Swedish foreign minister stabbed

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/09/10/sweden.stabbing/index.html

Ahh, this is just not what we needed. :(
The probably most respected politician in Sweden, and very respected internationally too, was stabbed just hours ago, and the situation is very serious. It sounds like she'll make it, but that's not clear yet.

At this point nothing is officially clear about the motive either, but to me and I would guess to many others the motive is obviously political. She is one of the front runners for the Yes side in the referendum about joining EMU on sunday. My best guess is that it's one of the extreme racial or nationalistic parties that's behind this, or just an action of an alone racist or nationalist, that think that joining the EMU and switching to euros would be a national disaster.

Really, really, sad. It's not clear what happends to the referendum, but it's probably going to be done despite this. Not letting this guy disturb the democratic process seams to be the word of the day right now. I wonder how it will affect the end results though. Either lots of sympathy votes, or if not, I guess the loss of the last and most important TV debates will call the results into question. The campains on both sides are now cancelled.

There is no indication yet of motive.
Judging by circumstances, it would seem to be the work of a (dangerous) nutcase. No apparent planning at all, not even seemingly an attempt at murder (or if so, grossly inept).

Entropy

First: the serious bit -- this is indeed sad. There is no excuse for such an action, no possible motive could justify it. Thankfully, they don't believe the injuries are life threatening.

Now for the dicey part....

Obviously, this would never have happened if Lindh and what she stands for wasn't completely reprehensible to some, such that it would drive someone to do this.

At this time, Sweden should take a step back, consider Lindh's positions / views, and figure out what is so obviously wrong with them that someone could be driven to such extreme lengths to do this. Then take steps to rectify that situation by altering those positions, or at the very least apologizing to the attacker for having them.

Hope she makes it.

My best guess is that it's one of the extreme racial or nationalistic parties that's behind this, or just an action of an alone racist or nationalist, that think that joining the EMU and switching to euros would be a national disaster.

It's a shame really that people resort to this....

Joe DeFuria said:
At this time, Sweden should take a step back, consider Lindh's positions / views, and figure out what is so obviously wrong with them that someone could be driven to such extreme lengths to do this. Then take steps to rectify that situation by altering those positions, or at the very least apologizing to the attacker for having them.

Joe, I have never taken you seriously but this has got to be a personal low even for you.

Joe DeFuria said:
Obviously, this would never have happened if Lindh and what she stands for wasn't completely reprehensible to some, such that it would drive someone to do this.

I seriously hope I have misunderstood you here. Apologizing to the attacker? WTF? If anything the attacker ought to be brought into justice and apologize to Anna Lindh. There's nothing she needs to apologize for. Her opionions are not extreme, and she is very well respected across the board, from left to right, except for a few far-right extremists.

Cosmo and Humus...I see that my point has been made. (Though I actually expected some people to see though those comments to the point without having me explain it.)

You seem to have very strong reactions to that blurb. To the point where I've sunk to a new low, can't possibly fathom how I can think that way. Seems absrud to you, doesn't it? Guess what...I agree. It IS absurd.

To be clear, my ACTUAL opinion is 100% contrary to what I wrote following the "Now for the dicey part...." sentence.

I'll just say this once here and hopefully exit, because this is a thread about Lindh, and not about the U.S.... but since we are on the eve of 9/11 anniversary, I thought this was a relevant and timely place to make a point.

What I wrote was and IS a VERY OFT repeated sentiment toward the U.S. as a reaction to the 9/11 attacks. "Find out what YOU did that lead to this, learn from it, and don't do it again. Yes, it's a shame, but you should have expected something like this....it was bound to happen, so maybe you'll now be the wiser for it. Change your ways..."

You don't know how sickening comments like that make me. Just as sickening as my post above relative to Lindh seemed to make you both.

Sometimes, people ARE JUST EVIL (or "nutcases" if you prefer.) You hunt these people down, and you destroy them.

I agree. It's not uncommon to read in the news that someone murdered another people just for very stupid reason, such as the victim was looking at him or something. I know a guy who lives in my neighborhood who was beaten and stabbed by some crazy men, with no apparent reason.

Bravo, Joe.

Not because you "stuck it to them", but because you've hopefully opened an eye or two on how and why we feel like the international opinion on the what the US's reaction to terrorism should be is offensive.

You all seem more confused than usual. Whenever have I or Humus or even the international opinion been against taking on terrorism?

What we have been against is colonialism and making innocents pay with their blood for your lack of sense. If that upsets you and makes you want to go cry, so be it.

lol, Joe if it is any sort of consolation that was exactly what I thought your point was when I read your post. As I was reading it I thought "that really does not sound like the Joe I know must be some sort of bait and switch." Sure enough not more then a few posts down my suspicions are confirmed. Heh..

Joe DeFuria said:
Cosmo and Humus...I see that my point has been made. (Though I actually expected some people to see though those comments to the point without having me explain it.)

I knew exactly where you were going, but I know you and I'm American.

As for perceived colonialism, I'm against it too. Though I don't consider toppling governments that directly fund terrorist organizations and allow them free movement within their borders (thinking Afghanistan here) as colonialism.

CosmoKramer said:
You all seem more confused than usual. Whenever have I or Humus or even the international opinion been against taking on terrorism?

What we have been against is colonialism and making innocents pay with their blood for your lack of sense. If that upsets you and makes you want to go cry, so be it.

I guess you just don't get it.

Even in your response here, you're suggesting that our lack of sense and foreign policy led to the 9/11 attacks. In a sense "we got what we had coming".

If you can't see the parallel between the two situations and agree that "you got what you had coming" is an offensive response to tragedy, then you're either stupid or wilfully blind.

RussSchultz said:
I guess you just don't get it.

Yes, I guess you don't get it.

Even in your response here, you're suggesting that our lack of sense and foreign policy led to the 9/11 attacks. In a sense "we got what we had coming".

Nonsense. I guess you just don't get it.

If you can't see the parallel between the two situations and agree that "you got what you had coming" is an offensive response to tragedy, then you're either stupid or wilfully blind.

I don't see where anyone in this thread has accused you of "having it coming". Way, way out of line there.

No, making such claims lay the burden of stupidity solely on you, Mr Schultz.

Cosmo...you should really open your mind to whats being said here instead of being a stubborn asshole and you might see the point they are trying to make....

wow wow, what great thread you have here... no one gives a shit about the original topic.

oh well, Maybe I am just too stupid to get why this forum is still called general discussion instead of US foreign and military policies

and what comes to real topic, this is definately sad thing. And even if it would not be a political assasination attempt, it surely does affect on EMU voting... which is again very sad. :(

Chris123234 said:
Cosmo...you should really open your mind to whats being said here instead of being a stubborn asshole and you might see the point they are trying to make....

Mr Asshole, don't you think I see their "point"? What I'm saying is that it is totally miasdirected in a thread such as this and Joes's claims are completely unfounded.

He (and others) conveniently choose to ignore the massive honest support for and solidarity with you the world (the west anyway) felt after 9/11.

He conveniently chooses to ignore that the criticism has not been that "you had it coming" but rather the way your government feels this "war" on terrorism should be undertaken.

It is further distasteful to hijack a thread such as this just becuase you feel so misunderstood and all the other kids are so mean. Bo-hoo. :rolleyes:

Nappe1 said:
wow wow, what great thread you have here... no one gives a shit about the original topic.

I do have to apologize to Humus for that. I mean no personal disrespect to him, Lindh, Sweden, or anyone else for that matter. It was more or less a perfect opportunity to make a point, it was made, and I think everyone (except you know who) "got it." So hopefully we can get past that now.

and what comes to real topic, this is definately sad thing. And even if it would not be a political assasination attempt, it surely does affect on EMU voting... which is again very sad. :(

Indeed.

Back