The Official Metal Gear Online thread

Tried re-installing the game, the updates went pretty fast this time around, I played for 20 minutes and thought I was crash free this time and then BAM, crash to XMB again :(

Is it possible that my HDD has bad sectors and is doing this? Other games don't crash so I don't think it's my PS3 GPU/CPU overheating or something.

What was that game all about...I left lol. I knifed them three times, then tried to sneak em (you were good for discovering where they were :p but he put a magazine on the stairs! :(

You can spectate.

At least reply to your PSN messages- because if it says someone isn't playing anything, isn't folding and is online - I sit there waiting for a reply. I find it frustrating patsu. Just say "no thanks, I'm going to play Resistance". :p

LOL ! I'm sorry :(
It must be my slide show playback then. Sometimes, I left it running while I work. You must have waited for a long time. I was so tired that I didn't even check the time of receipt.

At least I sent you a message earlier today :)
Gotta run !

Tried re-installing the game, the updates went pretty fast this time around, I played for 20 minutes and thought I was crash free this time and then BAM, crash to XMB again :(

Is it possible that my HDD has bad sectors and is doing this? Other games don't crash so I don't think it's my PS3 GPU/CPU overheating or something.

BTW I'm DeepOcelot...just in case you wondered what i was talking about with "that game" :p

BTW I'm DeepOcelot...just in case you wondered what i was talking about with "that game" :p

Ohhh, that was you? lol

Well that was a Portuguese server (I'm Portuguese as well), some guy got mad that I killed him twice when he was camping with the CQC+Knife combo, and started to call me a cheater. Then he just proceeded to camp even more just so he could kill me. Rocket Launcher kinda crushed that for him :LOL:

I left soon after as well.

I found out that the crashes are only happening when I host, which is strange cause I used to host all day long before.

Ohhh, that was you? lol

Well that was a Portuguese server (I'm Portuguese as well), some guy got mad that I killed him twice when he was camping with the CQC+Knife combo, and started to call me a cheater. Then he just proceeded to camp even more just so he could kill me. Rocket Launcher kinda crushed that for him :LOL:

I left soon after as well.

I found out that the crashes are only happening when I host, which is strange cause I used to host all day long before.

Well I knew he was camping in there, because I knifed him twice too...and I'd watch you go up the ladder to find him. Annoyingly, when I followed up the stairs he'd put a magazine there, but I was hoping you would have killed him. No luck.

I should try to host a server too. Will let you know if I encounter crashes too.

Will I be able to spectate if I host ? I can't check now because my PS3 is in the office and I'm at home.

I don't know, but all you have to do is go to "team change" and select "spectate".

Thanks ! I tried to look for that option yesterday but couldn't find it.

Option is pretty good - you scroll through players with R2.

Had a pucker couple of matches last night with Neogaf folks - only three of us, but when we worked together, coverig each other - it was just boom boom boom - finished most at about 26 to 7. We were playing Sneaking missions, and so the top player becomes Snake, which was funny, because the remaining two had to work together in a pair, and often we'd all be taken out by Snake. One round lasted 2 minutes...

Oh and played a round with somebody who was really good as Snake, and when it was my turn to be Snake, he was Otocon. And he always stayed near me, and we were communicating with Snake and Otocon's cool phrases...it worked a charm! Until i climbed some stairs and he couldn't follow me :(

Some things that I think should be improved - vocal sound effects. The reactions to shots sound like a dog barking, only because it's the same short scream repeated for every hit - it sounds even worse for Snake - and watching the MGS4 gameplay video, I still find it slightly annoying. Death screams are also quite annoying in MGO.

I think there should be a quicker way to select weapons than having to hold down R2, or tapping R2 (scrolls through 3). Because often I want to quickly change to my knife to shock someone up close, but it's never in my three weapons....and holding R2 takes too long. Instead they should move four of the weapons to the D-pad like most games, at least as a second option. This should work, since you have to press Select first to use the d-pad for speech anyway.

I think there should be a quicker way to select weapons than having to hold down R2, or tapping R2 (scrolls through 3). Because often I want to quickly change to my knife to shock someone up close, but it's never in my three weapons....and holding R2 takes too long. Instead they should move four of the weapons to the D-pad like most games, at least as a second option. This should work, since you have to press Select first to use the d-pad for speech anyway.

Go into the options. Change the weapon select to last used. You can quickly switch between any two weapons. You'll only have to go into the weapons menu to change to a weapon other than the 2 you're switching between. And when you do that, it will switch between that newly selected weapon, and the one equiped before you switched. By default it will switch you from Primary <>Secondary.

Go into the options. Change the weapon select to last used. You can quickly switch between any two weapons. You'll only have to go into the weapons menu to change to a weapon other than the 2 you're switching between. And when you do that, it will switch between that newly selected weapon, and the one equiped before you switched. By default it will switch you from Primary <>Secondary.

I know that....but I like to switch between my M4, pistol and grenades. When I'm suddenly in close quarters, I'd like to whip out my knife. Not possible.

I have come to conculsion that Assault Rifle >>>> SMG in every situation. Anyone disagree? I began playing with SMG skill and P90 as my primary weapon, but be it close quarter combat or semi/long range combat I always get wasted by AR guys.

There might be another reason for this... I just S.U.C.K! :) But for now I switch to Assault Rifle.

I know that....but I like to switch between my M4, pistol and grenades. When I'm suddenly in close quarters, I'd like to whip out my knife. Not possible.

Oh, I see. Yeah, that is an issue. The weapon and item selection menus are perfectly fine for single player, since everything pauses, but far to cumbersome for live, quick, multiplayer needs.

Oh, I see. Yeah, that is an issue. The weapon and item selection menus are perfectly fine for single player, since everything pauses, but far to cumbersome for live, quick, multiplayer needs.

Yep - my thoughts exactly. Don't think the controls have transitioned enough for online. As i said, it wouldn't be too hard to employ, since you already have to press select to use d-pad for vocal comments. The current d-pad actions without pressing select, seem to be unneeded (or can be moved elsewhere).

And I know they're trying to make you have a clean transition from SP to MP, but I think the original manner can remain, but having the option to use dpad would be great - though would that make it too easy to whip out a knife and stun them - perhaps that's what they are trying to avoid...

though would that make it too easy to whip out a knife and stun them - perhaps that's what they are trying to avoid...

Maybe. Although, considering how easy it is to run around with a Sniper Rifle I'm not so sure. :D So far, I get the best results (highest kills, lowest deaths) with that as my primary.

I feel the same. As in switching weapons can be slow, and the control takes time to learn. I hope they map ^ (triangle) to something else instead of SOP set up (salute).

Bit of a disappointment that when you level up your skills they take more space. Level3 SMG takes 3 slots and it leaves you with a slot for one level 1 skill. Oh, well...

Bit of a disappointment that when you level up your skills they take more space. Level3 SMG takes 3 slots and it leaves you with a slot for one level 1 skill. Oh, well...

It does? I'm on Level 2 for three of mine...and I still have four skills.

It does? I'm on Level 2 for three of mine...and I still have four skills.

Are you sure you have leveled them up? You have to manually raise them to level 2 if you have enough experience points. Go to skill list. select skill (here it reads what level it is), click change, select skill again, when description is shown press right and it changes page showing level2 status.

Now it takes one more slot and you must drop one of your skills.

It depends on the skill. Some take more "costs" than others. For example I could level up 2 of my 4 skills without affecting each other. But once I tried to level up the assault riffle I had to take one out so it would fit

Back