The Most Important Year ?

Reverend

Banned
I realize this can be quite diverse, given that we have quite a diverse group of folks age-wise, but if you were asked to list a year that you think is the most profound/important/whatever, what year would that be? Let's try not to include things like "19xx, the year I met my wife" :)

Not terribly important of course, but OTOH... 1977? You know, Elvis' death, Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, pocket calculators...

These single events made the following 3 years quite important. Its too subjective picking only one year as the most important.

1953- DNA discovered/published

1875- Telephone created

- Wright brothers fly
- teddy bears created. ;)

epicstruggle said:
These single events made the following 3 years quite important. Its too subjective picking only one year as the most important.

- Wright brothers fly

What about Santos Dummont? :LOL:

mito said:
epicstruggle said:

- Wright brothers fly

Was he a passanger? 8)

epic
ps i lived in brazil so i know of him, but i think it all depends on what facts/story you believe that will shape which person(s) should have that accomplisment.

epicstruggle said:
mito said:
epicstruggle said:

- Wright brothers fly

Was he a passanger? 8)

epic
ps i lived in brazil so i know of him, but i think it all depends on what facts/story you believe that will shape which person(s) should have that accomplisment.
I agre Epic. Santos Dumont was the first heavier than air autonomous and controlled flight. No aid of wind, catapults, etc and really took of the ground with many tesmtimonies including film, photos, newspaper, etc. Also the first to use flaps, first wristwatch, first to use petrol motor with sucess, first ballonists to really control a ballon flight and make a circunference around the eifel tower, and the list is long and goes on ;) :LOL:

Was dumont before the frenchman and his steam engine powered flight in the 1880's? Forget his name... but he only managed short flights because his engine was too weak...

pascal said:
I agre Epic. Santos Dumont was the first heavier than air autonomous and controlled flight. No aid of wind, catapults, etc and really took of the ground with many tesmtimonies including film, photos, newspaper, etc. Also the first to use flaps, first wristwatch, first to use petrol motor with sucess, first ballonists to really control a ballon flight and make a circunference around the eifel tower, and the list is long and goes on ;) :LOL:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_flying_machine
Various Claims to First Flight

* 1848, John Stringfellow, England
* 1884 -- Alexander Feodorovich Mozhaiski, Russian Empire
* 1890, October 9 -- Clement Ader, France
* 1902, May 15 -- Lyman Gilmore, United States
* 1903, November -- Karl Jatho, Germany
* 1903, December 17 -- Orville & Wilbur Wright, United States
* 1906, August -- Traian Vuia, Romania
* 1906, September 12 -- Jacob Ellehammer, Denmark
* 1906, November 12 -- Alberto Santos-Dumont, Brazil

You believe what you want, others will believe what they want. In the end we got the ability to fly from many dedicated inventors.

epic

Unknown Soldier said:
No one has mentioned 9/11

Because frankly 9/11 isn't really that significant in the global scheme of things. If you want to pick a turning point in relations between the US and the rest of the world, 1941 or 1962 would be better candidates.

EDIT: Or 1975.

I'd go with 1945, the formation of the UN and the hope for the new world against the backdrop of the cold war. It defined the latter half of the 20th century.

nutball said:
Unknown Soldier said:

Because frankly 9/11 isn't really that significant in the global scheme of things. If you want to pick a turning point in relations between the US and the rest of the world, 1941 or 1962 would be better candidates.

I agree with everything but the 1975 part.

epic

epicstruggle said:
nutball said:
Unknown Soldier said:

I agree with everything but the 1975 part.

epic

Yup, should be 1974!

epicstruggle said:
pascal said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_flying_machine
Various Claims to First Flight

* 1848, John Stringfellow, England
* 1884 -- Alexander Feodorovich Mozhaiski, Russian Empire
* 1890, October 9 -- Clement Ader, France
* 1902, May 15 -- Lyman Gilmore, United States
* 1903, November -- Karl Jatho, Germany
* 1903, December 17 -- Orville & Wilbur Wright, United States
* 1906, August -- Traian Vuia, Romania
* 1906, September 12 -- Jacob Ellehammer, Denmark
* 1906, November 12 -- Alberto Santos-Dumont, Brazil

You believe what you want, others will believe what they want. In the end we got the ability to fly from many dedicated inventors.

epic
I agree again that we got the ability from many dedicated man, and I firmlly believe the Santos Dumont contribution should not be undermined.

Let me quote a fellow citizen:
Dear Sirs,

I recognize the importance of Wright Brothers to the progress of aviation, to people of USA. But I'll never recognize any kind of primacy in flight from that Gentlemen, first because they were working in absolute "secret", until 1908, when they presented their ground device dependant flying machine in Europe for the first time. Considering the alleged date for the first flight event, I cannot understand why 5 years later they were still using a catapult. I can't understand also why they tried to convince everybody with a simple photograph of an airplane flying high (more than a meter) over the launch rail, when hundreds of people watched every experiment made by Alberto Santos-Dumont since the beginning of the century, including that first flight on December 23rd, 1906 before a huge crowd on Bagatelle Field, Paris, with full press and media coverage and movie recording. It was an Official Experiment, homologated by Aero Club de France members present at the meeting. The numbers: 200 meters ground roll, 80 to 90 cm height, 60 meters distance, 30 to 35 km/h speed. About October 23rd, 1906 flight, Mr. Gordon Bennet, American, owner of Herald newspaper, told: "The first Human mechanical flight", among several other European newspaper headlines. Then, on November 12th, 1906, he managed to perform two more flights: In the first he traveled 82 meters in seven seconds. In the second, he managed 220 meters in 21 seconds, flying well above the crowd (out of ground effect) and winning Archdeacon Prize, established for the first to fly over 100 m distance. This last flight could last longer, but it had to be interrupted when the crowd precipitated under the flying machine, the pilot deciding to abort the experiment. Note: All this flights was done with absolute no ground equipment, such as catapult or ground engine. This fact, registered in a session of Aeroclub de France, on December, 1910 as "the first Aviator of the universe to fly in an motor airplane", was remembered too, by the Archdeacon Prize itself, and a Monument on Bagatelle with the inscriptions:

"Ici le 12 novembre 1906, sous le controle de l'Aero-Club de France, Santos-Dumont a établi les premiers records d'áviation du monde. Durée 21s 1/5 Distance 220 m"

(Translation: Here, on November 12th, 1906, under control of Aero-Club de France, Santos-Dumont established the first Aviation Record of the world. Duration: 21 sec 1/5 Distance 220 meters).

Well, I'm only 42 years old, I didn't experience those events myself. But everybody can research on all available documents in libraries and newspapers. History (yes, real History!) tells us through dozens of European and a fistful of American newspapers what really happened. And what happened wasn't a whisper message to my neighbor in a silly game, but a strong shout that traveled over the ocean at that time, and is echoing until the present days...

By the truth.

Yours sincerely,
Capt. Roberto Rodrigues Mola
Sao Paulo - Brazil

P.S. Santos-Dumont donated all the money from all the prizes he won to his faithful mechanics, in order to reacquire their tools given to pawn. Santos-Dumont was an idealist, aviation passionate, and never requested a patent for his machines, giving for nothing all the plans for 14-Bis and Demoiselle construction to anybody who requested them.

As I said and other contributions like the flaps, the efficient use of petrol engines, etc..
And he did all that for fun, he abdicated all inventions rights and all money.

Back