Technical Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the coherent link is seperate from the DDR3, but seriously, how many of your assets are going to fit into the CPU caches, and how many do you even want in there?, a cache miss for the CPU is not good, you wouldnt just willy nilly put your GPU assets into the CPU cache so you could use the coherent bus. This is the same reason why we wouldn't count the extra 20GB/s that the coherent bus in the PS4 gives us.

It think Gubbi already gave definitive examples in the last two pages of what types of workloads completely avoid the ddr3. We can start there. I look forward to hearing more from developers on exactly what the data fetch process wrt to the esram can be. I wouldn't think it would be too different from how they managed the edram on 360 - with the added benefit of it being both a cache and scratch pad.

It think Gubbi already gave definitive examples in the last two pages of what types of workloads completely avoid the ddr3. We can start there. I look forward to hearing more from developers on exactly what the data fetch process wrt to the esram can be. I wouldn't think it would be too different from how they managed the edram on 360 - with the added benefit of it being both a cache and scratch pad.

He only avoided having to discreeting read something into the eSRAM, his examples went like this.

DDR3 -> GPU.
GPU -> eSRAM.

It stilled used the DDR3 bandwidth just not purely for copying into the eSRAM.

Given the specs, is there anything that might be better on Xbox One than PS4?

Is there any task that is more suited to low latency eSRAM rather than the high bandwidth of GDDR5?

Given the specs, is there anything that might be better on Xbox One than PS4?

Is there any task that is more suited to low latency eSRAM rather than the high bandwidth of GDDR5?

Probably almost any poorly optimized or memory bound compute job where the source data is in the low latency memory.

Anytime you can't cover the cache misses with in flight wavefronts, the lower latency will be a win.

In my all be it limited experience with GPU compute, almost everything short of trivial (n in to 1 out) compute is memory bound not computation bound.

He only avoided having to discreeting read something into the eSRAM, his examples went like this.

DDR3 -> GPU.
GPU -> eSRAM.

It stilled used the DDR3 bandwidth just not purely for copying into the eSRAM.

You'd use the exact same amount of bandwidth on PS4.

You'd read material textures and write your light prepass or G-buffer.

The only reason to do distinct copies into ESRAM would be if it was a win (reuse ends up saving DDR3 bandwidth).

Cheers

I think video game renderers are far too complex for us at this point to speculate about. Also, I'm quite sure that different game genres have very different resource utilization patterns, and then there are the differences between a fully deferred renderer, a forward renderer, a light pre-pass renderer, or a renderer with multiple components like Crysis 3, or any renderer relying on fully unique virtual texturing.

So the short answers are:
- XB1 and PS4 memory bus and pool requirements will be highly different among the various titles
- XB1 will need more developer attention to fully utilize the memory subsystem

However, PS2 is a good example of such a multilevel memory system (32MB RAMBUS RAM and 4MB EDRAM) and developers have managed to master it quite well.
And also, this past generation we've seen a lot of consolidation in development studios; I'd say ~70% of AA console development is done by the inhouse studios of the big publishers and they're sharing resources and engines as much as possible. So we can fully expect IW/Ubi/DICE/Epic etc. to do all the optimizations necessary to make the best use of XB1 they can.

Texture to frame buffer ratio was different too, they basically had a color map, and maybe a spec map and a light map on top of it at most. Nowadays it's color, normal, spec, gloss, emmisive and who knows what else.

Looking at PS2 numbers, it's quite astonishing to see 1/8th of the main RAM as EDRAM. That'd be 1GB with todays consoles.

The edram in ps2 was also massively faster than the main memory. So if Xbox One had 1gb of edram at 1TB/sec that would be a similar design. ;)

Do we know if xbone has an arm core (trustzone), and if that core can be used to do the same thing as the ps4's cpu in the south bridge?

Radeon 7770 GE vs 7850 benchmarks. Ok, lets compare the benchmark results with the card specifications.

ALU (GFLOP/s): 1280 vs 1761.28 (+38%)
Bandwidth (GB/s): 72 vs 153.6 (+113%)
Fillrate (GP/s): 16 vs 27.52 (+72%)
Texture sampling (GT/s): 40 vs 55.04 (+38%)

Actual performance in Anandtech benchmark (all games):
- Average: 1070/1689 = 1.58 (+58%)
- Minimum gain (Battlefield): 61.2/43.3 = 1.41 (+41%)
- Maximum gain (Batman): 62/36 = 1.72 (+72%)

Performance gain is limited by each game's/engine's bottlenecks. Battlefield seems to be mostly ALU or TEX bound (or both). Thus it only gains slightly more than the 38%. It represents a modern game engine. Older games/engines tend to be more fill rate bound (simple pixel shaders with less ALU/TEX instructions). Thus Batman's performance gain (+72%) is identical to the raw fillrate improvement from 7770 -> 7850. To support that extra fillrate and extra TEX you of course need extra bandwidth. That +113% BW improvement is enough to feed the +38% TEX and +72% fill capabilities of 7850.

Unfortunately we do not have any official ROP or TMU information about the consoles, and neither any ALU (FLOP/s) information for Xbox One. The only official information we have is the bandwidth figures: 200+ GB/s for Xbox One (XBox One reveal tech panel) and 176 GB/s for PS4 (Sony's PS4 press release). It's too early to draw any conclusions about that information, except that memory bandwidths of those devices are quite similar. And that's good since memory bandwidth is one of the most important thing for GPU compute (future engine graphics pipelines are also mostly compute based).
I think that, for a fairer comparison you need to compare the HD 7850 to the HD 7790 Bonaire GPU.

I am amazed at how accurate and premonitory this article was when it was published time ago, even Eurogamer linked to it in a Digital Foundry article:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/151367-amd-launches-radeon-7790-meet-the-xbox-720s-gpu

I understand that you are under NDA and you can't say much but the execution timeline -both revealed practically at the same time- clearly shows that the Xbox One GPU is basically an HD 7790 Bonaire in many ways.

The only official information we have is the bandwidth figures: 200+ GB/s for Xbox One (XBox One reveal tech panel) and 176 GB/s for PS4 (Sony's PS4 press release).

But is the 200GB/s a real thing? I mean, is it a "hypothetical" value?or is it a "reachable" value (most time) ? talking about the GPU side.

Just asking ia the PS4 18CU or 14CU.
VGleaks:
About 14 + 4 balance:
- 4 additional CUs (410 Gflops) “extra” ALU as resource for compute
- Minor boost if used for rendering

So what is the real 1.8TF or 1.4TF ?

But is the 200GB/s a real thing? I mean, is it a "hypothetical" value?or is it a "reachable" value (most time) ? talking about the GPU side.

About as real as this one for 360

LneLGcO.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back