The LittleBigPlanet pre-release Saga

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I see of this game the more I appreciate that it may actually be a fine 2D platformer. I'd been lost in the creation aspect of it and had seen it as only a creation tool - and nothing is wrong with that - but in the past month I have been playing Super Mario World on my Wii and lamenting the disappearance of the 2D platformer. Only in the past week or so has the lightbulb shone bright (I have a pretty dim one in the first place) in regards to LBP. From my look at the gameplay videos it looks like it's going to be a really fun and challenging update of the 2D genre.

I'd also like to add that one of the Dev demos showed the death of a sackboy. Very sad.

I suspect it's a simple move to deal with content licensing and cultural issues.

When Sony gets comfy with user-generated content, they may want to relax it under specific conditions. From consumer point of view, it is an unnecessary hassle and a damper.

Their region locks are actually the least tight of all platforms, aren't they? This is a silly limitation, for sure, and a daft excuse. Just copy the data over to the servers!

This is just one more thing to add to the ever growing list of things that are different between regions. They have 8 different PSN stores (if I recall correctly) with each offering different content. EU gets very few E3 videos, and the US gets very few CG videos. Then they offer very different services in every region. And most of it would be highly desirable in very region, and not very difficult to offer in every region. You almost get the impression that they competing with each other, when they should be cooperating. They are effectively making less money because of this, and are limiting their own products appeal.

Ok I'm done ranting. I was hoping to see what members of this forum could create, seeing as some are talking it very serious. And of course I also want to share what I create. This region limit might make that more difficult. Perhaps we can still share content to every region through the friendslist. And in that case a separate in game LBP friendslist would be desirable.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/08/22/littlebigplanet-producer-says-game-will-have-global-server/

We're confused, Mr. Pete Smith, producer of upcoming platform-a-thon LittleBigPlanet. When we spoke to you during today's LittleBigPlanet breakdown session you said that "the game will have a global server." Now we hear that you told CVG something a little different. User generated content will be region locked? Normally we'd say "we're not sure who to believe" at this point, but seeing as both statements come from the same person, we're doubly confused.

:LOL:

Norwegian article about the comedian (Harald Eia) doing the Norwegian "helper/instructor" voice over, the guy is one of the more famous comedians in Norway. It also mentions that Stephen Fry is doing the English version. Fry is doing the voice as proper English teacher, while the Norwegian guy is doing a more jovial friend type of character.
The reason for this is that nobody speaks in the same proper style that Fry does, when they speak Norwegian. And the second reason is that Fry is a manic depressed, overweight comedian, while Eia is a manic depressed fit comedian.... :D

http://www1.vg.no/spill/artikkel.php?artid=534690

And it also mentions a launch date of 29th of october, I assume that would be the Norwegian date at least.

What would be REALLY awesome if they could get Hugh Laurie for the U.S. voice, and you could choose between Fry doing the Brittish, and Laurie doing the U.S. voice ... (as he does in House).

They should also have the option to unlock Laurie in retro Stupid-Rich-Englishman narration just to remind everyone where he came from. ;)

The final element I'll mention, which is my favourite personally, is that there's an in-game tool for taking photos - screenshots...........so you could arrange a family portrait in the game - full of Sack Boys and Girls - and frame it

Developers are listening :cool: !

LittleBigPlanet "copyright"

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=225520

"We have a very simple system that we call "copyright" in the game, which isn't copyright in the legal sense," he told Eurogamer.

"You can basically dictate the distribution rights on any object you create. If you put something in your level as a collectable item, people can collect it. People can control who comes into the level, both by how hard it is and by giving away keys, but you can also choose whether to copyright that object."

Once you've collected a copyright item, you'll be able to use it in your own game levels. However, you won't be share it with anyone else.

If an item isn't copyright, you'll be able to change it and share it as much as you like. "It's a really simple way to allow people to share or maintain ownership," explained Evans.

More stuff and link in the original article.

A short interview from Joystiq, but it clarifies a few points in regards to what happened to image importing, single player length, and create mode limitations during normal levels.

Along with a rather... interesting comment in regards to moderation. :p

We could brick someone's PS3. I mean, that's an extreme example, but we have the ability to do that. Mostly, though, your level will be removed and, if you repeatedly offend, you could get banned from the service.

I'm not exactly sure what he means by brick, as I would assume its not brick in the sense most people think of it (I assume), but it doesn't sound fun either way. :LOL:

Nice ! This is why I like hanging out in game fora. The people are creative and passionate about their little hobby (and work !). I sure hope we get a Metal Gear costume in the game.

Explosions! :oops: Destructible objects! :oops: I wonder how that works? Are the objects actually damaged in realtime, or do you have to construct it in pieces? It looks to be realtime destruction. At the end, the giant sackboy doesn't have round bits embedded. There are little holes where I guess charges are placed. Perhaps when creating, you set up an explosion radius which creates sub-geometry? If it is true destruction though, one wonders at the possibilities. Can we have projecticles blowing up scenery?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back