The Official Metal Gear Online thread

I'm enjoying it the more I'm playing it. I've been experimenting with a few of the game play settings to see how it effects my performance. There are a few I suggest everyone expirment with (in a controlled enviroment, first).

-Direction after view change

-Camera speed.

-FPS Memory

First person view memory is probably having the most dramatic effect (in practice, at least). Even though the view is constricted (especially compared to your standard FPS), it lets me aim quicker while in the heat of battle. It does, however, make it more difficult to scout with your weapon at the read, as your view of the battle field is greatly reduced as compared to the 3rd person view.

Something else some of you may want to experiment with in the training area is how to handle being thrown down. The simplest way to duplicate it is to blow yourself back with the M4 and the M302 attachment.

On several occasions I've been thrown down, and hit the x-button (instinctively, for some reason) to try and get back up. Bad more, of course, as this keeps me crouched or in a prone position, unexpected. It occurred to me, however, that this may be the best position to be in, as when on my back, I can bring my gun to the ready and fire, w/o getting up.

That is what I've been testing. Staying down (holding X) while holding R1. Seems really effective w/ FPS memory set to on, as its easy to tell when he's ready to fire.

I've also found the auto-lock to be worthless while in real battle.

I mean you pullup walls and it gives you a traingle indicator, you hit it and the guy salutes the wall?

On top of Kyleb's reply, just want to comment that salute is for photo taking
263jas4.jpg

... and spruce up your posture while being catapulted ;-)
There are other in-game hand gestures too.

I was told you can capture and upload in-game photos to the community. Also design insignia for your clan.

Finally got the takedown thing figured out. Once you are crouched with your enemy, press the L stick in any direction and then release and repress R1.

I wish the framerate was a little better but everything else about the game is great.

Everybody know that a new map is up in Europe? ....guess what...it includes Snake! I think it's 11 guys against Snake...and if there's more than 12 people then one person can be MK2 and pick up dog tags. Haven't tried it yet! :p

2447594427_4f18c22d24_b.jpg

2448461752_423a133c55_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only been a few days since the beta code fiasco. I am amazed at the skill level of the beta players. The controls are deep and not easy to master but Jeebus, some people are borned with a controller in their hands.

6:20 is a must see. I have never seen something like it before.

Snake is on MGO now too. Will try to find a good YouTube video to show his Octocam trick.

Holy shit! Being Snake is incredible with his Octo camo! You have to go around stunning people, holding guys up - while the two teams carry out their battle! It's such an amazing idea - two teams warring it out and Snake sneaking through trying to get 3 dog tags without dying. I won twice! And being the MK2...who also has octocamo is awesome...you go around stunning all the enemies, so much fun.

And the new map - which is a section of the map with seen in all the live demos of MGS4 - so good! best map yet. Really smooth, looks great, and lots of places to hide. MGO has blown me away with the Sneaking Mission.

iz0rip.jpg

I'm the one saluting on the box!

It's only been a few days since the beta code fiasco. I am amazed at the skill level of the beta players. The controls are deep and not easy to master but Jeebus, some people are borned with a controller in their hands.

6:20 is a must see. I have never seen something like it before.

Snake is on MGO now too. Will try to find a good YouTube video to show his Octocam trick.

What a sh*te video, with all the slowing down. Not impressed in the slightest.

:LOL: This clearly shows the skill level difference between you guys and me.

Here's Snake in MGO (with Octocamo):

The slow-mo is just the way the video was edited, it isn't part of the game.

I know! I wasn't impressed by the editing and skills of the player. I'm very impressed by MGO, at least the Sneaking mission. And actually playing with GAF - we work as a team, sneak around, have a sniper posted - it's great. I've never been so engrossed in a multiplayer game.

One virgin MGO player going online ! The online games are set up such that the same group of players move together from round to round.

The controls and pace are not as bad as I thought. The tutorial did its job well. I turn out to be an okay noob :) My average ranking was 3 out of 8.

Playing as Snake is tough but fun. It's really neat to see Octocamo in action (from a PMC soldier's point of view). The second coolest thing is the level itself. The Snake level is very realistic and full of nooks and crannies to hide.

Still don't know how to do some of the acrobatic flips.

Oh ! Man ! That's SNAKE ! And so it begins...........

I am so happy ! :D

The movement of his hair and bandana is soo cool! Really impressive and smooth (I know he's had a moving bandana since MGS2...but still, with his hair blowing in the wind, it's impressive)

Edit: MGO is so great with people who play like a stealth team! Get a person in front with the sheild...and everyone crawling behind. It's bliss!

Edit 2: They need to fix this friends system! The other person has to be online in MGO for you to find them in a friends search. On release they better have it linked to your PSN friends list!

:LOL: This clearly shows the skill level difference between you guys and me.

Here's Snake in MGO (with Octocamo):
We need pics and vids of the new map - easily the most impressive and straight out of MGS4. Plus, I'm sure it hits 60fps at some points...

The movement of his hair and bandana is soo cool! Really impressive and smooth (I know he's had a moving bandana since MGS2...but still, with his hair blowing in the wind, it's impressive)

Edit: MGO is so great with people who play like a stealth team! Get a person in front with the sheild...and everyone crawling behind. It's bliss!

Edit 2: They need to fix this friends system! The other person has to be online in MGO for you to find them in a friends search. On release they better have it linked to your PSN friends list!

Really ! That would be so funny to see !:D man, we need a video of that, that would be like that MGO trailer(theone with MGS 3) where everyone would line up and stuff.Its unbelievable how such things are happening actually !:D

and did you say His hair blows with the wind !!!!! Wow! that would be cool !

Really ! That would be so funny to see !:D man, we need a video of that, that would be like that MGO trailer(theone with MGS 3) where everyone would line up and stuff.Its unbelievable how such things are happening actually !:D

and did you say His hair blows with the wind !!!!! Wow! that would be cool !

Yeah...we always do it now. Work as a team. Place a couple up as snipers, rest follow each other, checking corners. If it's capturing a base we have a person facing each direction to check for enemies - and if they spot someone in the distance they say "Enemy spotted (if they don't have a mic" ...and the sniper blasts him :D

Yeh, you can see his hair moving in that vid, but you can see it much easier when you're playing.

Yes, in MGO, we have more time to coordinate loosely even without headset.

Here's the only clear Midtown video I can find on youtube:

Snake is not himself in this video :)no:), but you can see some indoor and outdoor Midtown environments. Towards the end, a camouflaged Mk II (Snake's mobile robot companion) saw some action too.

deepbrown, what's the key for switching to Snake Eye Cam ? When I played as Snake, I tried a few keys but couldn't bring it up.

Super fun :D

The new map seems to reach 60fps in some sections. If the solo game runs 60fps then this is going to look awesome

Back