The LittleBigPlanet pre-release Saga

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Explosions! :oops: Destructible objects! :oops: I wonder how that works? Are the objects actually damaged in realtime, or do you have to construct it in pieces? It looks to be realtime destruction. At the end, the giant sackboy doesn't have round bits embedded. There are little holes where I guess charges are placed. Perhaps when creating, you set up an explosion radius which creates sub-geometry? If it is true destruction though, one wonders at the possibilities. Can we have projecticles blowing up scenery?!

it's realtime destruction. it's realtime modeling like in creator mode
mine object can destruct some type of material , they use the same boolean substraction that in creator mode. mine explosion create a circular shape and substract this shape to the environement in realtime (they have recycled their realtime modeling system, it's crafty)

LBPmine.gif

I think there is a very important lesson for developers here ...

it's realtime destruction. it's realtime modeling like in creator mode
mine object can destruct some type of material , they use the same boolean substraction that in creator mode. mine explosion create a circular shape and substract this shape to the environement in realtime (they have recycled their realtime modeling system, it's crafty)
That's what I was thinking, but I wanted confirmation. The geometry tech here is actually pretty extraordinary, but it's just getting lost in amongst all the other LBP goodness!

This also suggests things like Worms gameplay. We know from the construction system that anything can be paried to anything, so stick an explosive on the end of a cylinder and have it launch from a tube...you've got a rocket. I wonder if this is the secret Alex Evans was talking about that greatly changes the game?

Where's that .gif from? I haven't seen that vid before.

mmmmm i was thinking they could do sack boy mechs to lol. Build sackzillas that face right instead of forwards build space for sackboy to get into (chest, head). jump on buttons, pull leavers for rocket fire etc. :p

That's what I was thinking, but I wanted confirmation. The geometry tech here is actually pretty extraordinary, but it's just getting lost in amongst all the other LBP goodness!

This also suggests things like Worms gameplay. We know from the construction system that anything can be paried to anything, so stick an explosive on the end of a cylinder and have it launch from a tube...you've got a rocket. I wonder if this is the secret Alex Evans was talking about that greatly changes the game?

Where's that .gif from? I haven't seen that vid before.

here
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=270109

they also simulate aquatic level and gameplay with jetpack

2i8hoxi.gif

Seriously, I don't want Disney DLC in it :( . It has its own fresh style and it should "LBPize" everything that comes in, like that Sackboy Snake. IF Disney characters come in, they will have to be LBPized too.
But still, this is something different, it shouldn't turn into the same old Disney characters we have seeing for ages now .

Well, they could readily do stuff like Mickey Mouse ears addons. I'm thinking things like Disney stickers and stuff, rather than perfect Disney models and characters, would fit in well. Also, it'd be clearly intended for the kiddies. I wouldn't be buying and sticking in Disney content into my levels, but I wouldn't begrudge the little-'uns indulging their IP loyalties if they want. I think the plus-side to this story is big names possibly already being on-board. Well, maybe that's not a plus-side. But it shows people are seeing the open-ended nature as a potential market. You aren't going to get Disney offering content for Halo or Uncharted. But anyone can provide content for LBP, and in doing so provide content for the rest of us to play with.

Actually, I may not mind "Finding Nemo" set pieces (realistically rendered corals, sea shells, weeds, turtle shell) or may be other Pixar stuff. The animated classics are acceptable. Not too hot about modern, hand-animated cartoons though (No little mermaid for me !).

If I remember correctly, the Disney idea (e.g., ToyStory) was posted on this forum before. At that time, people seem to like it. My kid will probably go for these levels, but he's more familiar with Blu's clues, Wonder Pets, and other Nickeloedean's IP these days.

Personally I prefer Jim Hensen's production or Studio Ghibli's collection. I kinda miss Muppet Show.

Even just in things like levels, I don't know that a user could create a Muppets level with Kermit and pals due to copyright. Without extra assets, just using the in-game content, familiar IPs will surely need to be licensed or created by the copyright holders. A Nickleodeon level will need to be produced by Nickleodeon, and not Joe Public. Whether they'll want to without charging, I don't know. It would be cheap and easy marketing on their part.

Yeah, that's why the DLCs are needed -- as additional toys for me to play, and as product placement for Disney, Jim Hensen, Nickelodean, etc. I think it works for all parties. The brand owners should be interested in exposing their brands to the gamers for a few minutes of intense actions (It's a matter of price and careful setup to prevent damaging their brands).

When we did something similar, a major brewer invited us all the way to Helsinki to discuss placement in a traditional game, let alone a video game.

EDIT: I think "video moments" will work for all these IPs in LBP, like how Forest Gump weaved historic scenes together into a story. I hope the DLC has more than just stickers to share. Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything about video playback in LBP. :(

The one slight downside to all this is overhype syndrome. LBP is a fabulous game and it's gonna do wonders for PS3, but I am getting tired of hearing Sony say how important it is to them! Ithink this is the only hyped game I've every heard of that I've actually wanted ;)

And yes, that level is pretty huge. Of course the important things for the limits are number and variety of objects. I'm sure one long block could go on ad infinitum with nothing more than a blip on the thermometer, but it won't be much fun! It's interesting to see all the empty space underneath the level and how that differs from the game experience. Like seeing a Hollywood set from the back, and it no longer feels like a village. I wonder how the camera can be capped to top and bottom limits so players never get to see past them where the creator doesn't want them to see? I have ideas for mecahnical timing objects running switches off screen affecting stuff on screen, and you wouldn't want these to appear in view!

Yeah, they talk too much about LBP before the real marketing blitz, me think. But still. that's better than not selling it at all (Look at PS Eye and earlier days of PSP).

At this point, it's probably better to let the hands-on folks say something:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12597742#post12597742

It doesn't have to be how great LBP is. As long as people are having fun with it, it is good enough. We already know LBP is special. We have not seen (enough) reports of people having fun with it yet. I think that is much more important as a message.

PS: Also a little anecdote I found amusing. Before the hands on play was available they did a presentation where 4 people came up on the stage and made characters and had a race.

They were 4 kids ranging from 8-14. The 8 year old was a girl and it took her a while to make a character. While everyone was waiting it was obvious the guys felt good about themselves and were going to win the upcoming race. When the girl was done making her cute pink Sackboy the audience voted with applause on who had the best character. The girl ended up winning of course, because she was a cute little girl trying to play this game. I'm sure the boys were annoyed, but still probably thought nothing of her.

So the race begins and the boys shoot off towards the goal only to hit the fire obstacles and respawn twice. The girl waits till they all fuck up a couple times and slowly makes her way to the end. She ends up making it in one try and the audience loved it. Was really cute and funny to see this little girl with her cute pink Sackboy win against these boys with manly roman armor.

In this case, the audience had a good time observing the kids, but it sure made me smile. I hope Sony doesn't go all "hard sell" with LBP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back