The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

This would be a perfect gift for your childs, instead of the Wiimote-screen where it says to use the wrist-strap you will get a screen "clean up your room NOW!" and "Is that undone homework on the desk?"

Haha, I was just thinking the same thing, except with some of my single male friends. Maybe it'll actually get them to clean up their apartment/room? :D

"Microsoft, working to make living spaces cleaner and more pleasant to live in." :D

Regards,
SB

But if these kinect ads are real, it's amazingly astonishing that whichever doofus at MS actually approved the horrible vision from the creative director/director for the campaign. The in-your-face treatment of the tagline (YOU ARRRGH THE CONTROLLAR!) is about 10 years old (and despised), and I don't get why I should prefer motion vs traditional controller in the footage shown. Speeding up people's motion into grotesque territory rather than slowing it down and trying to achieve "magic" is probably the last straw in all of it.

Are they really that bad ? I agree the tagline "You're the Controller" needs to change but that's a done deal way before these ads were released. For now, they tell me Kinect can be enjoyed by everyone and it's a totally different experiences. You don't have to play it for competitive reasons too.

When the launch date draws near, they will have different ads to sell Kinect features and software.

I see some blogs mocking the ads. Then again, it's motion gaming. The same people will do what they do for their own reasons.

The PS3 Sports Champions bundle indeed looks cheap. As in %$&$*( cheap.

Stolen from GAF…

Apparently, the Kung Fu LIVE crew (Air Guitar Company) are looking into integrating Move with their pure camera-based technology:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/09/29/body-on-with-kung-fu-live-across-the-world/#comment-460952

Teemu Mäki-Patola | September 29th, 2010 at 11:56 am

Thanks Letherclad! That’s right! We certainly hope to be doing much more in the future and are currently inspecting the integration of Move sticks with our full-body tracking tech. It shows promise of a wide variety of new experiences.

Haha, I was just thinking the same thing, except with some of my single male friends. Maybe it'll actually get them to clean up their apartment/room? :D

"Microsoft, working to make living spaces cleaner and more pleasant to live in." :D

Regards,
SB
Not to mention all the new jobs created at the return counters.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/0...gsmash-the-game-bundled-with-wii-remote-plus/

Thanks to retail leaks, we know Wii Remote Plus will be bundled with FlingSmash in North America. Nintendo’s upgraded remote has the Wii MotionPlus gyroscopic dongle built inside.

That’s nice, but what is FlingSmash? It’s like Arkanoid with Wii Sports tennis controls. In this game, players swing the remote to send Smasher flying through blocks as the screen automatically scrolls horizontally, and according to these screenshots, vertically.

[screen shots below]

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-10-04-one-in-three-households-have-wii-console

Nintendo has revealed that one in three households in the UK contain a Wii console, while over 11 million people - around one in six people - own a DS handheld.

The statistics, supplied by GfK Chart-Track, have been released alongside the company's Christmas line-up, which includes an array of UK celebrity spokespeoeple.

Topping the list is actress Dame Helen Mirren, who will be promoting Wii Fit Plus, while pop group JLS is fronting Wii Party.

Meanwhile, broadcaster Sir Terry Wogan will be endorsing Brain Training as pop-football duo Louise and Jamie Redknapp enthuse over New Super Mario Bros.

Other names involved in Nintendo's advertising plans include Alexandra Burke, Olly Murs, Ant and Dec and Jedward.

That's mind-boggling. I didn't believe it at first when I read the stroy breaking earlier, until I read the stats were from ChartTrack. A population of ~60 million, about a 5th of the US, and all of 6% of the billion-strong combined populations of NA and Europe, has bought over 10% of the world's supply of these things! That's more than Japan, with 10 million sold to 120 million people!!

I guess that's the selling power of Ant and Dec!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/04/microsoft-lightspace-brings-surface-plus-shadows-to-any-table/

Surface was bested by SecondLight as the coolest tech we can't buy, and now here comes another successor: LightSpace. This gets rid of the expensive table in favor of a (surely not cheap) series of projectors hanging from the ceiling paired to a 3D camera. The camera detects the relative position of things and instructs a projector to apply a Surface-like interface onto any flat surface. From there a user can literally grab any file they like and carry it over to another surface, where it will be displayed. It's all demonstrated quite handily in the video below...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/04/worlds-smallest-violin-uses-mems-plays-only-for-you-video/

You might not have heard of microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), but there are likely a bunch in your new smartphone -- they make possible the tiny accelerometers and gyroscopes needed to detect motion as your device swings around. However, last week students at the University of Twente demonstrated a brand new micrometer-scale system: a tiny musical instrument that plucks strings (those "folded flexures" above) one-tenth of a human hair wide. Six microscopic resonators fit on a microchip, one resonator per musical tone, and series of the chips can be combined into a MIDI interface to play entire songs. …

(Video inside)

Hm, I went by the local Fry's this afternoon to get a look-see at Move.

They had plenty of Navigation controllers, plenty of games, plenty of charging stations, and even plenty of Move/Eye/Sports Champions bundles, but they were completely sold out of the Move controller standalone.

Pity, as I already have an Eye, and was thinking of grabbing a Move or two.

Nice to see they've sold out, I guess.

Hm, I went by the local Fry's this afternoon to get a look-see at Move.

They had plenty of Navigation controllers, plenty of games, plenty of charging stations, and even plenty of Move/Eye/Sports Champions bundles, but they were completely sold out of the Move controller standalone.

Pity, as I already have an Eye, and was thinking of grabbing a Move or two.

Nice to see they've sold out, I guess.
Yeah, it's been a bit difficult to get the standalone parts. I ended up buying the Move controller, Navcon and charging dock from three separate online retailers, because none would have more than one of the items in stock. I wonder if this indicates strong sales or poor supply. The starter pack seems to be just slightly easier to get.

I wonder if this indicates strong sales or poor supply.
Two sides to the same coin. Or rather, supply isn't keeping up with demand, but you don't know if demand is higher than could reasonably be anticipated, or if demand is pretty low but there was very little supply. All in all, availability is much of an indicator of sales!

I think initial sales have been good, but resupplies after that initial shipment seems to be a widespread issue.

Yeah, it's been a bit difficult to get the standalone parts. I ended up buying the Move controller, Navcon and charging dock from three separate online retailers, because none would have more than one of the items in stock. I wonder if this indicates strong sales or poor supply. The starter pack seems to be just slightly easier to get.

It is def sold out everywhere because of no supply! My buddy who bought Move controller had to check out a lot of stores to get 4 pieces! He talked to store-people and they all lamented about Sony providing not enough controller to their store. The dedicated game shop for instance got a total of 3 Move controllers. Other were already sold out or pre-ordered, amazon is maybe still sold out...

Whoever is responsible for the supply at Sony - he clearly does not do a good job! Because it is not the first time that Sony supply fails...

If the Move bundles are available, and the Move controllers not, that suggests Sony underestimated how many PSEye owners wanted Move, and assumed most buyers would be sans PSEye and want the bundle.

If the Move bundles are available, and the Move controllers not, that suggests Sony underestimated how many PSEye owners wanted Move, and assumed most buyers would be sans PSEye and want the bundle.

And/or how many people would buy a second (or third/fourth - there are a few who did that for multiplayer Gladiator in particular that I know from Gaf) Move controller of course.

But the Move bundle itself has sold out in many places as well.

Back