The Annual Is this the worst E3 Ever? [2017 Edition]

The reaction I have seen to the Xbox One X price has fallen into 3 categories.

1: Those who scoff at the price and have already discounted it
2: Those who scoff at the price and state, "well, I guess I'm not the target audience"
3: Those who state it is a fine value for the hardware included, but they have no intention of buying it

This isn't just us here. It's all over the forums I frequent from reddit to Arstechnica. Damn near every video I have seen falls into those categories as well.

I guess I'm the 4th. Wanted it to be cheaper, but understand the reason for the price and will wait for a price drop or a reasonable bundle, but do feel I am the target audience. Also, I don't have a 4K HDR TV/monitor yet so that's a priority first despite knowing that it will make my Xbox gen of families look better.

I've seen a lot of the your 1-3 reactions though.

Except E3 still drives more attention than just about anything else. Outside of revealing a new console, most of events can't drive as much attention as e3. Is there any plans for B3D mods to create 8 stickies for expos happening later in the year?
I think the stickies represent much of the vestigial aura around E3 of old. They weren't really needed, didn't attract as much attention as former conference threads, and could have just been left to live and die without extra support. Just like every other conference. In essence, E3's importance is being propped up by people still treating it as important. Any and every meaningful announcement and presentation is going to get its coverage. TGS and GDC will get their coverage. If anyone makes massive announcements at either, we'll talk about it.

So yeah, E3 drives more attention than anywhere else, and then we say, "what was the point of that?" afterwards when it's such a let-down and we learn once again it's just a generic conference with nothing particular to say for itself.

I agree, we likely could have done without the stickies but they served well enough as reminders for the week leading up to E3 of what's coming up. They'll be unstuck after the weekend and likely fall into oblivion thereafter.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but each year I'm finding all major conferences and expos as being less and less worthy of even being held. That isn't restricted to Gaming at all, it's all the tech areas including mobile and Apple too.

There's virtually nothing exciting left. There are no surprises. Tech has advanced as such an exhaustive pace, it's exhausted, leaving us with more of the same in slightly nicer cases. Plus the sheer volume of stuff. Soooooo many games/TV programmes/movies/gadgets, etc. Like a little kid stuffing its face at a party until it's sick, a new cake doesn't excite any more as they've had their fill, and society hasn't moderated at all with invention and creativity such that we created ourselves into a corner. Plus there's non-stop information from Twitter and YouTube and everything, there's nothing to wait for.

Effectively we've taken the idea of the birthday party and started giving presents all the time, telling people what those presents are going to be before they get them, and then wonder why no-one finds birthday's exciting any more. Read up how poor country people used to get thrilled by any small spectacle because it was new and rare, and you appreciate how so much magic has been lost from living thanks to structuring society around production and consumption.

The next 50 years are possibly going to be very odd. Think of the current teenager mindlessly overdosing on YouTube and Instagram with limitless ennui, and imagine what society can evolve from that.

@ultragpu were you watching the E3 conferences streamed at 4K in HDR on a 4K HDR set? If not, then that explains your lack of enthusiasm for some games and reveals. You weren't able to see the full benefits.
Unfortunately not, all those shows were either playing at 4 am or during my work so was unable to utilize my Z9D :(. But doesn't only LG or Samsung's 4k TV support YT HDR currently? I think Sony TVs are still waiting on a patch or something. Tho I agree, I can certainly imagine Forza 7 or AssCreed Origins looking gloriously with HDR, but same goes for every other HDR compatible games too.

Unfortunately not, all those shows were either playing at 4 am or during my work so was unable to utilize my Z9D :(. But doesn't only LG or Samsung's 4k TV support YT HDR currently? I think Sony TVs are still waiting on a patch or something. Tho I agree, I can certainly imagine Forza 7 or AssCreed Origins looking gloriously with HDR, but same goes for every other HDR compatible games too.

I got to watch it 4K HDR and I was impressed. I think MS structured the conference wrong. I think it would of had more impact if Metro, AC and Anthem had finished the show. They front loaded the conference with Forza, Metro and AC threw a bunch of stuff in the middle and ended with Anthem.

They probably made it a little too long with too many games. Games like Last Night could easily be forgotten in a sea of other titles.

There's virtually nothing exciting left. There are no surprises.
There is virtual reality.
Pun intended.

But I do mean it. The moment someone gives you small wireless glasses with a resolution that challenges your visual acuity (two ~5k*5k screens, 120º FOV I guess?) running the same image quality we see in e.g. Uncharted 4 or Horizon Zero Dawn, you'll be a kid again.

Back