The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who thinks the late winter/early spring release is typical marketing? i.e. the game wasn't going to be ready for Holiday 2009, but calling for an "early Spring" date keeps it in mind and marketable. Winter/Spring/Summer or slow so the 9 month "slide" is forgivable.

Wouldn't be the first time.

No, but the thing is I really do think it was supposed to be ready for last Christmas, and we know that GT5 was one of the first 3D demoes out there. I think they've looked at this long and hard, and realised that the crowd that goes for GT5 is also the crowd that buys a new TV to enjoy its experience, just as a lot of them buy wheels, seats, etc. Of course I may be speaking for myself - I know I bought my first widescreen TV in honor of GT3's support for it (which was fantastic, it has to be said - great improvement for a driving game back then), and if it's anywhere near good, it'll definitely be a big factor in getting a 3D TV somewhere first half of 2011.

EDIT: Heh, in a sense I guess that's already true - Playstation 3 with 3D and Arc support is in some ways a bigger change than PS2 to PS3 ever was.

Since I'd like to be able to play for hours without getting a migraine, and I have a natural tendency to move my head around while I play games in first person, head tracking will work better for me. And if you check out head tracking demos from Johnny Chung Lee or Torbin Sko, you'll see you get the effects of 3D on a 2D screen, without having to fool and wreck your brain.

Can head tracking/perspective viewing give you the depth perception ? (I have no idea, but I would think not)

What happens if you combine both. That's what I want to find out.

Can head tracking/perspective viewing give you the depth perception ? (I have no idea, but I would think not)

What happens if you combine both. That's what I want to find out.

Skip to 2:30

I don't know what would happen if you combined that with a 3d tv ... maybe your head would explode? :runaway:

No, but the thing is I really do think it was supposed to be ready for last Christmas,.
Maybe it was the plan a few years back, but Amirox almost one year old leak indicated a 2010 spring release and as far as we know it may still be released in Japan in spring, but not in March.
Also I think releasing GT5 within a couple of months of releasing GT PSP would have been an unmanagable task for the prefectionists at PD.

...we know that GT5 was one of the first 3D demoes out there. I think they've looked at this long and hard, and realised that the crowd that goes for GT5 is also the crowd that buys a new TV to enjoy its experience, just as a lot of them buy wheels, seats, etc.

My sentiment as well, but you expressed it much better.

Skip to 2:30

I don't know what would happen if you combined that with a 3d tv ... maybe your head would explode? :runaway:

The sticks example is an optical illusion because of the 3D grid background and the carefully positioned discs and sticks.

In the stadium photo (or any scenery), you won't be able to perceive the depth without a 3D TV.

Now if the scene is a 3D stadium model, head tracking will provide an immersive experience because the perspective changes as if you are inside the stadium. However say if the system paints the trajectory path of a grenade into the stadium, you won't be able to judge the distance of the grenade properly. What you see is still a 2D picture/projection of the stadium (from varying perspectives). You will most likely need to move your head between 2 positions several times to perceive/visualize the landing point in 3D... exactly like what Johnny Lee is doing continuously in this video to compensate for the lack of real depth perception.

With a 3D TV, you can perceive the trajectory as it arcs into the stadium. Without moving your head, you can easily internalize the depth info. I think this is the key difference.

Yep, you are not going to be moving your head around like that constantly and as soon as you stop the 3d effect will be gone. Its still pretty cool though and in combination with S3D will be awesome.

Head tracking in GT5 cockpit will improve the illusion of being in the car. I think they are going to do the post processing based on your view (e.g., tune the focus).

3D will improve the illusion of being there on the track (since you can't walk out of the car). Other than the GT5 3D tech demo, they didn't announce anything though.

Yes, it helps to boost the image and value of Arc. :) The marketing dollars of GT5 can also help to reach more people. That's my guess anyway.
I'd go along with that. Piggybacking the GT profile for 3D and motion makes a lot of sense.

patsu said:
3D will improve the illusion of being there on the track (since you can't walk out of the car). Other than the GT5 3D tech demo, they didn't announce anything though.

On second thought, I take it back. 3D will give you an immersive feel both in-car and on-track. One of the most noticeable Avatar 3D effects is in the control room of the vessels and bases. It gives the place a "volumetric" look. So the same effect should be noticeable in the car as well -- except that the view is locked to a fixed perspective compared to head tracking.

You're right. It's more important to release the game as planned. I am wondering about the impact of 3D on their techniques though (e.g., will it break 2D backdrop ? Will it cause motion sickness ?)

With head tracking alone, they should be able to launch together with Arc.

3D + head tracking ? I need to see. Arwin seems more convinced than me !

You're right. It's more important to release the game as planned. I am wondering about the impact of 3D on their techniques though (e.g., will it break 2D backdrop ? Will it cause motion sickness ?)

With head tracking alone, they should be able to launch together with Arc. 3D + head tracking ? I need to see. Arwin seems more convinced than me !

Travel sickness pills at the ready!

If this game turns out to have head tracking and 3D support but still the same old GT issues such as AI, collision detection and tyre marks, i'm going to set fire to my PS3 and never buy anything made by Sony ever again :D

If this game turns out to have head tracking and 3D support but still the same old GT issues such as AI, collision detection and tyre marks, i'm going to set fire to my PS3 and never buy anything made by Sony ever again :D

I suggest selling it on Ebay instead...at least you'll get a return :D

What do tyre marks do ?

Might as well burn the entire home theater and make the news.

Imo it helps a lot when you are not using Driving lines. The second advantage obviously, is that it looks nice.

For me they would be another potential braking point. "oh i broke here last time, i`ll try my luck and brake a bit later"....etc etc

Imo it helps a lot when you are not using Driving lines. The second advantage obviously, is that it looks nice.
I never use the driving line, but I do keep an eye on my brake / shift indicator and that's what I use as a measure for when to brake for each turn, similarly to what Antan was explaining above with the tire marks.

Apparently the addition of Indy cars is no more!! Misinformation published in OPM I think. What do you all think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back