Star Wars Battlefront [PS4, XO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11852

IGN have the first piece of DICE concept art for this game, due out later this year. This is as good a time as any to kick off the game thread!

ignfinalv1jpg-c41deb_610w.jpg

Source: IGN (who also have a 4800 x 2700 high-res version)

Really looking forward to this! :yes:

I am not into the Star Wars universe, but this game just looks so good that it could be my second Star Wars game ever.

Hm...I want it!!!! But it is DICE we are talking here...they eat babies during their lunch break and use poor monkeys for QA!

SW:BF on PS2 was a great game, a simple, fun, pick up and play shooter. Been eager for a sequel, but it's one of those games they could easily cock up. If they make it BattleField Space for example, it won't be the same experience and I possibly won't be interested. The lack of realism in the original was one of its charms, I think. If it's a real shooter with a SW skin, it'll need to be something special to not be as old and tired as all the other shooters.

So I was just watching the E3 trailer for this and noticed they say See More Spring 2015:

Does this mean we should be expecting a big reveal at GDC this week? Looks promising.

(
)

The jungle felt rich and solid, the snow convincingly snowy. It might start to fall apart on close inspection, but it was impressive to the less bitter and jaded of us...:yep2:

Nothing about the snow really stands out to me. Back to the vaunted forest bit. I'm seeing very little vegetative motion there for a forest. It's not very noticeable because of the camera pan which is keeping everything in motion but if you want to sense of the vegetive fakery focus on the two bushes that get hit by the laser blast around 1:43 and the way both bushes rock back and forth like pots. :runaway:

Last edited by a moderator:
There are zero games I've seen that look anywhere near as good as that clip of the jungle. I think this is an absolutely perfect time for me to say that you can't see the forest for the trees.
The lack of movement is jarring for me. Trees and plants should move. Shadows cast from the leafy canopy above should be casting shifting shadows on the ground but.. there is nothing. Don't look at what is there look at what isn't. They're seven months out from shipping.

Also, I desperately hope they are using Hoth and Endor just as examples of planets in the Star Wars universe for demo purposes, I really hope they have an original story. I don't want to be trooper 27162-3 who gets posted to the first Death Star and has to fight Han and Luke when they escape, then gets posted to Hoth to overwhelm the rebel base while they try to escape.

Please, DICE, do an original story that isn't tied to the original trilogy :yes:

The lack of movement is jarring for me. Trees and plants should move. Shadows cast from the leafy canopy above should be casting shifting shadows on the ground but.. there is nothing. Don't look at what is there look at what isn't. They're seven months out from shipping.

Like I said, forest for the trees. You're looking at a video from June 2014 of a beautiful rainforest that looks more detailed than any game that I've seen, and you're finding one aspect to basically ignore the rest. I have no expectations that it'll look that good on consoles. Maybe an sli pc. It's that impressive looking.

Like I said, forest for the trees. You're looking at a video from June 2014 of a beautiful rainforest that looks more detailed than any game that I've seen, and you're finding one aspect to basically ignore the rest.
The one aspect being the game environment is static like games from the original PlayStation. Play Tomb Raider, any Far Cry, Crysis or even GTA V and imagine the forest environment where the trees and plants don't move.

Prettying up the geometry and textures is no compensation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back