The Official Metal Gear Online thread

Is Mosin-Nagant the best weapon for Snake ? I saw a few people using it but I stucked to the more common assault rifles.

I hope Kojima introduced more and more personality to the game. This is exactly what I imagined for multiplayer enhancements to FPSes in general. e.g., Player controlled bosses, organic group gameplay instead of rigid CTF, deathmatches, ... (You can fake death like in Haze, you can rob them of their weapons, choke them in MGO), some over-the-top capabilities (e.g., Fancy evasive moves instead of just moving sideways). How about we have those 4 beauties and the beasts in MGO too ?

My major concern is the high learning curve. It's a big problem. The slow pace will also put off a lot of twitchy FPS players.

It's still not perfect, but I am glad they take a stab in these areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Mosin-Nagant the best weapon for Snake ? I saw a few people using it but I stucked to the more common assault rifles.

I hope Kojima introduced more and more personality to the game. This is exactly what I imagined for multiplayer enhancements to FPSes in general. e.g., Player controlled bosses, organic group gameplay instead of rigid CTF, deathmatches, ... (You can fake death like in Haze, you can rob them of their weapons, choke them in MGO), some over-the-top capabilities (e.g., Fancy evasive moves instead of just moving sideways). How about we have those 4 beauties and the beasts in MGO too ?

My major concern is the high learning curve. It's a big problem. The slow pace will also put off a lot of twitchy FPS players.

It's still not perfect, but I am glad they take a stab in these areas.

DOn't kill people as Snake you muppet! You must only knock them out and then collect their dog tags....otherwise you'll lose lose lose.

The Solid Eye is in your items window....try to keep it on at all times...in "normal" view - since you'll have a sort of movement sensor in your map, instead of the normal map - very useful. Then when people get close, change it to night vision. To do this you hold down R2 with the Eye selected, and then you press either square, triangle, or circle to select the relevant setting.

[Muppet Show music playing in the background]

Must they be alive when Snake collect their tags ?
I thought the objective is to collect 3, dead or alive, and that's it ?

[Muppet Show music playing in the background]

Must they be alive when Snake collect their tags ?
I thought the objective is to collect 3, dead or alive, and that's it ?

You can't collect them if they're dead. They have to be alive, otherwise they don't give them up. You're free to kill them after you've collected them.

Watch this amazing video - this is how you do it. And note at the begining Snake injects the guy with nanomachines, so he can tap into their SOP system (he can see where all the characters are on that team. http://www.g4tv.com/trailers/videos/21533/Metal_Gear_Online_Solid_Snake.html

Can I embed this video, everyone should see it!

All said and done, this isn't for me. Done with it.

Aw...that's sad. Takes a while to get in to, and I was really bad, but playing Snekaing Mission just turned it around for me....as well as playing in a team of people who know what they're doing. I constantly say "stick together!" to make sure we all stay in a group... you're missing out :(

Yes, best video especially the last 10 seconds, even if you don't like the game. ;-)

Seriously, how do you use the SOP system (i.e., How do you toggle your view to those of "infected" PMC soldiers ?). Is there an online manual somewhere ? The concept is pretty interesting. I didn't even know it exists !

The Snake player in your video is very experienced. I think Kojima Studio should do a short documentary on Discovery, Learning Channel, etc. on modern weaponry. I was told MGS4 has a comprehensive and realistic gun catalog (for customization). A short promo based on the GTTV concept should be interesting.

All said and done, this isn't for me. Done with it.

Done with what ? I have barely started to explore the game :)

Personally, this is more interesting than GTA4 gameplay.

Yes, best video especially the last 10 seconds, even if you don't like the game. ;-)

Seriously, how do you use the SOP system (i.e., How do you toggle your view to those of "infected" PMC soldiers ?). Is there an online manual somewhere ? The concept is pretty interesting. I didn't even know it exists !

The Snake player in your video is very experienced. I think Kojima Studio should do a short documentary on Discovery, Learning Channel, etc. on modern weaponry. I was told MGS4 has a comprehensive and realistic gun catalog (for customization). A short promo based on the GTTV concept should be interesting.

Done with what ? I have barely started to explore the game :)

Personally, this is more interesting than GTA4 gameplay.

How do you use SOP? As a soldier you salute your teammates so you all synch together. As Snake you must inject them with the nanomachines (in your items). There's no toggling it on or off...once you've done the relevant actions, it's done.

How do you use SOP? As a soldier you salute your teammates so you all synch together.

Ah ! Now I see what the salute is for. I thought it was for photo ops :LOL: There is also a (more informal) salute when you're squating. Will that suffice too ?

There's no toggling it on or off...once you've done the relevant actions, it's done.

What happened to your original vision ? Do you see other soldiers' views via a PIP or split screen or something else ?

Ah ! Now I see what the salute is for. I thought it was for photo ops :LOL: There is also a (more informal) salute when you're squating. Will that suffice too ?

What happened to your original vision ? Do you see other soldiers' views via a PIP or split screen or something else ?

Just triangle around team mates. What do you mean "original vision". Sop only makes enemies have the glowing red or blue on them. It isn't night vision...

ps. the wavy line around Snake, not only shows what your Octocamo will copy, it shows where enemies are coming from in the form of waves.

Ok, I misunderstood you. I understand now: You can see where his buddies are on the map/radar. And the wavy circle shows whether there are nearby enemies (That's something separate though).

For a while, I thought you could see through the infected soldiers' eyes on the battlefield. :LOL:
That would take some serious VooDoo to implement.

Ok, I misunderstood you. I understand now: You can see where his buddies are on the map/radar. And the wavy circle shows whether there are nearby enemies (That's something separate though).

For a while, I thought you could see through the infected soldiers' eyes on the battlefield. :LOL:
That would take some serious VooDoo to implement.

lol...let alone being really unhelpful. It would only help if you knew exactly what every part of the map looked like, so you could tell where they were.

Well... it can be an abstraction of his view. The current "buddy map" is one simple example. The Mk II view and "playing as another character" are all close approximation of the same concept. In the true form, it would be multiple players sharing their perception (kinda like Rin' Ne Gan in Naruto -- The greatest form of Eye Ninjutsu ;-) ).

Aiight, I'll need to practise on the Training server some more for Snake's moves. Won't be staying up tonight to play Resistance. I hope I can catch you another time like yesterday.

You know what would have made multiplayer awesome? Throwing some AI controlled Gekkos in the battlefield:cool:

How does Snake appear to other players when camo'd. Is the Sanke player dependent on the camouflage just being hard to see, or is the Snake character further hidden?

He is further hidden. He becomes completely invisible. I still havent figured out when he is invisible and when not.

I was spoted once while I was being camouflaged and hiding under a container at the same time and made me wonder how on earth was I spotted. Probably he saw my breath.

Once I found someone as Snake and chased him. He got out of my vision. I became suspicious and checked the walls. I noticed somewhere some white "spray" looking thing. I suspected that it was him. So I shot at it and it was him completely invisible but his cover was lost once shot. It was his breath

It is unstable. Sometimes while panning the camera here and there or when I was standing in some areas the framerate reached 60fps :)
Most of the time it was 30 though

Oh...I meant MGS4 is 30fps - as confirmed by TTP on Neogaf. But yes, they've really maxed out that level - because it both looks better and runs better. I'm presuming that's the only level taken out of the main game in this beta. I doubt we'd be going back to Grozny Grad....but maybe.

He is further hidden. He becomes completely invisible. I still havent figured out when he is invisible and when not.

I was spoted once while I was being camouflaged and hiding under a container at the same time and made me wonder how on earth was I spotted. Probably he saw my breath.

Once I found someone as Snake and chased him. He got out of my vision. I became suspicious and checked the walls. I noticed somewhere some white "spray" looking thing. I suspected that it was him. So I shot at it and it was him completely invisible but his cover was lost once shot. It was his breath

There's a percentage scale in the right corner. 99% (lying down, or held up against a wall - and in shadow) is basically completely invisible. Unless someones found night vision goggles (they are around) then they can only see Snake's head lit up.

In night vision, you're footprints leave behind marks (which fade) since it's heat based :p

Back