The Official Metal Gear Online thread

I can't recall exactly but yes, there is a training level (3 actually). Select "Training" from one of the menus. I think it's the one where you launch into an actual game session.

Played this for about an hour before I came into work this morning.

It's not a pretty game and certainly doesn't run at 60fps. The guns have no feel to them, like in BF:BC beta. The whole 2 options to shoots is confusing but it's something you can get used to over time. A sprint button is certainly needed. Also, it's trying to be a tactical shooter without a cover system? I mean you pullup walls and it gives you a traingle indicator, you hit it and the guy salutes the wall?

The shooting and being shot at needs to do a better job of informing the player. The melee setup is annoying! Give me shooting from the hip when I pull the trigger not some some stun with the gun. Use another button for that please.

Overall, it's not nearly as polished as the GRAW games or RB:6 vegas as a tactical shooter and certainly can't touch CoD4 for a faster paced gameplay. It seems hard trying to be both but getting lost in there somewhere.

I'll give it another couple of hours but so far there's nothing that wants me to go home and play it right now like with CoD4 beta.

I mean you pullup walls and it gives you a traingle indicator, you hit it and the guy salutes the wall?
The indicator says to press triangle while holding the movement stick in the direction of the wall . ;)

Anyway, it certianly isn't RB6 or CoD, but I hardly think it is trying to be. It is Metal Gear, and plays it. I've just played a few games sofar, but as it stands the only complaints is that the framerate gets a bit rough in the bigger map on occasion, and TDM rounds seem rather short. Other than that I'm pleased and looking forward to playing though the training to get accustomed to the equpment options and such after I get some lunch.

Logged in fine for me. Wish there was single player available in this beta, thats all I care for anyways. Playing shooters with a gamepad is crap for me, but Im trying. At least I can invert the controls.

Game seems pretty deep so far, lots of options to change. Gameplay also looks like it will be very good. I dont play any of the GRAW or RB games, so I cant compare. But as said above, its not trying to be the same thing. MGS was out well before either of those. Its also not trying to be COD4, which is actually more my style of game. I really wanted to play the single player version of this game.

Played this for about an hour before I came into work this morning.

It's not a pretty game and certainly doesn't run at 60fps. The guns have no feel to them, like in BF:BC beta. The whole 2 options to shoots is confusing but it's something you can get used to over time. A sprint button is certainly needed. Also, it's trying to be a tactical shooter without a cover system? I mean you pullup walls and it gives you a traingle indicator, you hit it and the guy salutes the wall?

The shooting and being shot at needs to do a better job of informing the player. The melee setup is annoying! Give me shooting from the hip when I pull the trigger not some some stun with the gun. Use another button for that please.

Overall, it's not nearly as polished as the GRAW games or RB:6 vegas as a tactical shooter and certainly can't touch CoD4 for a faster paced gameplay. It seems hard trying to be both but getting lost in there somewhere.

I'll give it another couple of hours but so far there's nothing that wants me to go home and play it right now like with CoD4 beta.

The controls are just as deep as Metal Gear....and act in the same way...ie. taking cover is usually just pushing the analogue stick against the wall, here they've added presing triangle. Doesn't need a sprint button, because it's not meant to be fast...but you can upgrade your player to fast movement...at the moment you'll only be able to get Level 1, but I expect the levels will go quite a bit higher than that.

Taking cover is simple. Being stealthy is pretty easy...crawling around, hiding in boxes etc.

Remember to use the SOP system - synch up with your teammates with triangle.

It might not be "pretty", but it's clean, sharp, good character models etc. Not a visual mess like say...Army of Two.

Took me a while to get the hang...spent a lot of time in training. Definately needs to be more teamwork...some proper movemnt in teams, covering each other. Still don't know how to look through the pages of the magazine... :(

Edit: Skills go up to Level 22...we're basically starting play as shit characters :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't recall exactly but yes, there is a training level (3 actually). Select "Training" from one of the menus. I think it's the one where you launch into an actual game session.

Thanks. Checked it out again and trained a bit :D

I recommend some training for those that try it for the first time. It really helps. I had the control issues RobertR1 had but after training I ve had some almost flawless multiplayer experience.

The only think I am not good at are headshots. One guy managed 12 headshots and some more kills in one team match. Amazing. I managed 12 normal kills only :LOL:.

Very nice gameplay. In one stage I saw someone using the man cannon btw. I didnt manage to get on it, but I saw someone flying to the sky which was funny as hell :LOL:

I cant wait to get my hands on the full experience :)

Wonderful game. Ive sent a mail to the makers that I recommend that the camera should always follow the back of the player when holding it to make auto targeting easier. Actually I should have told them that the player should be able to turn around while holding L1 and R3. Damn!!

Does the mic symbol on the next to your own name flash when you talk? I hear other people when their mic flashes, but mine never never does and no one responds to me. I tryed the voice activation setting to both extremes and got nothing. Granted, no says much of anything, but I'd like to at least try to try to get some comunication going.

And yeah, training should be manditory. There are a lot of controls to get accustomed to.

Ah, hold select to disable/enable voice transmision.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't get the hang of this auto-lock. I've tried to play without it, but it seems that's only useful when other people can't see you - they just lock-on straight away and get you. I think I need to change the settings around a bit, so that when you go out of lock-on the camera stays poitning in the direction you were locked on, instead of defaulting back to the centre.

Off the top of my head, I think the default MGO CQC sucks and speed needs some tweaking. Control is hard. Still don't know how to perform some moves yet (e.g., crawl on the ground face up, slit throat).

Is the CQC skill worth it ? What skills are the best ?

Off the top of my head, I think the default MGO CQC sucks and speed needs some tweaking. Control is hard. Still don't know how to perform some moves yet (e.g., crawl on the ground face up, slit throat).

Is the CQC skill worth it ? What skills are the best ?

Not sure how you slip throats up. I tried to grab someone from the back and drug him but couldnt. I suspect it should work just like MGS3.

If you want to be face up first you fall on the ground face down and tap triangle fast once if I remember correctly. He will have his face up and I think you can crawl like that too.

As for speed, try to get to the gameplay options and set every camera speed movement to 10.

I can't get the hang of this auto-lock. I've tried to play without it, but it seems that's only useful when other people can't see you - they just lock-on straight away and get you. I think I need to change the settings around a bit, so that when you go out of lock-on the camera stays poitning in the direction you were locked on, instead of defaulting back to the centre.

Use R3 or tap it twice to set it to default behind the character

Is it possible to do that CQC trick at level1 where you surprise your enemy from the back, crouch with him and then turn enemy face down on the ground and let him twitch there until he passes out? That level of CQC was shown at some MGS4 realtime video demonstration at the very beginning. It was übercool but I dont know how to do it in MGO yet. :)

Grabbing requires the CQC mastery skill, and you can crouch while holding an enemy. I've never seen anything about turning the enemy face down while he twitches though.

Ah yeah, I forgot about that. I wouldn't be supprised if that opens up when you level up CQC, but I've never seen it online.

I know that...but I'm talking about in the heat of the battle.

You can do it if you play enough ;)

Not always though depending on the mess of the battle. I sometimes got caught in the middle of multiple enemies. No way I could auto aim on the "right" enemy. I was shot to death

Yeah, I know I can crouch while doing CQC, but turning enemy face down on the ground would be cooler.
Someone did it to me in game a bit ago, and then later I was leting a friend play and he did it while mashing buttons. I'm still at QCQ lvl 1 so it wasn't an upgrade, but I still haven't figured out how to do it.

Back