reign of Fire make up the five movie line-up from the studio, which is a subsidiary of Disney. All the movies are due for release this spring.

This announcement brings the confirmed number of UMD flicks to over 20, perhaps evidence that those who have already written off the viability of the PSP as a portable movie player should gather up their words, dump them in a popcorn box, douse them in savoury butter, and eat them.

The fact that two third-party film studios - Buena Vista and Lions Gate - have now got in on the UMD act must be hugely encouraging for Sony as it attempts to install the PSP as a truly multimedia device. UMD movies will retail in the States for between $19.99 and $28.95.
No word yet on whether these UMD movies will make it to Europe, but then after Sony's official confirmation that the PSP is to be delayed over here we still don't know when the handheld itself will show up.

So as a special treat for all you long-suffering European PSP owners here's a list of every movie announced so far for PSP. Try not to think about all the jammy Yanks who'll be watching them when the system goes on sale in North America next Friday for $249.99.

Confirmed PSP UMD Movie Line-Up

Hellboy (Sony)

Resident Evil (Capcom)

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (Sony)

Once Upon a Time in Mexico (Sony)

Spider-Man 2 (Sony)

House of the Flying Daggers (Sony)

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (Square Enix)

Kill Bill Vol. 1 (Buena Vista Home Entertainment)

Hero (Buena Vista Home Entertainment)

National Treasure (Buena Vista Home Entertainment)

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (Buena Vista Home Entertainment)

Reign of Fire (Buena Vista Home Entertainment)

Saw (Lions Gate)

Open Water (Lions Gate)

The Punisher (Lions Gate)

Rambo: First Blood (Lions Gate)

Total Recall (Lions Gate)

House of the Dead (Lions Gate)

Plus 6 more unconfirmed titles from Lions Gate.

Some of the unconfirmed titles are Terminator 2, Young Guns, Step Into Liquid, Univeral Solider, and National Lampoon's Van Wilder.
________
Vapir Oxygen

Owing both handhelds... once you see the stuff (beautiful screen) the PSP can do (Movies off MS, Music off MS.... and the games!!)... you'll be PSP luving. The sales in Japan is a reflection of this.

Sales wise worldwide, we'll have to wait about a yr after the PSP is out (worldwide) to make a call, but I have no doubt the PSP is a winner even when it doesn't pull a PS2-like marketshare!

Spiderman2 comes bundled with PSP doesnt it?

Fropm what I've heard from big box retailers in the orlando and tampa areas... demand for the PSP is HUGE. Most best buys are opening at 8:01 just to sell the PSP on Thursday morning...

I want the PSP for Darkstalkers myself... ( my favorite 2d fighter)

This announcement brings the confirmed number of UMD flicks to over 20, perhaps evidence that those who have already written off the viability of the PSP as a portable movie player should gather up their words, dump them in a popcorn box, douse them in savoury butter, and eat them.
there were more than 20 movies released on divX (the competing dvd format), and also more than 20 on betamax. i guess those were successfull formats now that i look back on them in that light...

i think the psp is great, and i love what it's doing for the handheld space. weather people like the psp, or sony for that matter, they can't overlook the fact that them entering the handheld market is driving it forward. i love portable systems, and it's sad for me to look back on great systems like the lynx and nomad and see that it took nintendo so long to catch up, much less surpass those systems.

Good point see colon. The only way I can see UMDs being successful is

1. If the price goes down below $12
2. They make DVD players with a UMD attached drive some kind of way
3. They make UMD only players
4. If they make UMD Writers.

I think 1 and 4 are the most realistic thing for me to look at.
________
How to roll blunts

Back