The Racing Games Comparison Thread (GT5 & FM3) *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH, it seems like you're more into arcade style racers then. It may be boring to some, but for most sim racer fans, it's not boring at all.

I do like arcade style racers, but I have Grid for that which I love. I look to Forza and GT for the sim style, they complement Grid for me rather than replace it. So I do like both styles.

Right! :LOL:

It was almost impossible to find direct feed ingame play media of GT4 that was not offscreen replay or promo or both. Also same with GT5p (non promo highres + replay). Actually only direct feed ingame play captures I've seen of GT5p is at Gamersyde where they captured it themselves.

That again depends on your perspective. For instance before GT4 was released, there was GT4 Prologue in Japan, and then the EU version, and you also had the GT4 BMW 1-series Nurburgring demo disc. All of these had graphics and physics just about exactly like we would get them in the final game (the physics were tweaked a little more than the graphics). Based on that, we could judge the other media that was released, and if I remember falsely that many of those were honest framebuffer grabs (even just stuff on IGN), then I apologise for my lousy memory - it's been a while. ;)

I was 100% in the scene then - we had hacked GT4 Prologue and demo discs exposing other tracks, some unfinished

Here's some in-game shots of GT5, there definitely is self shadowing, (doesn't seem to soft shadows though)

http://www.joystiq.com/photos/gran-turismo-5-ps3/2248852/full

The reflections are pretty good, the lighting a ground textures seem to be very much like prologue so it's definitely running the same engine.

http://www.joystiq.com/photos/gran-turismo-5-ps3/2248854/full

The car's got a very nice figure, does polyphony have any bigger shots of these pics?

Wow, those are some incredibly low resolution shadow maps. I got the impression from the GT5 video in the GT5 thread that they were better than that. But this paints it in a far different light.

Ground texture is quite low resolution also.

Perhaps these will be polished up before release.

Regards,
SB

For the complaint of only photomode for FM3, here a relative good quality video of offscreen gameplay.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9ljhq_essai-de-forza-motorsport-3_videogames

wow, that's a very nice mix tape beat, unfortunatly i couldn't grab any shots, but clearly at 4:00 you can see the models are the same per portion as the photo mode shots, if there is any scaling involved it must be internally or in places where you're not looking at.

Wow, those are some incredibly low resolution shadow maps. I got the impression from the GT5 video in the GT5 thread that they were better than that. But this paints it in a far different light.

Regards,
SB

It depends on the conditions GT5 runs at, HDR lighting, depth of field, motion blur, all of that comes together and covers up blemishes to make the final experience enjoyable (at 60 fps), the developers are the ones who get the joy to experience that. (and they probably just haven't noticed anything)

If there is any significant differences from GT5p polyphony will see it, so if anything is to be corrected i'm 100 percent sure we'll see the changes very soon, it could also be just the area that's making it look different. :smile:

Regards,
SB

Actually if gameplay looks like this I ll be orgasmic

It won't. For one thing, you'll never see a car from this angle filling the screen like this. For another, the tracks mostly won't have this amount of detail. The reflections / lighting won't be as good either - a combination of lower resolution reflections and more faking in the lighting. But it will still loook very good, at least I just watched the 60fps gamescom off-screen videos on gamersyde again, and the cars look great. Of note is that because of the many effects in this screen, in GT5 Prologue there was a lot of aliasing still. They probably had to work hard to get that final bit of AA in there in combination with the DoF effects and such.

Kinda late to the thread but:

Now by comparison, it's much harder to find pictures of a white one, but I did find some and they seem to point to a matte white one. The lack of reflections on the Forza 3 photo-mode shot certainly seems to suggest that it's the white matte version, which complicate comparisons even more.
The Forza shot DOES have reflections :???:

Is it website compression that's causing the AA issues in those pics?

Confirmed downscale from the original 1920x1080 no AA frame grabs linked in the other thread; it's no different from GT5P for 1080p mode & showcase room. It's just some simple scaling filter to 1024x576 that joystiq used.

Who knows... the memory footprint for 1080p 2xAA would have been a few megs bigger than 720p 4xAA. Shading should be per-pixel... Maybe they switch to an FP16 buffer, in which MSAA doesn't work.

:???:

Would memory constraints still be that stringent on PS3 even in the showcase room? Isn't it just showing a single car at a time in a very limited location?

Regards,
SB

That's what I mean, I have a difficult time believing that it's memory.*

*(despite that fine road texture. ;))

May be cars have more polygons than in-game?

you should know by now that it is forbidden to criticize forza3 photomode...

ontopic:
I read that because of the 'true' hdr rendering combined with full 1920*1080 resolution, AA can not fit within the framebuffer.
I don't know how to calculate it, or how many bit per pixel it is pushing but that was what i came up with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back