The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

Yes, I was referring to the prevalent games today. They may be built for a different camera perspective and playstyle. The motion controllers are typically held in free space. Traditional controllers are usually anchored. They stress and help the players differently.

Remember The dual shock 3 isn't what replaced the Dual shock 2. There was a huge thing about sony not having rumble at launch and for like the first 2 years and them claiming it wasn't needed.

And how many non-sony fanboys agreed with them? It was nonsense back then, and it's ridiculous that anyone can bring it up with a straight face today.

Switching gears a sec...

Kinect Sports Ad

JoyRide Kinect Ad

Kinectimals Ad

Didn't put these in the Kinect Games thread since they really don't have anything to do with gameplay. Figured they were more about marketing.

Tommy McClain

The last ad's cute, but it strikes me they're taking a gample by not really showing what these people are wiggling about for. I guess they're hoping there's enough coverage so far that people appreciate it's a camera based games interface. And I didn't get the waggly camera-work either. I suppose that was trying to add a sense of motion?

Advertising a motion experience is hard. It's something that only really sells on experience. Nintendo were damned clever in focussing on the users' reactions.

The waggly camera work gave me a sense of how the Kinect sensor can see you in 3D. Much more noticeable in the 1st ad. But I agree the ads don't really show enough of the games. The first trailers really did a great job of that and had some really fitting music playing in the background. Maybe these ads are more about Kinect itself? And maybe they'll have more ads about the games later?

Tommy McClain

The waggly camera work gave me a sense of how the Kinect sensor can see you in 3D.
Yeah, they seemed derived from jiggle-style 3D images. I guess that explains the IMO jarring separation of the smoothly animating players and stop-frame style rooms.

Of course these clips can't be taken in isolation. MS's ad campaign is supported by some serious investment. I guess the idea is to get the name associated with the experience through as many styles as possible, building up a broader concept of what the Kinect experience is. It's not as straightforward as just saying "this product gives this fun/emotional reward" but trying to educate the masses to the tech and experiences, for which they are investing in roadshows, Facebook community promotion, media coverage and such.

Where's LB when you need him? This marketing gubbins is right up his alley.

I like Nintendo's non-games:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/27/planetarium/

The title has three modes:

Sky Observation
Freely view the night sky, using the Wiimote to make the sky scroll and for selecting stars. You can also select to view the skies in specific areas of the world. On the presentation side, you can toggle constellation lines and art on and off, and set different background music. Shake the Wiimote, and you'll get to see a shooting star.

Planetarium Mode
This mode consists of 11 learning programs, teaching such things as the history and mythology of the constellations and stars. Three of the programs are presented in full voice.

Sky Field Guide
Use this mode to search for specific objects and astronomy terms. You'll find 88 constellations, 110 star clusters and nebula, and more. This mode is linked with the Sky Observation mode. If you seen an item of interest in that mode, you can jump directly here for more details.

As expected, Kinect will draw on household brands to establish itself:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30637/Kinect_Launch_Marked_By_Major_Ad_Partnerships.php

Microsoft Advertising is partnering with brands including Chevrolet, Sprint and T-Mobile for the November 4 launch of the full body tracking 3D Kinect camera for Xbox 360, the Xbox house said Monday.

All three of the advertisers will launch Kinect-related campaigns when the anticipated peripheral launches later this year.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-09-27-nintendo-confirms-wii-remote-plus

Nintendo has confirmed the planned release of a revised version of its Wii Remote, following a now-pulled listing on retailer GameStop.

Most speculated that the new controller will have integrated M+ add-on. I'm curious to see if they will tag the Vitality Sensor along.

Not really a big surprise. At E3 they announced all the dashboard apps like Netflix, last.fm, ESPN, Zune, Facebook, Twitter would get the Kinect treatment. I believe Canal+ and Sky were both mentioned as well.

Tommy McClain

Yeah. I am looking forward to the media integration as that is my main reason to buy the stuff.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/28/tetsuya-mizuguchi-wants-your-memories-in-child-of-eden/

During a Tokyo Game Show event, Q? Entertainment head Tetsuya Mizuguchi unveiled a new component of his abstract Xbox 360/PS3 rail shooter, Child of Eden -- a component for which he needs your input. For "The Journey Project" (not to be confused with The Journeyman Project), Mizuguchi seeks to build a collection of player-submitted pictures, for inclusion in the game's last level.

"In this game, the player's mission is to purify everything, every data," Mizuguchi told us in an interview. "And this is the final stage of this game, you know, I need the beauty of memories." With the collective memories of family, friends and "beautiful landscapes" added, "finally, you can get that kind of memory with music. It must be real." The developer added, "I want to put everybody's credit at the end of the game."

It'd be more cool if the game can pull photos from my own collection to make a game.

EDIT: We can already detect smiles in still images.

AzBat said:
Switching gears a sec...

Kinect Sports Ad

JoyRide Kinect Ad

Kinectimals Ad

Didn't put these in the Kinect Games thread since they really don't have anything to do with gameplay. Figured they were more about marketing.

Tommy McClain

I'm going to say what I said in the Kinect Games thread...any commercial that doesn't match/exceed Adrenaline Misfits is ridiculous. The formula is already done. USE IT!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3 kinect ads are bad. Border-lining on horrible (esp. for MS' standards wrt 360 ads). :cry:

And seriously:
51E6iTLDByL._AA300_.jpg

But that's Sony, and Sony never really gets the communication part in visual communication nailed down, so let's not harp on them that much; MS did. Jump In was perhaps one of the most effective taglines for this generation, and the packaging/ads for the 360 were quite coherent to what the brand wanted to communicate.

But if these kinect ads are real, it's amazingly astonishing that whichever doofus at MS actually approved the horrible vision from the creative director/director for the campaign. The in-your-face treatment of the tagline (YOU ARRRGH THE CONTROLLAR!) is about 10 years old (and despised), and I don't get why I should prefer motion vs traditional controller in the footage shown. Speeding up people's motion into grotesque territory rather than slowing it down and trying to achieve "magic" is probably the last straw in all of it.

It's bad because Kinect's supposed to target the casual/semi-core (eeek! classifications :LOL:) and MS normally stands behind products they believe in by hiring good agencies (Windows 7, Win Pho 7 etc).

Eurogamer: MS advises against "clutter" for Kinect
Microsoft has warned that messy floors "with clothes all over the place" will prevent Kinect from working properly
<...>
The Kinect sensor should be placed in the horizontal middle of your telly at either the top or bottom. Exactly where will likely be bossed by the location of your telly's speakers, as having the sensor too close will mean audio interference.
<...>
The requirements don't stop there. People with halogen spotlit rooms may encounter difficulties, as the Kinect sensor prefers an even light source throughout.
Yeah. I'm putting a chair out on my lawn, bring my binoculars and watch all of this unfold from a safe distance.

Eurogamer: MS advises against "clutter" for Kinect

"To have really bright lighting in one spot and really dark lighting in another spot: as you move between the two you might actually look a bit different to the sensor, [and it will be] a little bit harder for us to keep track of you throughout the play space," said Kareem Choudhry, principal development manager on Kinect.
That's another blow to the IR space, which sadly isn't going to completely solve it light pollution issues that affected EyeToy.

Back