The G92 Architecture Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the back of my head, my thinking is the G92 is not the 1TFLOP monster that we will see. I dont think we'll see it til spring time to be honest, I mean come on, ATI is just now getting ready to bring to the table that should compete with NVs highend stuff. Why waste time now when you can be in an even better with even more inventory come spring time.

In the back of my head, my thinking is the G92 is not the 1TFLOP monster that we will see. I dont think we'll see it til spring time to be honest, I mean come on, ATI is just now getting ready to bring to the table that should compete with NVs highend stuff. Why waste time now when you can be in an even better with even more inventory come spring time.

Yes, I'm pretty sure NV wants to wait around let ATi catch up.

If NV has such a chip ready and can make margins and money from it, they will release it, regardless of what ATI does.

Maybe its not that, but rather NV isn't all that worried about the refreshes from ATI and know they can wait as they'll still have the performance crown.

Oh, NV is worried about what AMD is doing. They had a recent roadmap change at the beginning of October which changed some 'interesting' stuff compared to the roadmap of early September. It was obvious they didn't expect RV670 to be released that soon (expected it for Q1 08) and that they thought that RV670 was gonna be a less than what it is now. So they 'upgraded' the GT specs. To me that shows that they are worried. ;)

May both IHVs be worried about what the competitor works on at all times. At least that way we all get a way better bang for each buck.

2.51 GHz for 8 TCPs is a problem in my eyes...

And why?
We are talking about a 65nm GPU, which already reaches 1.5GHz with 1.05V, where 8800Ultra needed ~1.35V.

- 2MCs - 8 ROPs -2 L2 caches
I doubt that it will be only 256Bit, because the 384Bit MC is a huge advantage over ATi, which are only possible to do 256Bit or 512Bit.

And I do not think DP will need much transistors, if we see on RV670.

G92 is 64x4 chip.
And how you came to this conclusion?

8C(64TMUs)@600MHz+ @ 256Bit is imo absolutely unbalanced and to use expensive GDDR4 to just reach the 100GB/s would be also insanse, if you have the possibility to use 320/384Bit, which I heard are not real more expensive than 256Bit.

But with all the chaos surrounding it i wouldn't be surprised if they've slipped some other chip under the radar.
AFAIK there is nothing bigger than G92 out there...

And how you came to this conclusion?
I have my sources :)

8C(64TMUs)@600MHz+ @ 256Bit is imo absolutely unbalanced and to use expensive GDDR4 to just reach the 100GB/s would be also insanse, if you have the possibility to use 320/384Bit, which I heard are not real more expensive than 256Bit.
I find that strange too but... it does look like this for now.

AFAIK there is nothing bigger than G92 out there...
Then we're screwed :( No new hi-end in 2007 :( And possibly no new hi-end till G100...

Oh, NV is worried about what AMD is doing. They had a recent roadmap change at the beginning of October which changed some 'interesting' stuff compared to the roadmap of early September. It was obvious they didn't expect RV670 to be released that soon (expected it for Q1 08) and that they thought that RV670 was gonna be a less than what it is now. So they 'upgraded' the GT specs. To me that shows that they are worried. ;)

Why are they worried? Look at the market cap/market share and all kinds of lead nVIDIA is having right now on the GPU front. They are not sitting idle, but their schedule is probably much more relaxed then it use to be because of the lack of competition. (GPU tapeouts and such are still on schedule unless other factors (technical) are being involved)

RV670 looks to be stronger and earlier than they have previously thought but all nVIDIA has to do is counter because they have had all the time in the world thanks to how R600 turned out.

8800GTs are all over the place right now (with another imminent hard launch of course), it clearly backs up my idea that nVIDIA has been on the move for sometime. All AMD has done is speed things up a little in nVIDIA and thats what all of us wants to see. A death match for the performance crown. :devilish:

8800GTX is getting close to being the king of the hill for nearly over the one year mark. ;) Which is outrageous to be honest at this age and time.

OT - just how are G84 ALUs differ from G80? maybe there could be a seperate discussion on this matter.

AnarchX said:
And why?
We are talking about a 65nm GPU, which already reaches 1.5GHz with 1.05V, where 8800Ultra needed ~1.35V.
Yes, I see it clearly now, a 1.5GHz to 2.5GHz jump makes perfect sense...

CJ said:
So they 'upgraded' the GT specs. To me that shows that they are worried.
If the yields on the GT are so good that they were able to upgrade it and move the launch forward, I don't see what all they have to be concerned about...

OT - just how are G84 ALUs differ from G80? maybe there could be a seperate discussion on this matter.

I just quickly combed through the B3D G84 review again, yet can't see anything that suggest changes in that department.

If NV has such a chip ready and can make margins and money from it, they will release it, regardless of what ATI does.

I don't think so. While I'm very sure that they have that (and much more actually), they'll release just as much as needed to keep the crown. Anything else wouldn't make sense unless we have some games which will require more oomph.

Remember, nV had MUCH spare time to tinker around with stuff while ATI struggled through last 2-3 gens.

oh actually the change was a subsitute for another chip which we will see later on ;)

If the yields on the GT are so good that they were able to upgrade it and move the launch forward, I don't see what all they have to be concerned about...

If yields really were that good they'd come out with a full ASIC configuration to blow the competition out of the water before they even got the chance to launch it just like they did with G80... but instead they opted for the 'saver' 112 SPs. ;)

oh actually the change was a subsitute for another chip which we will see later on ;)

If you're talking about G96 which replaced G94 on the roadmap and is scheduled for March/April 2008, it's not what I was talking about....

If yields really were that good they'd come out with a full ASIC configuration to blow the competition out of the water before they even got the chance to launch it just like they did with G80... but instead they opted for the 'saver' 112 SPs. ;)
That is what I think it might be possible :cool:

This time, I think NV behave a bit too play safe for any bet they used to do...

NV always like to blow ATi and other away by launching their products and make it look better than the compatitors. However, they (NV) might have got something hiden under water as anyone suggested or might be not.

Edit: Opp, wrong spelling agian...

Then we're screwed :( No new hi-end in 2007 :( And possibly no new hi-end till G100...

GX2 and Gemini, baby. Welcome to the future that the IHVs have been leading us towards since late '04 (at the latest. . .'02 is probably more accurate).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back