The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Aren‘t elves male? Or LOTR have female elves with big rocks or something?
It was autocorrect :), the elf king is a bit paunchy, not real fat, but not like in the movies or the stereotypical elf lithe thing. I personally think that most actors should be able to play most parts. Just hire whoever does a nice job and it's good enough for me.

I just watched the first episode and part of second of rings of power. I like that I can watch it with my kids. I read nothing about it and skipped all reviews/teasers so was worried they might throw a bunch of raunchy elf sex in or something to try and attract viewers as many shows target gore and nudity. It was tv14 though and seemed to fall in line with what I expected. Interestingly I think that the inclusion of a fattish elf is just as out of character and perhaps more so than the little racial diversity included, but I haven't seen people upset about that yet. I don't seek out such things though so perhaps there are legions upset about it.

I asked my ten year old daughter if she wanted to watch this, but she thought House of the Dragon looked much cooler. I said she'll have to wait five years.....

Watched the first episode of Rings of Power and it looks quite incredible.
It's visually stunning. The first couple of episodes are fairly slow paced but I'm OK with that. Not everybody is coming to the show knowing, or even remembering most, if anything, from the movies so they have some setup and scene setting to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
saw first two episodes and im on board with the dragon show

yet to watch lord of the powerstrip, all in due time

Finished the second episode of rings with two kids this time. They both liked it and wanted more. I think it is good. We will see how it goes after this.

So should someone who's never watched LOTR or read it watch the movies or the series first?

Kind of depends. If you're the kind of person who gets triggered if the movies/TV series aren't wholly and entirely faithful to the lore and books then it's probably best not to.

The first three movies are kind of following the books, though with different pacing, bits missing and bits made up. Tolkien is a wordy-arsed bastard and if the movies followed the books to the letter they would each be about six weeks long. The Hobbit move takes even more liberties.

The TV series I dunno, I think it's "inspired by" or "based in a world similar to" rather than faithful to the lore. From what I've heard (if I understood correctly!) Amazon don't have the rights to the books dealing with the earlier happenings in the world, so they do have to do a lot of extrapolation and interpolation. But I might be wrong in that.

Personally I really liked the original trilogy. The Hobbits trilogy is OK for a drunk Christmas Day. The TV series we'll see. I'll judge it on whether it is entertaining and internally consistent within itself, rather than worrying about how fast Tolkien might be spinning in his grave.

I think they have the LOTR but not Silmarillion.
It seems that this is placed in between, and they are extrapolating the story from notes and small mentions, up to a point.
If someone is a purist, or doesn't understand the differences in execution between mediums, then I guess it's not for him.

Don't they have the rights to the second age while LOTR is the third age? From what I understand the second age is only briefly discussed in the books with only a general description of what happened. In that sense I think the story was always going to be mostly made up as there just isn't an awful lot to go on.

In other news episode 3 of House of the Dragon was pretty damn good.

I've not seen Rings of Power yet, but it will be set in the Second Age because, well, that's when the Rings of Power were created. A relatively affluent and peaceful time for Middle Earth (in comparison to the Third Age) for a while and there should be plenty of background material on which to base the storyline. Tolkien left huge quantities of notes and so forth which is why his son has been able to publish so many flipping books about Middle Earth! My guess it will be about the forging of the rings so I expect to see lots of Elves, a bit of intrigue and Sauron being a bit naughty. It will finish in a very large battle where most of the good guys die.

I also predict some pretty witless dialogue at times if the LoTR and Hobbit movies are any indication! Oh, I suspect there will probably be some Elves who look old, for some unexplained reason...

Rick and Morty season 6 episode 1 was last night, picked up right where season 5 ended and I was quite pleased and enjoyed it. :)
I had completely forgotten what happened at the end of season 5 so re-watched that one and it was the one I had forgotten with the weird anime start with Rick as Two Crows! So good! :yes:

Good to hear that people are generally talking +ve about the rings of power, I had heard that many reviews had been poor, but I had not looked at them.

It's satire isn't it?

Or something like a Saturday Night Live sketch?

Still can picture Seth McFarlane with a smirk in his face.

I've finally started watching Strange New Worlds (4 episodes in) and what confuses me the most is how this can be so massively better than the other Trek series that are out at the moment. Seriously, this is brilliant! Genuine Trek of a very high quality and with only 4 episodes in hand. This wipes the floor in every way with Discovery, Picard and even Lower Decks which I find reasonably enjoyable. I hope it keeps this quality moving forwards but so far the characters seem very likeable and it falls into none of the traps and shoddy writing that both Disco and Picard suffer from.

Terminal List was a lot better than I anticipated. I actually thought Chris Pratt portrayed his role rather well, showed some good range and sold me on his character. Good supporting cast as well. Worth a watch!

I agree wholly.
I don't quite get some published reviews panning it as a snoozefest and complaining that Pratt was completely miscast. If they can't get over thinking they were watching Starlord or Bert Macklin FBI, the problem must have been mostly in the viewer's head.

The story isn't the most complicated one, but with professional execution (in more than one sense of the term...)

Back