The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

If it was a large issue we'd see alot of returns, my guess would be that if its an issue at all most would just keep the extra controller and pickup the bundle.

I think it's safe to say that Sony very much underestimated demand, luckily for them they launched in September so they have time to recover supplies for the holiday season. If they launched in November with the same supplies they'd be f__ked.

Another Dance Central movie, being played in a Best Buy.

Be sure to keep watching until the freestyle bit comes up though ...

[yt dancecentral /yt]

Every time I see Dance Central I think the naysayers will be surprised come this holiday with sales numbers for Kinect and select titles.

Now all MSFT needs to develop in concert with another publisher is a kiosk that encourages people to try it using the Kinect featureset as an almost "self-aware" kiosk.

Customer walks by the kiosk
Kinect: Hey, you!
Customer: [looks at kiosk]
Kinect: Yes, you! (Kinect displays the video of the person looking at the kiosk)
Kinect: Just wave at me to give me a try!
Customer: [waves]
Kinect: Are you ready to get your dance on or would you rather have an adventure?
Kinect: [on screen prompt] Say "Dance" or Say "Adventure"
Customer: Dance
[Dance Central loads]

Sure there are a slew of problems with the above scenario but it does incorporate many of Kinects selling points.

I read it only sold out in some areas. In others, there are still plenty left. Still a good start though. Hope Sony keeps rolling out innovative services and integrate them together.

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2010/09/08/google-tv-platform-to-include-voice-control/

The WSJ is reporting that Google TV will include voice control courtesy of Google’s speech recognition technology — the same that powers Android on handsets. No word on how far the integration will go, but a Google product manager says one will be able to change channels just using their voice. I’m guessing the process will work similarly to Voice Actions for Android (demo below). Now the big question is: Will there be any other input devices, other than an Android handset, that can take voice commands?

The demo clip looks awesome. In real use so far, it's much less smooth for me (Threw my phone at the passenger seat one time coz it kept recognizing the wrong words :oops:). Nonetheless, it'd be a good secondary input for the living room. IMHO, it's the UI framework that has the most value (e.g., ability to paste spoken text into any edit field, applications can add "verbs" to the UI input module).

If MS optimizes the experience for Kinect mic, then it should be one step up from holding up a cellphone, or speaking into the cell phone in speaker phone mode.

I read it only sold out in some areas. In others, there are still plenty left. Still a good start though. Hope Sony keeps rolling out innovative services and integrate them together.

it sold out here quickly but after two weeks there was more stock and now you can find it without going to more than two stores.

Every time I see Dance Central I think the naysayers will be surprised come this holiday with sales numbers for Kinect and select titles.

Now all MSFT needs to develop in concert with another publisher is a kiosk that encourages people to try it using the Kinect featureset as an almost "self-aware" kiosk.

Customer walks by the kiosk
Kinect: Hey, you!
Customer: [looks at kiosk]
Kinect: Yes, you! (Kinect displays the video of the person looking at the kiosk)
Kinect: Just wave at me to give me a try!
Customer: [waves]
Kinect: Are you ready to get your dance on or would you rather have an adventure?
Kinect: [on screen prompt] Say "Dance" or Say "Adventure"
Customer: Dance
[Dance Central loads]

Sure there are a slew of problems with the above scenario but it does incorporate many of Kinects selling points.

Interesting concept. Would be compelling if it can work.

Sure there are a slew of problems with the above scenario but it does incorporate many of
Kinects selling points.
Is that you molyneux?
Sounds a bit like your project milo idea (you know the one that got canned recently cause it was technically unfeasible ;) )

Is that you molyneux?
Sounds a bit like your project milo idea (you know the one that got canned recently cause it was technically unfeasible ;) )
Nothing in NavNucST3's example was particularly complex or prone to failure. Voice recognition between two known words is easy enough. The end result would be pretty compelling in a store, I think! Would be a great way to attract attention.

I don't think that Sony undershipped because they lacked Move controllers. I think Sony are keeping the Move under-supplied to give the impression that its a hot item.

Nothing in NavNucST3's example was particularly complex or prone to failure. Voice recognition between two known words is easy enough. The end result would be pretty compelling in a store, I think! Would be a great way to attract attention.

These are things that actually happen anyway. You wave at Kinect to get the Kinect Hub to open, we already know you can launch a game or movie through voice. Microsoft is collecting LOTS of voice data. Both Kinect Adventures and Dance Central use the camera functionality to show you a single snapshot in a given moment(Adventures) or multiple snapshots to simulate stop motion(Dance Central).

As far as prone to failure, in a retail environment, I'm sure we could think of numerous ways where it would fail or perhaps not perform as well as had hoped but for someone to suggest that simply waving and saying Dance or Adventures is akin to attempting to recreate an emotional bond between an on-screen AI and a person through natural conversation progression, is ridiculous. Besides the "hey you come play with me!" everything else is stuff that as of the E3 and/or Macy's build, is already being done.

I pre-ordered mine because the local GameStop dudette told me the original supply of DS3 was somewhat limited. So this may be yet another channel jumpstart hurdle. Once the initial demand spike tapers off, we all should be ok.

I don't think the official sources are reporting stock out anyway. Only anecdotal observations by individual gamers.

I pre-ordered mine because the local GameStop dudette told me the original supply of DS3 was somewhat limited. So this may be yet another channel jumpstart hurdle. Once the initial demand spike tapers off, we all should be ok.

I don't think the official sources are reporting stock out anyway. Only anecdotal observations by individual gamers.

Not really,

Amazon sold out with 2-4 weeks backorder, Target out of stock 2-4 weeks, only in stock is selling at a $10-20 premium.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002I0J51U/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Walmart out of stock

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Playstation-3-Move-Motion-Controller-PS3-Move/14658864

Best Buy out of stock 2-4 weeks

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...on+3/1122178.p?id=1218223233936&skuId=1122178

Yeah, but has Sony or any retailers openly warn/b*tch about stock out ? e.g., There may be sufficient units, but not allocated properly by the retail chains internally. The situation may not last long (As in more are en route to destinations, and Sony can make more easily).

Who's selling at a premium ?

Starter packs all out of supply over my areas as well. Moves, there are some to be found but not many. Simply because the majority need a PSEye first and thus the Starter pack is what they need and a secondary controller next

I doubt it. My local GameStop, Target, BestBuy have the new controllers in stock (a few units).

I think more gamers are waiting to buy the GT5 bundle as opposed to the Sports Champions bundle.

Nod, it's about what I was expecting. It would prove popular with currently owners of PS3, but wouldn't be triggering a sudden demand spike among people that don't already own a PS3.

Regards,
SB

I doubt it. My local GameStop, Target, BestBuy have the new controllers in stock (a few units).
I think more gamers are waiting to buy the GT5 bundle as opposed to the Sports Champions bundle.

Ah, you're the ancedotal individual gamers, I see now, ;):p

Back