The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

Hmmm.. I think I would have preferred a second stick and a single touch pad. This thing is going to feel so odd given we've had dual analogue sticks on most controllers since the latter half of the original PlayStation's life.

Hmmm.. I think I would have preferred a second stick and a single touch pad. This thing is going to feel so odd given we've had dual analogue sticks on most controllers since the latter half of the original PlayStation's life.

Touch is closer to a mouse than Analog sticks.

Games aimed at dual thumb control use the XB controller as their target. Deviating from that 'standard' is a bit of a gamble. Games are going to have to be fine-tuned for this controller especially. Valve may need to have a QA limit on what gets published to the Steambox,

I'll wait for impressions before judging. It's an interesting concept, and yes, it's more intent at replacing a mouse first and controller second, so I'd love to know how successful it is at that.

HTC Vive controller prototype.

BfwXCZa.jpg

Steam Controller Hands-on
Screen_Shot_2015-03-04_at_11.45.36_AM.0.0.png

Hands-on with the final version of the Steam controller

The Steam controller is a big part of what makes a Steam Machine a Steam Machine; we were told that running SteamOS and being packaged with the controller were two of the main things that need to be included to use that branding. The controller itself has gone through a number of revisions, but we were able to use what Valve is calling the final version during GDC.

It's a strange controller if you're used to the offerings on consoles. There are two touch pads, one on either side, that double as buttons. There are triggers, two bumpers, and two more buttons on the rear of the system on either side. That means that, ignoring the four face buttons, two touch pads and analog stick, there are six buttons on the rear of the controller.

It all makes sense when you hold it in your hand, and the controller does some interesting things to emulate the use of a mouse and keyboard. In the demo I played, the right touch pad emulated a track ball, complete with a sense of momentum; you could flick your thumb over the pad and "feel" the effect of a rolling ball along with a sense of weight to the movement. You can bring up an overlay in Steam at any point and adjust what the buttons do, how they act, and the level of the haptic feedback.

It's fully configurable, which is part of the point; we were told that one of the features of the system was the ability to come up with a novel control scheme and then share it online so others can use your settings.

The controller is coming this November, for $49.99. It felt great, and boasts some interesting and borderline strange features. It will take much more testing to see if it's a viable solution for PC gaming in front of the TV, but it's already closer than most other pieces of hardware that promise to provide the same thing.

The buttons (A,B,X,Y) look too low on the face of the controller to be comfortable for your thumb to pound for long periods.

The steam controller is ugly as sin, but at least it looks far more functional than the original concept. I agree with the placement of the face buttons looking to be in an awkard position for extended play. I'm eager to hear more impressions of the controller because it intrigues me.

Yes, I did enjoy that presentation onQ. It's nice to see Sony explore their options when it comes to gameplay in VR. I feel VR is a much more natural interface for motion controls than staring at a stationary screen. And Sony's doing some interesting things with the touch pad as well, I like what I see. Morpheus could end up huge for Sony.

The steam controller is ugly as sin, but at least it looks far more functional than the original concept. I agree with the placement of the face buttons looking to be in an awkard position for extended play. I'm eager to hear more impressions of the controller because it intrigues me.

Yes, I did enjoy that presentation onQ. It's nice to see Sony explore their options when it comes to gameplay in VR. I feel VR is a much more natural interface for motion controls than staring at a stationary screen. And Sony's doing some interesting things with the touch pad as well, I like what I see. Morpheus could end up huge for Sony.

Yeah it will shine with VR but I also think it can enhance TV gaming also if the camera becomes standard mixing the motion tracking & touch controls of the DS4 with head & Eye tracking of the Camera could make for some VR like experiences without the headset.

Example: mapping the touch pad of the controller inside the game as a object lets say a Hot Wheels car & you're in a playroom with different stuff set up like ramps & stacks of cards & so on for you to jump over or knock down with the push of your car. you could play that game as if you was really playing with a Hot Wheel & you could look around the room using head & eye tracking.

Or they could just make something like paper toss.

img_54f7ae07bfa0a.jpg

wow the amd impelementation nearly doubles framerate. That is a great thing . I will certainly go with 2 of whatever the second to best card is this fall.

3 Sony Gaze tracking patents

GAZE TRACKING VARIATIONS USING VISIBLE LIGHTS OR DOTS

Abstract

Implementations of the present disclosure may include calibration techniques for systems which include eye tracking devices and display devices. The calibration techniques may involve a calibration process which utilizes a plurality of visible calibration targets that each defines a gaze point for a user. The calibration targets may include both targets output to the display device, as well as gaze points located on the eye tracking device itself. The calibration techniques may also include additional sensors on the eye tracking device to gather additional calibration information, such as a back-facing camera which captures images of the display device from the eye tracking device. Increased information regarding system setup that is useful in calibrating the eye tracking system may be obtained from the calibration process.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...tertainment"&RS="sony+computer+entertainment"

GAZE TRACKING VARIATIONS USING DYNAMIC LIGHTING POSITION

Abstract

Aspects of the present disclosure relate to eye tracking systems and methods which track eyes by illuminating the eyes using a light source and detecting the eye illuminations using a sensor. Implementations of the present disclosure may utilize a light source with a dynamic lighting position to account for changes in lighting conditions during the tracking which interfere with detection of the eye illuminations, such as reflections in glasses which may obscure a user's eyes.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...tertainment"&RS="sony+computer+entertainment"

GAZE TRACKING VARIATIONS USING SELECTIVE ILLUMINATION

Abstract

Aspects of the present disclosure relate to eye tracking systems and methods which track eyes by illuminating the eyes using a light source and detecting the eye illuminations using a sensor. Implementations of the present disclosure may utilize wide angle lighting via a plurality of individual light sources which are each oriented in different orientations. A wide area may be illuminated by the different light sources, and these light sources may be selectively turned on and off based on a current location of a user.

I just had a perfect idea for a VR game while at a bar yesterday. It plays to the strenghts of VR, and head tracking (and ideally gaze tracking if it were possible) is the core of gameplay. Behold:

Boyfriend Simulator.

You play as a guy going on a date with his crazy jealous girlfriend. Make your girlfriend feel like you are giving her enough atention, and don't let her see you are looking at other hot women around you.
It would be a mostly on-rails experience, where you follow her through a variety of diferent places. There'd be the dinner at the restaurant level, Sunday at the park level, Night-club level, friens gathering level, walk in the mall level etc.
Gameplay is based on male's hard to control willingness to look at womens bodies. It should have a exagerated and comically charicatural representation of the world, where your girlfriend is extra annoying and angry, and over-talkative, saying very uninteresting stuff. Ocasionally you have to nod to pretend you are listening. Fail to notice she made you a question, and you loose points. Nod up-down if she asked something like "do I look fat on this dress" instead of noding left-right -denial- and you loose a bunch of points.
The places you go to, would have all sorts of impossibly hot girls doing impossibly sexy things, though inocently. Something of Leisure Suit Larry level of absurtity, but girls have to look convincing and actually atractive enough for a man's natural instinct of checking them out to actually kick in. There'd be girls with short shorts everywhere, girls leaning on counters with big cleavege, girls leaning butt-to-the-sky to get things from the floor, women going up ladders wearing skirts... If you look at any of that while your gf is allert, she will call you out and you loose more points. Whenever some absurdly sexy thing happens around you, you have to do your best to look anywhere else.
Other moments you will have to interact with other women, like the host of a party you are going to, or the cashier of a store, she'd ofcoure have huge cleavage, you have to make eye contact with her, and NEVER look down. This would get extra hard as she would start moving in ways that would make her breasts shake, and whenever you look, you hear a huge Grrrrrrr from your gf, while the other woman subtly giggles devilishly.
Loose to many points and the date is over.
There could also be levels where your friends keep sending you messages in your phone, either inviting you to go out with them instead, or sending pictures of nude women. The objective here would be to keep up with the messages without letting your gf notice. This level would use a motion sensing controler to detect when you raise your hands in front of your face!
There could be football game level also. You are at a bar with her, she wants to talk to you about something very important about this bich that is giving her a hard time at work for some very petty reasons and through some very small passive agressive actions, and OMG, do you believe the other day she walked in with a.... (you get the picture) and while she is saying all that, there is a TV on the baground playing the soccer game of the team you cheer for. You gotta whach the most of the game you can whenever your girl isn't looking.
Final bosses would be:
-picking her up at a all-girls gathering she had with her girl friends and for some reason you have to stay there for a while and all of them are supper hot and hitting on you.
-Sunny day at the beach - enough said.
-Going to the gym - this one you could actualy not be punished by your gf sometimes, but acutally by failing to do some of the exercises and injuring yourself or looking stupid, like in falling from the treadmill or by hitting your heat with the weght you were supposed to be lifting.

The feminist comunity would of course get all butt-hurt over this for portraying old stereotypes, but that's just what they always do anyways. I don't have a gf like this, and never did, and I agree that relationships like that are very mediocre. I have never seen any gf of mine as just a parrot saying stuff I don't care about that I just have to endure. But still, there are people like that in the world -many infact- and it is a funny subject matter. There is no harm in poking fun at specific types of people, it shouldn't be a game's job to readucate society or pretend certain types of people and relationships don't exist and never existed just because they are seen as oldfashioned, and actually, setting out to do that is very arrogant.

Now, doesn't this sound like it could be a hell of a funny game? It also has the uncomon property that gameplay is not mechanically or strategically hard. Difficulty is actually based on self control and a guys natural desire to check beatyful women out. Homosexual men, or heterosexual women would probably see no point in the game and find it stupid, but that would be part of the fun!
Someone, please, make this happen.

Back