The hardware in Kinect 2.0 looks to be amazing where is the software to show it off?

I noticed when I grew a beard that Kinect stopped recognising me haha. I've had to reset the facial recognition 3 times already, but it still doesn't get it right.

I did the same during November, but looks like I had enough of a beard when I got the PS4, as to date it hasn't had any problems recognising me (except once in the dark).

I noticed when I grew a beard that Kinect stopped recognising me haha. I've had to reset the facial recognition 3 times already, but it still doesn't get it right.

Shave, you hippy! :LOL:

I think the 1080P Color camera is what will give the Kinect the biggest advantage for facial recognition.

More pixels don't always translate to better images.

When choosing between cameras with the same sized sensor but differing pixel counts, the one with larger pixels (and fewer total pixels) will have better high ISO and low light performance (assuming read noise and fixed pattern noise are similar, which may not be the case), while the camera with more pixels can deliver images with finer detail in good light. You will need to decide where that trade point is.

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/does.pixel.size.matter/

Absolutely not. Not a chance at that distance, resolution. Also, it can take a fair while before it recognises that I am in the room. Kinect tends to do that in a fraction of the time.

More pixels don't always translate to better images.

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/does.pixel.size.matter/

I know this already I been searching trying to find out what sensor is in the Kinect & PS4 Camera the last few days.

So far I have narrowed the PS4 Camera sensor down to being OV9714 it has a 1/4in image sensor ( if that's the sensor) haven't been able to match the kinect sensor with anything yet but from what I have seen the Kinect camera has really good image quality.

This!

The Depth camera is 512 x 424 & it's also used for the active IR mode. Even though it can see you in low light situations it's still better to have the lights on so that the HD RGB camera can see you.

First impressions of Kinect for Windows 2.0 pre-release

The resolution might not seem like a huge increase compared to Kinect1, but the depth map is of much higher res since they switched to tof instead of structured light.

Not all demos show, but the face almost seems recognizable even by looking directly at the depth buffer, and the active IR image should be even better for it.

Kinect-for-Windows-demo.jpg

AMD is making Gesture control & facial recognition available for people with compatible AMD APU's that will work with your normal webcams even in low light.

http://www.amd.com/us/consumer/software/Pages/gesture-control.aspx

face-login-360x200.png

gesture-control-360x200.png

AMD Gesture Control

Work and play touch free
Skip to the next track of your music or home movies, advance Microsoft PowerPoint slides and scroll to the next page on your e-reader… all by using one of four simple gestures with AMD Gesture Control.1 And all using your device’s existing or connected camera.

Plus, get optimized accuracy in low-light conditions that puts other systems to shame.2

AMD Gesture Control works with many of your favorite applications – like Adobe Acrobat, Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Gallery and many more. Best of all, you can download the software completely free of charge – available only for1 select laptops, tablets and hybrids. See our list of eligible APU models or download our software compatibility tool below to see if your system qualifies.

Want to get AMD Gesture Control on your AMD A-Series processor-based PC? Follow these three easy steps to download the free software from our partner.

Get started now

1. AMD Gesture Control is designed to enable gesture recognition as a tool for controlling certain applications on your PC. Only available on select AMD A-Series APU-based tablets and notebooks. Requires a web camera, and will only operate on PCs running Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system. Supported Windows desktop apps include: Windows Media Player, Windows Photo Viewer, Microsoft PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat Reader. Supported Windows Store apps include: Microsoft Photos, Microsoft Music, Microsoft Reader and Kindle. Performance may be degraded in low lighting or intensely-focused lighting environments.

2. Testing performed by AMD performance labs measuring the accuracy in eyeSight’s Gesture Recognition Technology (optimized for and offered by AMD with certain AMD APUs under the name “AMD Gesture Control”) with and without the GPU-accelerated low light filters for a series of mouse control commands performed at a distance of 12 inches from the web camera on the test PC in a low light (~30 lux) environment. A notebook PC with upcoming AMD A10-5750M APU codenamed “Richland” with AMD Radeon™ HD 8650G, 4GB of DDR3-1600 (dual channel) RAM, Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit) Build 9200, video driver 12.100.0.0 - 12/06/2012 without the low light filters achieved 17% accuracy on average compared to an average of 95% accuracy with the low light filters.

A notebook PC with Intel Core i5-3210 with Intel HD 4000 graphics, 4GB of DDR3-1333 (dual channel) RAM, Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit) Build 9200, video driver 9.17.10.2875 - 10/17/2012 had 0% accuracy (gesture recognition did not work at all) without the low light filter technology. Furthermore, the low light filters would not run on Intel processors at the time of the test 1/4/2013. RIN-6 3. AMD Face Login is designed as a convenient tool to help you log into Windows and many popular websites quickly. It should not be used to protect your computer and personal information from unwanted access. Only available on select AMD A-Series APU-based tablets and notebooks. Requires a webcam, and will only operate on PCs running Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system and Internet Explorer version 9 or 10. Internet connection is required for website login and use of other online features.

AMD Face Login

Save time and frustration

AMD makes it easy to experience the new standard in accessing your PC. Don’t worry about remembering lengthy usernames and passwords. On select AMD A-Series processor-based systems, you can simplify the way you log on to your favorite sites with the facial recognition capabilities of AMD Face Login.1

If you are worried about others bypassing this feature – let us help to ease your mind. You can set the accuracy level to “high” so that you have to blink to log in – helping to assure that you are the only one accessing your sites.

And that’s not all. You can also use the face-out feature, which can either automatically put your PC to sleep or lock your PC screen when you leave your computer.

Best of all, you can download the software completely free of charge for select laptops, tablets and hybrids. See our list of eligible APU models or download our software compatibility tool using the steps below to see if your system qualifies.

Want to get AMD Face Login on your AMD A-Series processor-based PC? Follow these three easy steps to download the free software from our partner.

Download our easy-to-use tool to confirm that your system can run AMD Face Login
Download and install the software from our partner using the link in the below tool

Enjoy interacting with your system like never before!

Get started now

1. AMD Face Login is designed as a convenient tool to help you log into Windows and many popular websites quickly. It should not be used to protect your computer and personal information from unwanted access. Only available on select AMD A-Series APU-based tablets and notebooks. Requires a webcam, and will only operate on PCs running Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system and Internet Explorer version 9 or 10. Internet connection is required for website login and use of other online features.

See what I mean by Microsoft not really showing what the hardware that went into Kinect 2.0 is enabling beyond the fact that they have more processing power in the Xbox One now compared to Xbox 360.

The resolution might not seem like a huge increase compared to Kinect1, but the depth map is of much higher res since they switched to tof instead of structured light.

Not all demos show, but the face almost seems recognizable even by looking directly at the depth buffer, and the active IR image should be even better for it.

Kinect-for-Windows-demo.jpg

I'm not saying that the IR camera isn't good enough to do facial recognition I just think that the HD 1080P camera is the 1st line of defense compared to the 512 x 424 IR mode when they are doing the facial recognition with the IR camera stepping in to help.

See what I mean by Microsoft not really showing what the hardware that went into Kinect 2.0 is enabling beyond the fact that they have more processing power in the Xbox One now compared to Xbox 360.Performance may be degraded in low lighting or intensely-focused lighting environments.

I skimmed what you posted but it's all talk of pc, so presumably the webcam is just a foot or so from the users face which implies the users face taking up most of the fov. Have they shown all that working from 10 feet away when the users face and gestures occupy single digit percentage of what the sensor has captured? Also right in the text you quoted is:

Performance may be degraded in low lighting or intensely-focused lighting environments.

Seems like limited usefulness in the real world no?

I skimmed what you posted but it's all talk of pc, so presumably the webcam is just a foot or so from the users face which implies the users face taking up most of the fov. Have they shown all that working from 10 feet away when the users face and gestures occupy single digit percentage of what the sensor has captured? Also right in the text you quoted is:

Seems like limited usefulness in the real world no?

He showed it being used at long range & close range.

Did you ignore what was being said about the low light filter?

"Plus, get optimized accuracy in low-light conditions that puts other systems to shame"

AMD is making Gesture control & facial recognition available for people with compatible AMD APU's that will work with your normal webcams even in low light.

See what I mean by Microsoft not really showing what the hardware that went into Kinect 2.0 is enabling beyond the fact that they have more processing power in the Xbox One now compared to Xbox 360.
Now imagine the demo guy was black. Would the hand tracking really work against his dark suit? I also doubt their claims about it working in low light. If they have a high enough framerate+resolution sensor then it can as they can solve noise issues (but they're just using whatever webcam the user has), but every claim of low light performance in a camera device has been bunk for the past ten years IMO. 50% accuracy at low light may be good in computing terms but it's lousy for end users and would generally be considered broken. Their example is 12" from the webcam giving 95% accuracy which isn't comparable to a console experience.

If someone wants to run the PC apps and report on how well they do, and prove that camera vision can achieve the claims in a wide variety of test cases, then I'll be happy to be proven wrong. Until then, AMD will be showing the best of their offering and the real results will be somewhat less. How much less, and whether it really can go toe-to-toe with K2 in terms of accuracy and speed, is the key question.

Now imagine the demo guy was black. Would the hand tracking really work against his dark suit? I also doubt their claims about it working in low light. If they have a high enough framerate+resolution sensor then it can as they can solve noise issues (but they're just using whatever webcam the user has), but every claim of low light performance in a camera device has been bunk for the past ten years IMO. 50% accuracy at low light may be good in computing terms but it's lousy for end users and would generally be considered broken. Their example is 12" from the webcam giving 95% accuracy which isn't comparable to a console experience.

If someone wants to run the PC apps and report on how well they do, and prove that camera vision can achieve the claims in a wide variety of test cases, then I'll be happy to be proven wrong. Until then, AMD will be showing the best of their offering and the real results will be somewhat less. How much less, and whether it really can go toe-to-toe with K2 in terms of accuracy and speed, is the key question.

I'm black & I made a demo of the PlayStation Eye tracking my hands in the dark only using the light from my laptop screen.

If you're using something like this you're going to be in front of a TV or Monitor the key would be to set the camera in a mode where it would only detect the light reflecting off your skin from the TV or other light source.

On a side note: The guy talked about also using 2 cameras which would be like the PS4 Camera so if this become the norm & laptops & tablets start shipping with stereo cameras the hardware & software would soon go beyond Kinect 2.0 which is already limited to 512 x 424 30FPS depth sensing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch the video.

I did, that video has lots of light compared to the situations that kinect has to work in where some people game with very little light, or back light, or lots of other situations. They setup a very controlled single situation and put it on video, big deal. Also his "gesture" is always the same, there's no way to know if it's detecting what his fingers are actually doing or if it's just detecting some kind of change in the hand area and taking that as a click. Heck even the depth demonstation was inaccurate, it was moving in Space Harrier type steps like they were approximating things just by his hand size. They didn't even show if it can track multiple people and gestures. I don't see how this video demonstrates this as being even remotely a challenge to what kinect can do. What they showed seems more applicable to tablets or phone use, not use in game rooms.

I don't see how this video demonstrates this as being even remotely a challenge to what kinect can do.
It doesn't, and I never said it did. What's shown isn't at all comparable IMO and I doubt it will be. However, I only said, "Watch the vid," because you assumed it's working at laptop-type distances. If you watch the vid, you wouldn't say that - it's working with its moderate tracking at full TV distance with at least enough accuracy to get some finger-pressing UI interaction.

It doesn't, and I never said it did. What's shown isn't at all comparable IMO and I doubt it will be. However, I only said, "Watch the vid," because you assumed it's working at laptop-type distances. If you watch the vid, you wouldn't say that - it's working with its moderate tracking at full TV distance with at least enough accuracy to get some finger-pressing UI interaction.

Ok, I just didn't consider what they showed to be working from a tv distance. Given the thread title I was expecting to see kinect type functionality in more challenging environments with multiple people from a tv distance and didn't, and hence was left confused. What they are showing I think other people have offered in the past, maybe even some Samsung tv's have had that built in I believe. It's much more limited in scope, but ultimately has little to do with what kinect can do.

Back