The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

Those actions distil into directional swipes, so it makes no difference. Plus buttons are much lower latency because you don't need to store the input paths for gesture recognition processing.
You think that it wouldn't make a difference if a game like Temple Run & Subway Surfers is played with a normal controller?

You think that it wouldn't make a difference if a game like Temple Run & Subway Surfers is played with a normal controller?

Yeah, it would probably play better on a controller. Press a button to jump and use the dpad or left analog to move left and right. There's nothing in that video that would be inherently difficult to implement on a controller.

That video shows dreadful lag; it'd definitely play better with buttons. And ultimately, whether it'd play better or not is irrelevant if the console-owning audience don't want to play that sort of game.

The gyro would work better. There's a multiplayer Ninja game that is basically a runner where you use the gyro for position on the 'road' with very direct control and you use the touchpad for swiping ninja stars at enemies. Jumping is gesture based, and the only slightly leggy bit of controls, but on the whole it works great, is far superior to any kind of runner on any mobile and beats similar sections in many AAA games handily.

Reactions: onQ
If morpheus can release with good enough quality before oculus final version comes out, yikes. Hopefully they really make it well, not with gimped software / game support

If morpheus can release with good enough quality before oculus final version comes out, yikes. Hopefully they really make it well, not with gimped software / game support

Oculus is this year so I don't think it will matter. The major benfit of oculus is the pc behind it. With both NVidia and amd supporting one card per eye sli/crossfire you can build a very powerful rig for a very cheap price.

2 970s would cost you $700 but 2 290xs could be had as little as $550 when on sale.

Then there is pricing. I'm going to go with both costing $300.

However if a person has neither a gaming pc or ps4 then obviously the total package pricing would favor the ps4.

I suspect a $50 price drop this fall. So ps4 at $350 + the headset and eye for $550 as a bundle. Then the head set on its own for $300 and the eye is $60. So they could sell the bundle at an amazing price !

I have a hard time imagining Morpheus being a threat to Oculus Rift. I'm also with Eastman that whichever is supported best by PC is currently my favorite because rendering power can be thrown at it. Secretly I am hoping Sony will do the classy thing and support Oculus as well as Morpheus on PS4 for stuff like 3D Bluray and other types of media playback (360 degree 3D photos?) and such, and hopefully games too.

I have a hard time imagining Morpheus being a threat to Oculus Rift. I'm also with Eastman that whichever is supported best by PC is currently my favorite because rendering power can be thrown at it. Secretly I am hoping Sony will do the classy thing and support Oculus as well as Morpheus on PS4 for stuff like 3D Bluray and other types of media playback (360 degree 3D photos?) and such, and hopefully games too.
I think oculus wins by default on the pc. The Morpheus is going to be designed around the ps4. Not to mention that while the 2015 headsets might be close to each other in specs the 2016 oculus will be better than the Morpheus and then the 2017 will be better still and so on.

I don't plan on upgrading every year but I would most likely be there for the big jumps and of course I am interested in the hololenses .

I'm also curious on an outside chance of Oculus working on the xbox one. MS says they have no plans for a headset and they have been close to Facebook in the past. So we may see them allow for oculus (after all the one is getting windows 10 so support should be trival) and then they can focus on their hololense

Yeah, it would probably play better on a controller. Press a button to jump and use the dpad or left analog to move left and right. There's nothing in that video that would be inherently difficult to implement on a controller.

That video shows dreadful lag; it'd definitely play better with buttons. And ultimately, whether it'd play better or not is irrelevant if the console-owning audience don't want to play that sort of game.
These comments are funny to me because I'm pretty sure you know that these games would not be as fun with a dpad lol.

Subway Surfer had over 100 million downloads within a year of release with over 25 million people playing it everyday how can you say console-owning audience don't want to play this sort of game? You probably would have said the same thing about Minecraft before it was released on consoles & sold millions.

Edit:
A sequel to the original game was released on January 17, 2013 for iOS,and on January 24 for Android. As of June 2014, Temple Run and its sequel have been downloaded over 1 billion times.

Y'all still feel like your dpad & analog is the standard for gaming?

Last edited:
Subway Surfer had over 100 million downloads within a year of release with over 25 million people playing it everyday how can you say console-owning audience don't want to play this sort of game?
http://flippfly.com/racethesun/

The games exist. They're pretty niche. And what makes it better to play with swiping your finger around that pressing buttons or using the thumbstick?

You probably would have said the same thing about Minecraft before it was released on consoles & sold millions.
No, because Minecraft includes the elements of a 'core game'. Look instead at simpler games like Kinect Wiggles. How much enthusiasm was there for Kinect Wiggle from core gamers? How much excitement was there for Kinect as standard on XB1 and all the mobile-like games that'd enable? Or Wii - how well was Wii received by gamers like me who found it didn't matter how you waved the Wiimote, you could still return the ball in Tennis? Look at how much discussion there is about lag and grumbles about laggy TVs and inputs. Why would a console owner who wants < 100ms latency on inputs in their shooters and platformers prefer a 250 ms lag sliding-input over a super-precise, low latency input? If the motion experience doesn't add value, it's just a gimmick. We saw plenty of that in the early days of sixaxis, input mapped arbitrarily to the motion input, and it wasn't well received.

There are certainly uses for the different IO systems, as each has it's own specifics, but reasons to target them now and no better than before and devs aren't likely to make games that target them, save maybe those aiming to capitalise on Sony's pub-fund option and make a PS4 exclusive using an exclusive feature.

Great, now that's 3 pieces of hardware to go along with the software Valve can't deliver on.

I think runners on iOS with touch are successful because of the limitations of the touch only user interface, not because that is the best way to play these games. In that I agree with Shifty. That said, I wouldn't exclude the possibility that there will be people who would prefer to play a running section on a console with the touchpad because that's the only way they know how.

Plenty of good ways to use that touchpad though. First of all it's my preferred way of typing text on the PS4 right now. Also, uses is used in gaming more than you would expect though. At the very least it is considered an extra button or two, and for navigating a map the drag and pinch to zoom is quickly becoming a standard, but it's also good for throwing or sliding items with directional options, and as an additional camera control (Pure Pool uses that, though surprisingly I didn't see it as an option to actually use it for potting which I think could have worked rather well - but they also didn't implement their quite excellent Move controls from their PS3 game, so perhaps it was a budget issue and they just didn't have the time).

LittleBigPlanet uses it very extensively as an optional way to create levels, and that is a great improvement over the existing toolset as well for sure.

EDIT: looking here at some of the data I put in there (far from complete obviously!), Trine 2 is another good example of where the touchpad works better.

http://techingames.net/Features/Details/34?selectedTab=Report

Last edited:
I think oculus wins by default on the pc. The Morpheus is going to be designed around the ps4. Not to mention that while the 2015 headsets might be close to each other in specs the 2016 oculus will be better than the Morpheus and then the 2017 will be better still and so on.

I don't plan on upgrading every year but I would most likely be there for the big jumps and of course I am interested in the hololenses .

I'm also curious on an outside chance of Oculus working on the xbox one. MS says they have no plans for a headset and they have been close to Facebook in the past. So we may see them allow for oculus (after all the one is getting windows 10 so support should be trival) and then they can focus on their hololense

I'm not sure Morpheus and Occulus even show up to the same fight. One is fighting in Vegas and the other in LA. They're not competing devices.

Morpheus isn't even going to have PC support as far as i understand, so you can pretty much be sure as hell that neither is really going to eat into each other's market. Morpheus will be the defacto VR system for consoles (well the majorty console anyway), and Occulus will be for PC.

Occulus's competition will come from Valve's VR headset, although I'm not sure what the point for Valve actually is. What are they actually intending to do differently than OR that will separate their product? It just seems to me that Valve as a company likes to throw R&D money down the crapper. I mean Steam Machines will be DOA, as well as Steam OS. I understand why they think they have to do that, but it's still fighting an uphill battle on ice wearing iceskates.

I remember when valve first started talking about it , it seemed very expensive. So perhaps they think they will take the high end while oculus will have the low end ? Oculus with a $300 headset and Valve with something in the $1k range ?

Yes, but it's not going to be the primary driver in many games. Hence 'mostly output'. The input will be ancillary, in support of the output, in all but a few niche titles.

Back