The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

Lenovo eBox controller-free gaming console
The company has been hard at work on creating a controller-free console, much like Microsoft's Kinect, called the eBox. The console will use a webcam to watch and interpret the movements a player makes. Pricing on the unit is reported to be higher than the Wii and less than an Xbox 360, however it will also come with 30 free games. 16 global video game developers have agreed to create content for the eBox.

Sounds more like PS2+PSEye camera console, but probably using a traditional PC architecture.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/30133/Lenovo_Developing_A_Motion_Control_Console_For_China.php

PC company Lenovo has announced that they are helping Beijing eedoo Technology Ltd (a business arm of Lenovo) in the development of an Xbox 360 competitor for the Chinese market. Called the eBox, the console is similar to the technology of Microsoft's Kinect hardware, which tracks a user's physical movements and translates them into real movements in-game.

Jack Luo seemed undaunted by Microsoft's efforts to advance in the Chinese market, saying to China Daily, "We understand Chinese culture and customers better than our competitors. We still hold advantages in terms of Chinese game content, sales channels and customer service."

Personally, I don't think they have the commitment and multi-disciplinary skills to sustain the product yet. There are a lot of other opportunities and distractions in China. But if they keep trying, they may land somewhere.

Jack Luo also forgot to cite the unfair competitive advantage (Xbox and the rest of the home consoles are still banned) in his quote. What competition *if* there is only one player ? So the Chinese government may lift the ban soon, if not eventually.

http://gizmodo.com/5622137/wii-fit--balance-board-%2B-wheeled-robot-%2B-chair—one-happy-baby)

Some children suffer from disabilities which prevent them from crawling around and exploring the world, but thanks to projects like this one they might have an alternative way to move around: Baby-sized motorized chairs.

... piloted by leaning and butt-scooting on top of a WiiFit board.

Also reported by Kotaku:
http://kotaku.com/5624510/motorized-wii-fit-babymobile-+-now-with-video

Thanks Shifty and everybody else for the clarification. Doesn't sound so bad for us English speakers, but I still think that their small percentage of non-English speaking market is getting the shaft. I understand why though, still doesn't make it suck any less. I also agree somewhat their "rush" to market is leading to some of these "downgrade" announcements. Though I don't agree with the idea that they won't _ever_ reach their original promises or goals. It'll take some time for sure. I'm confident that what Kinect can do 1-2 years after launch versus what it does at launch, will be a few orders of magnitude better. Hopefully these new surprises won't sully their launch, they can't afford very many more of them.

Tommy McClain

It's interesting that this wouldn't have been a problem in the past with staggered launches which left a company plenty of time for localization, etc.

It's only a problem now that virtually simultaneous global product launches are far more common.

In other words, the challenges of launching in multiple languages hasn't changed. Only the expectations of consumers has. 10 years ago, it wouldn't have been considered rushed. Since Europe probably wouldn't get it for another 6-9 months. :D

Regards,
SB

Kinect to support three languages at launch - English, Japanese, and Mexican Spanish. (MS sure love us Europeans)

This one makes sense as there are a lot of Mexican-Americans in the US. Although I'm a bit, WTF, on the Japanese support. Unless this is indicative of a new marketing push by MS in Japan. But without Japanese devs releasing games for the Japanese market, I'm not sure that would do any better in raising X360 marketshare there.

Voice recognition disabled in mainland Europe and Canada until Spring 2011. not just those languages aren't supported, but disabled, so even if you can speak English or Mexican, you can't use voice chat. (MS really loves us Europeans!!)

That's just really odd that it would be completely disabled for Canada. At least it's still enabled for the UK. And being disabled for mainland Europe is somewhat understandable as English isn't the native language of any of those countries.

I still think it's bizarre to disable it. Unless Kinect has some serious issues with accents. In which case, this may be a PR move to avoid having a sort of viral bad reputation for bad voice recognition by non-native English speakers trying to use it and having it fail more often than not.

Hmmm, although some of the local English accents in the UK can be pretty unrecognizable to some. :D

Regards,
SB

That's just really odd that it would be completely disabled for Canada. At least it's still enabled for the UK. And being disabled for mainland Europe is somewhat understandable as English isn't the native language of any of those countries.

I still think it's bizarre to disable it. Unless Kinect has some serious issues with accents. In which case, this may be a PR move to avoid having a sort of viral bad reputation for bad voice recognition by non-native English speakers trying to use it and having it fail more often than not.

In Canada, and I suspect parts of mainland Europe, it's a legal issue. Lots of things can't be sold in Canada if they don't have French language support. So until Kinect can offer both English and French, that feature is going to be disabled in Canada.

It's better to disable it than ruin the overall experience (if it's not ready). Focus on the gestures first. It should be faster than speech recognition anyway.

Some of Milo's experiments don't need speech recognition at all. They can detect the tone of your voice to branch decision ("Do it" or "Noooooo !").

It's better to disable it than ruin the overall experience (if it's not ready).
XB360 has a language setting. Ergo MS can release it with only support for English, Spanish (of any flavour), and Japanese. That would please everyone who hasn't a language problem with those options, while not presenting an unfinished experience to other language speakers. This lockout choice by MS is ham-fisted and generating more negative feedback than it should.

May be they found those 3 simple language categories inadequate ? The accent and locale may vary too much from US to (and within) EU.

http://kotaku.com/5627191/turn-your-playstation-camera-into-a-3d-scanner

The PlayStation Eye is fairly handy as a console camera, a PC webcam and even part of Sony's Move setup. But it's even handier as a 3D scanner.

That means that with the Eye, some software and a home-made rig, you can create your own 3D scans, which can then be used as mere models or, more extravagantly, if you can find a 3D printer you can make your own statues or action figures.

Instructions: http://wiki.makerbot.com/makerscanner

XB360 has a language setting. Ergo MS can release it with only support for English, Spanish (of any flavour), and Japanese. That would please everyone who hasn't a language problem with those options, while not presenting an unfinished experience to other language speakers. This lockout choice by MS is ham-fisted and generating more negative feedback than it should.

Well, as Brad Grenz mentioned for some countries it appears to be a legal issue rather than a choice that MS had for some countries. So while I'm sure MS would have loved to unlock it for Canada (being a majority English speaking country), they are legally prevented from doing so.

And I'm still sitting here wondering why Japanese language support was prioritized over, say, German or French or whatever...

Regards,
SB

Well, as Brad Grenz mentioned for some countries it appears to be a legal issue rather than a choice that MS had for some countries. So while I'm sure MS would have loved to unlock it for Canada (being a majority English speaking country), they are legally prevented from doing so.
Sure, it makes sense in Canada. What about Spain? France? The Netherlands? Germany with its large contingent of English speakers?

And I'm still sitting here wondering why Japanese language support was prioritized over, say, German or French or whatever...
My guess is MS hope this resonates with the Japanesse and finally gves them some significant presence, so they prioritised Japan during development to try another spearhead into that market.

Back