The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

I thought the first episode of HotD was good and achieved what it needed to: brief exposition on the history, establish the current political standing in the governing power of the realm, introduce the initial main characters of the immediate forthcoming story, and provide the foundation of the conflict to come. It provided the necessary fair share of intrigue, power, violence and sex without going overboard on any of those necessary components.

Looking forward to the season.

better understand that violence and the hack and slash fest were not the only reasons GoT got such a huge audience.

Yep, they have to remember that gratuitous nudity had an important role to play!

I'll no doubt give it a watch at some point, though I thought the last season of GoT was especially rushed.

Yep, they have to remember that gratuitous nudity had an important role to play!

I'll no doubt give it a watch at some point, though I thought the last season of GoT was especially rushed.

The gratuitous nudity put me off of GOT.

Despite I usually have no problem with nudity. Like on westworld.

I dunno, I find it hard to take Dr. Who seriously as a dangerous warrior guy :unsure:
Arguably the most dangerous guy in space-time yes but as a sword-wielding warrior-prince not so much :nope:

Is it just me or it looks more like someone else in a Matt Smith rubber mask than actually Matt Smith?
Similarly my mind was playing tricks on me whenever the king was on-screen: Why has the Hound got white hair? No, thats... King Littlefinger? :runaway:

My colleague was deeply upset by it & only watched ~half of it:
-What bit?
You know, the thing that happens in the middle.
-The guy getting his face smashed in by a shield with bits falling off as they dragged the body away?
No the other thing, you know the thing, how am I supposed to eat with that happening.
-Uh huh :rolleyes:

Kinda like the bit where everyone was upset about what happens to Sansa in season 5 when multiple worse things happened as early as season 1 episode 1, we're going to be seeing a lot of oddly selective moral outrage 🕵️‍♂️

I dunno, I find it hard to take Dr. Who seriously as a dangerous warrior guy :unsure:
Even though I know he was arguably the worst Doctor, I couldn't see him as anything other than the goofy sidekick friend Milo from Morbius.

First episode of house of the dragon has potential. Not sure why they spend so much time on the tournament though, the episode could have done without it. Especially the killing, I don't think the tournaments were generally supposed to be about grotesque to the death fights.

Too bad about the wokish casting though. Nothing against the guy playing Corlys but it just doesn't make sense to have one black guy when everybody else is white. And if you do want to be diverse (as far as having one not white character can be considered diverse...), why never Asians?

The woman Damon was having sex was looked Asian. She has a name but cant remember. Maybe she’s more to Damon than a whore.

They said the tournament was to bring the action and violence of GoT but also, there haven’t been wars so the warriors haven’t proved themselves in battle and have some pent-up aggression.

Anyone watched the rings of power yet?

I enjoyed the first episode. Yes there is the forced diversity but other than that it looks great and I really enjoyed the fact that there wasn't a lot of action and that the pacing was quite slow. I think slow pacing works well for a show like this. It was also what made game of thrones work until they suddenly all started teleporting over the map.

That said, I haven't read the books so I have no idea if it's in the spirit of the books or not. Though it doesn't feel too far off from the movies.

For what reason?
Mebbe it's got the racists pissed off?

They are trying to "woke-ify" Amazon's new series, "The Lord of the Rings: "The Rings of Power."
Morse is deputy managing editor of RedState, a conservative news site. He says "The Rings of Power" producers have cast non-White actors in a story based on European culture and who look wildly different from how Tolkien originally described them. He says it's an attempt to embed "social justice politics" into Tolkien's world.
"If you focus on introducing modern political sentiments, such as the leftist obsession with identity issues that only go skin deep, then you're no longer focusing on building a good story," says Morse, who wrote an impassioned essay about his misgivings. "You're effectively making propaganda, or art meant to fit a message, not a message to fit the art."

I stopped looking for, or reading user reviews for any show...
The rings of power took me back to the first LOTR movies, and the first two episodes for me at least, felt better than P.Jackson's Hobbit.
I would watch the third episode in an instant if it was available.
This is a really good start.

I started the Orville S3 recently. Bloody brilliant so far. Absolutely more Star Trek then the the recent "Star Trek" series. I feel connected to all the characters way more than whoever the lead character in Discovery is supposed to be and one of the aspects I appreciate the most is that half the season (so far) is literally an exploration of transgender issues which I find completely fascinating vs Discoveries utterly atrocious attempt at the same.

Not seen the LoTR prequel show yet, but I'm encouraged by the comments. I've not paid any attention whatsoever as yet so it will be interesting to see if it matches closely to the 'lore' about that particular era of Middle Earth.

I thought that The Hobbit trilogy was mostly a bag 'o shite, and wasn't overly impressed with the LoTR trilogy itself so hopefully this new show will be OK!

Apparently Amazon had some kind of 72-hour embargo on critics' reviews, even though the first 2 episodes have been available for awhile now.

Did they worry about critics reviews, not just user reviews?

Also Amazon is offering some bonus extras if you watch through an Amazon streaming device instead of other devices.

I just watched the first episode and part of second of rings of power. I like that I can watch it with my kids. I read nothing about it and skipped all reviews/teasers so was worried they might throw a bunch of raunchy elf sex in or something to try and attract viewers as many shows target gore and nudity. It was tv14 though and seemed to fall in line with what I expected. Interestingly I think that the inclusion of a fattish elf is just as out of character and perhaps more so than the little racial diversity included, but I haven't seen people upset about that yet. I don't seek out such things though so perhaps there are legions upset about it.

Last edited:
I just watched the first episode and part of second of rings of power. I like that I can watch it with my kids. I read nothing about it and skipped all reviews/teasers so was worried they might throw a bunch of raunchy elf sex in or something to try and attract viewers as many shows target gore and nudity. It was tv14 though and seemed to fall in line with what I expected. Interestingly I think that the inclusion of a flattish elf is just as out of character and perhaps more so than the little racial diversity included, but I haven't seen people upset about that yet. I don't seek out such things though so perhaps there are legions upset about it.

Aren‘t elves male? Or LOTR have female elves with big rocks or something?

Back