The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

Something major must be up.
You know, to me it sounds more and more likely Project Natal is premature. They showed it to the world too early, and now have rushed to get the final product to match. They are 'hoping to have' seated gameplay working, and they'll have voice interfacing...at a later date. The downgrades smack of a vision that hadn't been properly researched, and an optimistic spec sheet with four player tracking wasn't realistic. MS seem to be scrambling for a release date no matter what. Holiday Season 2010, even if it's missing half its features. Even the avatar change announcement, that's happening a few months before release, where proper testing during prototype phases would have identified this earlier. Their other casual peripheral creations, LIPS and "Your In The Movies", were similarly released without being ready.

It's like the opposite of Sony! Richard Marks does lots of research and testing and won't release a product they don't feel is ready, which means Sony sitting on tech for years and not doing anything with it. MS seem to be chasing an idea without having done the proper groundwork, and because they were so public in the beginning, the changes to the original idea which inevitably come with product development have also been public, resulting in a sorry list of downgrades and negative PR among gamers.

Fortunately for MS, that still won't impact their target audience much, but it's not a good way to run a business. I wonder who the driving force is?

Edit : It's worth noting MS have clarified this lack of voice commands is for non-English langauges, and not an inherent tech shortcoming, although that still means for non-English countries, MS are chasing their own spec sheet and you'll just have to cross your fingers they get your language working. One almost wonders why MS bother with non-English countires, seeing as they put such little effort into them!

As Shifty mentioned in the other thread, it's only for non-English.

Ahem... good things come to those who wait. Seriously, after looking at Milo, you should know that "we" are not there yet. They need to make it work with assorted English accents too. I think focusing on gestures right now is not a bad thing either, since it should be more efficient/effective than speech recognition (for now anyway).

If they get the echo cancellation, voice location, and noise suppression stuff working, that's already a major step forward. We didn't get those over the PSEye hardware. Speech recognition probably has to be tuned again once it's in the field.

Fortunately for MS, that still won't impact their target audience much, but it's not a good way to run a business.

I really question how true this statement is or eventually will be once Kinect is released, especally given the already firmly established barriers to entry.

Here in the UK, I can't see Kinect's price tag along with its lacklustre selection of launch software (and now continually demishing feature list) being that appealing to their target demographic... especialy given the fact that any user must first own an xbox360 to start with.

Now with MS rushing to market with an immature product i'm not all that sure that casual and non-gamers will be ready to spend such large amounts of their disposable income on a device based on it's intial offering.

Let's face it, if the soccer mom's and casual folks that don't follow the video gaming media only have the launch title selection and currently borked feature list to go off then i can't realistically see them wanting to fall over themselves to purchase the device in any significant quantities.

At least the Wii worked and and pioneered and brand new fresh experience. As much as Kinect is more innovative than Sony's offering (in terms of it's degree of differentiation from the Wii) it's certainly not as new and fresh as everyone likes to make it out to be (PS EyeToy anyone?).

Remember that brainwave controller ?
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS...uters/technologyNews+(News+/+US+/+Technology)

"Star Wars" creator George Lucas has filed a $5 million trademark lawsuit against a company marketing a technology that allows users to control computer applications directly with their minds.

... and for people who want to play PS Move games in a bouncy inflatable castle at birthday parties...

Confirmed: PlayStation Move is trampoline compatible -
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/24/confirmed-playstation-move-is-trampoline-compatible/

I really question how true this statement is or eventually will be once Kinect is released, especally given the already firmly established barriers to entry.

Here in the UK, I can't see Kinect's price tag along with its lacklustre selection of launch software (and now continually demishing feature list) being that appealing to their target demographic... especialy given the fact that any user must first own an xbox360 to start with.

Now with MS rushing to market with an immature product i'm not all that sure that casual and non-gamers will be ready to spend such large amounts of their disposable income on a device based on it's intial offering.

Let's face it, if the soccer mom's and casual folks that don't follow the video gaming media only have the launch title selection and currently borked feature list to go off then i can't realistically see them wanting to fall over themselves to purchase the device in any significant quantities.

It's as much word of mouth/street as anything, and if the word is that your sh1t don't work you'll suffer.

At least the Wii worked and and pioneered and brand new fresh experience. As much as Kinect is more innovative than Sony's offering (in terms of it's degree of differentiation from the Wii) it's certainly not as new and fresh as everyone likes to make it out to be (PS EyeToy anyone?).

Wii first benefitted from a new platform launch, then the word of mouth was that it was fresh, fun, and worked. MS and Sony both will struggle with this IMO.

Wait so because they choose to prioritize the most popular language, the language that makes up north of 80% of their customer base and suddenly kinect is premature?:LOL::LOL::LOL::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Prioritizing makes sense.

I think they are stacking all the "downgrade" announcements together, and the lateness of this news doesn't sit well with PR. Knowing MS, they probably have some surprises in TGS or at launch though.

Wait so because they choose to prioritize the most popular language, the language that makes up north of 80% of their customer base and suddenly kinect is premature?:LOL::LOL::LOL::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Your clearly not following the argument. The reasons for thinking Kinect is premature are numerous, not just this single issue which I had already suggested could just be a regional thing.

Thanks Shifty and everybody else for the clarification. Doesn't sound so bad for us English speakers, but I still think that their small percentage of non-English speaking market is getting the shaft. I understand why though, still doesn't make it suck any less. I also agree somewhat their "rush" to market is leading to some of these "downgrade" announcements. Though I don't agree with the idea that they won't _ever_ reach their original promises or goals. It'll take some time for sure. I'm confident that what Kinect can do 1-2 years after launch versus what it does at launch, will be a few orders of magnitude better. Hopefully these new surprises won't sully their launch, they can't afford very many more of them.

Tommy McClain

Ignoring the headline, this Eurogamer article mentions a rival platform to Kinect that's also being released this year, which could offer developers an alternative Kinect-control library to uas in their XB360 titles.

Interesting article about the PS1 controller and its backstories:
http://www.1up.com/news/playstation-1-design

I like this part the best:

"Despite that," Goto continued, "management's opinions didn't change at all. They showed Ohga the flat controller again later and said that this is what they wanted, but Ohga was about to throw the model right back at them. I was there and I didn't want him to break the model, so I stopped him, but looking back, I think that was Ohga's way of saying 'Hang in there, Goto' to me. Management was still pretty peeved, but they felt like they had no choice but to follow him."

EDIT:

Ignoring the headline, this Eurogamer article mentions a rival platform to Kinect that's also being released this year, which could offer developers an alternative Kinect-control library to uas in their XB360 titles.

Interesting ! Should see how well it works. Got YouTube videos ?

The TV interface prototype movies shows a game, and it's glitching pretty terribly. The GE Skeleton tracking looks good with lower latency, but robotic, and then you notice in the final scene that it's only tracking the legs at that time and not the arms, suggesting nothing like 1:1 mapping of the entire body. I've checked half a dozen movies and have yet to be impressed.

I see a PSEye/EyeToy game I want to play there: Fit your body into a human-shaped hole as the wall rushes towards you. ^_^

The TV UI is not too bad, but the finger icon seems a little complicated (What's with the lagging tail ?). It's somewhat slow (like Kinect's pointer) but more convenient and faster than looking for my remote somewhere in the living room. I would use this (or Kinect's) because IMHO, it's better than the thousand-button TV remote. ;-)

The demo also revealed another weakness we spoke about. It looks tiring to use for extended period. So the photo management app... I probably won't use it with the UI.

Not sure what the hardware spec is, the skeleton tracking seems a notch slower than the avatar in Kinect. I like the variety of gameplay they demoed though. Many different types: fighting with a bat, free form body tracking, sitting, football, etc. Some of them look somewhat frustrating to play. A good effort but I think it may need better packaging and more polishing.

Back