The hardware in Kinect 2.0 looks to be amazing where is the software to show it off?

onQ

Veteran
Just one look at the chips & sensors inside of the new Kinect & it's easy to see that it's a really advanced piece of hardware but I haven't seen much that really show it off.

It seems like Sony is making a better case for the PlayStation 4 camera with PlayRoom/Twitch than Microsoft is with Kinect 2.0 as a whole.

Inside the Xbox One Kinect

Just look at that hardware something amazing has to come from this! I for one can't wait to see what devs will come up with in the long run.

Just one look at the chips & sensors inside of the new Kinect & it's easy to see that it's a really advanced piece of hardware but I haven't seen much that really show it off.

It seems like Sony is making a better case for the PlayStation 4 camera with PlayRoom/Twitch than Microsoft is with Kinect 2.0 as a whole.

Inside the Xbox One Kinect

Just look at that hardware something amazing has to come from this! I for one can't wait to see what devs will come up with in the long run.

Xbox Fitness is probably the best current use of the hardware.

Kinect sports rivals was actually interesting, worked better than I thought.

Did you have the original? If so how would you compare the two in terms of what the Kinect 2's improvements add to the experience.

turning on the device, in-game switching, STB control, TV control, app control... It gets to the point where its not WHizbang... you just expect it to be there and expect it to work. When technology becomes predictable, seamless and unobtrusive to the point that you forget that its there, is when its actually magical.

I want them to create apps to manage nest thermostats and home security and lighting systems. Controlable by voice, gesture, controller, and smartglass app. Its not there yet in any use case, but its the first time voice control and facial recognition have value in the home imho.

Did the Insanity workout on XB1 the other day. It was pretty awesome. I couldn't cheat and it really made me focus on form then pace (how it should be). The scoring works like Guitar hero/Rock band in that you get multiplier bonuses for doing things properly.

More workouts like that and XB1 should head and shoulders be the best way to in home workout videos.

I was surprised how well it read muscle strain during the exercises.

As for games, I like using it BF4 and Ryse for voice commands. Haven't tried head tilting in Forza yet.

Did you have the original? If so how would you compare the two in terms of what the Kinect 2's improvements add to the experience.

Only the demo of the wave raceout now, right.

As for the OS features, the best thing I have seen in the UI is the bing integrated search that works with all the video services.

Did the Insanity workout on XB1 the other day. It was pretty awesome. I couldn't cheat and it really made me focus on form then pace (how it should be). The scoring works like Guitar hero/Rock band in that you get multiplier bonuses for doing things properly.

More workouts like that and XB1 should head and shoulders be the best way to in home workout videos.

As for games, I like using it BF4 and Ryse for voice commands. Haven't tried head tilting in Forza yet.

My wife does Zumba for it and it really works and measures her activity and form.

Bing integrated search using Kinect already works across video services on 360. I use it quite often. So it's not totally unique to XB1. Though it might be even better on XB1.

Tommy McClain

Xbox Fitness is probably the best current use of the hardware.

The Fitness apps does show that Kinect 2.0 is really good at analyzing/monitoring your movements.

I guess people will appreciate it more when it's used in a new Dance Central game for Xbox One.

Darn it. Now there is another tempting game/app pushing me to get an X1 sooner rather than later---I never did complete the full 60 day workout (stopped around the 1st week of the 2ne half of Insanity). Trying to hold out on picking up ANY next gen system until September 2014.

Darn it. Now there is another tempting game/app pushing me to get an X1 sooner rather than later---I never did complete the full 60 day workout (stopped around the 1st week of the 2ne half of Insanity). Trying to hold out on picking up ANY next gen system until September 2014.

I did it twice in a row to get ready for my wedding. Now I can't find the motivation to work out :(

What's cool is that you can compare your scores against others. The competitive piece really makes a difference. I hope they put T25 on there so I can start something new. I'm starting to slip .

Hopefully the free fitness apps will still available by the time I plan to jump in near the last quarter of next year. How much will they be charging for it once the free period is done?

The head tracking and voice commands in Battlefield are pretty cool. The general use of Kinect at the OS level is very nice. Then you have Kinect Sports Rivals demo and Xbox Fitness. They should have had some full games ready for launch, but Kinect is being used quite a bit.

I believe the fighter within showcases kinect
j/k yes MS should be doing a better job at promoting kinect, after all its the point of difference
MS show us the games, the onus is on you

I believe the most important question is whether Kinect 2 will pass the test of time. Will people continue to use it as much as they do now in a few months? Will people give up on its function as a video game companion? How capable it is may be irrelevant if the initial excitement goes away and people use less to the point that it doesnt matter much.. So far its most common use and its biggest appeal is related to voice commands outside of gaming. And partly that appeal comes from the fact that the dashboard menus are more complicated to navigate. It might turn out as an awesome piece of hardware that people wont care to use much even if better software to support it does come out. It could be a solution to a non-problem

I'm kind of disappointed that Forza 5 doesn't have Kinect driving like Forza 4. It would have been cool to have a more casual mode so I could play Kinect split screen with my girlfriend.

I believe the most important question is whether Kinect 2 will pass the test of time. Will people continue to use it as much as they do now in a few months? Will people give up on its function as a video game companion? How capable it is may be irrelevant if the initial excitement goes away and people use less to the point that it doesnt matter much.. So far its most common use and its biggest appeal is related to voice commands outside of gaming. And partly that appeal comes from the fact that the dashboard menus are more complicated to navigate. It might turn out as an awesome piece of hardware that people wont care to use much even if better software to support it does come out. It could be a solution to a non-problem

The dashboard menus are really easy to navigate. If anything it's an improvement on the 360. Voice control just makes it dead simple.

Back