Street Fighter 4

The main thing they need is to get Drug Control in there to get these guys off their steroids! Character design is an abomination IMO. It's like they took one oversized muscle-man model and stuck different heads on it. The result is boring.

Well with the latest new character unveiled, Abel, these muscular characters are no accident. Abel is copied straight out of Baki, so it is clear to me now that the look most of the original world warriors too are inspired by Baki in SF4.

I still prefer their inspiration from Hokuto like previous SF games. At least with Hokuto, the height and head ratio kinda balance them out a little.

Just look at Feng from Tekken 5, that one is copied straight out of Baki too. He was rather muscular too. Heck check out Baki fighting game, the characters are like these too.

The main thing they need is to get Drug Control in there to get these guys off their steroids! Character design is an abomination IMO. It's like they took one oversized muscle-man model and stuck different heads on it. The result is boring.

I agree. I think the character designs are terrible.

I don't think is that bad, specially after watching it in motion they had some gameplay videos at 1up. The concept art is worse than what it looks like in the game

The character designs are NOT terrible. They are excellent. It is the ART STYLE that's terrible. What I'd really like to know though is why Capcom is calling this game Street Fighter 4?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wUmvo4mGaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XTZkRXQXzs

As you can see, it's more like SFEX4. :LOL:

Well design or art style, whatever you want to call it, I think the characters look really shitty. The inhuman WWE roid-rage proportions look stupid.

The character designs are NOT terrible. They are excellent. It is the ART STYLE that's terrible. What I'd really like to know though is why Capcom is calling this game Street Fighter 4?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wUmvo4mGaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XTZkRXQXzs

As you can see, it's more like SFEX4. :LOL:

oh god indeed!

I dont even know if SF4 will be as good as I am expecting after this.

I didnt like SF EX's feel much, and after seeing this this looks way too similar!

Well, I am looking forward to this.

But yes, those characters look shit. Im not digging Chunli's deformed penis thumb. That is just plain wrong.

And Ryu looks like terry wogan in some shots. Character design aside, I think from a graphical perspective the game looks awesome. If I had of seen this when i was 15 (and loving SFII turbo) I would have done shameful things to the cartridge insert slot. :)

EX looked fine and moved fine for the day it was released (certainly cleaner than a lot of the "3D-but-not" fighters of the day), it just had shitty balance, and was a bit too herky-jerky for what people came to expect from a Street Fighter. (Though they improved as they went along.)

If they pay attention to the title the way they do for mainline SF's instead of treating it as an offshoot experiment, it could certainly be promising. There's nothing intrinsically "wrong" with transitioning to 3D--they can quite easily have the same look and feel as other SF's.

Don't forget hideously bad art.

itsatraprj0.jpg

I mean, I can understand getting kicked isn't going to look good, but then how is it that the old 2D games actually look good, while looking like ass with new technology. Nobody ever looked this hideously deformed in the 2D games when they get kicked.

Don't forget hideously bad art.

itsatraprj0.jpg

I mean, I can understand getting kicked isn't going to look good, but then how is it that the old 2D games actually look good, while looking like ass with new technology. Nobody ever looked this hideously deformed in the 2D games when they get kicked.

it looks fine in motion, I doubt many people pause in the middle of it... things are exaggerated so u can notice them while on fast motion of the fighting game, and if u look at some older screens of Street Fighter 2, the expressions were also kinda like that, someone on Gaf did that comparisson actually

I LIKE the style, but I don't like the lighting and colours are over-saturated. I'm hoping for a PC version, as we deserve it, and I don't need stinking consoles and LCD TVs, thanks.

lol I didn't knew there was a SF EX3, I thought there was only one SF EX and that it was canned afterwards.
SF3 looks awesome but I never got near it, dreamcast is long dead (but I have a dead one!). maybe it was never even sold in Europe, I don't know.

I'd love for the gameplay to be basic, the SF version I like is Street Fighter II Turbo. (which I played quite a bit on the X360 controller, the DPAD is not as good as SNES but I found it decent. Gamecube would be the worst DPAD, and old PS1 pads sucked)
"turbo bars", flashy "ultra combos" and hysteric "exploding lightning stuff" are a bit ridiculous imo.

Did you ever see Blanka getting hit?

Let me rephrase that. None of the more serious characters look hideously deformed when they get hit. Rainbow Mika also falls flat on her ass, but comical characters are meant to be comical. Blanka was always a comical character. He even charges a blender by sticking the cord into his nose. We're talking about the normal more serious characters.

Bad art is bad art whether they're moving or not. Forget getting hit, they're ugly just standing there. Ryu was suppose to be this wise and experienced fighter, but now he looks like a gorilla. Ken, the arrogant pretty boy looks like a hobo right now.

Well, I guess this shows how much opinions differ! I think the art looks superb, and that the game does justice to the look and - most importantly - feel of Street Fighters 2 and particularly 3.

Ryu's arm are pretty damn big (and with over exaggerated definition) in Street Fighter 3 btw. There's an awful lot more detail visible in modern 3D graphics compared to old, low res 2D and they seem to be using it well.

If it can play as well as SF3 or even Alpha 2 I think this could be a winner.

Bad art is bad art whether they're moving or not. Forget getting hit, they're ugly just standing there. Ryu was suppose to be this wise and experienced fighter, but now he looks like a gorilla. Ken, the arrogant pretty boy looks like a hobo right now.
So you'd rather have Ryu and Ken look like girls instead, branding zippers, belts, and buckles?

Back