Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

What I don't like is that unlike in Cyberpunk 2077 the whole story is not told in the first perspective. The player loses control. Cutscenes are backward and reducing the immersion.
Last time they showed off Squadron they mentioned each cutscene can be toggled to be first person or 3rd person if I recall. I imagine that is still in the design brief.

They're always chasing new features, this and that. It's an endless loop...

For a second I thought you were talking about WoW, FFXIV, Warframe, Path of Exile, or a multitude of other games that are doing exactly that. :)

It's playable as a game and lots of people have fun playing it. That's what matters. Lots of people also don't, but that goes for every single playable game in existence. :p

Hell, I have more fun playing Star Citizen with friends casually (they are WAAAY more into it than I am) than in HZD, Spider-Man, Diablo IV and hundreds of other games.

Regards,
SB

For a second I thought you were talking about WoW, FFXIV, Warframe, Path of Exile, or a multitude of other games that are doing exactly that. :)

It's playable as a game and lots of people have fun playing it. That's what matters. Lots of people also don't, but that goes for every single playable game in existence. :p

Hell, I have more fun playing Star Citizen with friends casually (they are WAAAY more into it than I am) than in HZD, Spider-Man, Diablo IV and hundreds of other games.

Regards,
SB

It's maybe playable but last time I checked is was a lot of slices not really well put together. Of course you can have fun, but imo it's at best a alpha/beta.

Non native english speaker here, Is there a difference between features complete and content complete or does i see a difference not there ?

edit: i should have finished the video first , the response is in it listening to all they say. It's the same.

Last edited:
At least this time the Squadron 42 gameplay didn't look like a vertical slice like last time.
Perhaps a few vertical slices??? :p
The on-foot gameplay, the AI (NPCs/enemy) and the flight model looked rough, but that is very understandable considering the stage they are (supposedly) in development.
Anyway, looks like it is progressing to the point it will at least come out sometime in the future. (barring some disaster...)

What can I say... I hope they manage to do it.
I really don't like their business model, their cult nurturing marketing etc, but that doesn't mean I want them to fail, (especially taking into consideration how much of a shame it would be for the people that gave all that money to fund their dream game).
I sincerely have my doubts, especially for the MMO part, (that server meshing technology is always six months away), but who knows.
I won't give them money though, unless there is a game to play, I won't.

When you look at this all that is really different from something like BG3 in early access is that this took money earlier. Year 0 instead of year 3. BG spent 3 years in development then another 3 years while being part of early access. Hopefully this completes well and becomes as big of a success as that game.

BG3 is a game. Star Citizen is a Game as a Service. The business model (and players) are much closer to something like Destiny 2 or FFXIV.

Except for my previously mentioned points of criticism I am convinced by the Squadron 42 footage. The gameplay looks good and also varied. All shown puzzles looked good to me. The characters are very lively and the areas extremely detailed/high quality and thoughtfully designed. The improvements of the combat, HUD, EVA, interaction system and flight model are noticeable. You can see that a lot of money was invested into Squadron 42. Probably several hundred million USD. I wonder if that's worth it financially for a PC game. They are not a CD project where people buy immediately.

Chris Roberts was also very relieved at the end of the presentation and close to tears. The hardest part of Squadron 42 seems to be behind the developers.

What else did they show yesterday besides Squadron 42:
  • They showed an outstanding character editor. There is probably nothing better out there.
  • Then they showed the new hair tech which I really like. Unfortunately, they said goodbye to the idea where they wanted to calculate every single hair. That doesn't seem to work for a game with so many characters on the screen. Still, the hair was very impressive. I don't know if I've ever seen hair in a game that was as good as in this event.
  • Then they showed the improvements in the controls. Everything will feel more fluid. Interacting with objects, climbing ladders, looking around cover, crawling, EVA, melee, looting, weapon handling and recoil, etc.
  • Weapons wear out now too.
  • Then they showed the improved flight model. I won't go into that in detail but flying in the atmosphere seems realistic now. You can even glide with a spaceship now as long as it is built that way. Navigation in space is also noticeably better.
  • Then they introduced base building and they showed the persistent custom hangar from which you can also load the spaceship and drive ground vehicles into the spaceship. Building bases will make exploration much more rewarding.
  • Then they showed many new locations, clothing and tatoos.
CIG presented so much that you can't summarize it quickly. Well it was 5 hours yesterday alone. The day before yesterday too.

Last time they showed off Squadron they mentioned each cutscene can be toggled to be first person or 3rd person if I recall. I imagine that is still in the design brief.
That would be good. It might not work for all cutscenes. After all, the music has to be coordinated with it as well. The opening flight scene from the trailer only works with a cutscene. But I don't need to see dialogues in cutscenes in a game. Video games should stand out from movies through their interactivity.

Especially since they've also talked about better engaging the player in the world through interaction with objects. Cut scenes, on the other hand, do the exact opposite.

Last edited:
Star Citizen is literally an alpha.

And if they continue it as a GAAS like an MMO, Warframe, PoE, etc. then the "release" version will forever be a Beta. Warframe, for example, still considers itself a Beta (the only change with the public "release" in 2013 was that it changed from a closed Beta to an open Beta) as do most if not all MMORPGs. That's because the engine, systems, basically anything in the game can change at any moment.

Regards,
SB

BG3 is a game. Star Citizen is a Game as a Service. The business model (and players) are much closer to something like Destiny 2 or FFXIV.
SQ42 is a single purchase game just like BG3 and that is what is nearing completion. Star citizen is a game as a service sure. But CIG is doing both

Is the boss okay?

The last time I saw someone with that look (non uniformity in left/right half facial muscles articulation), he dies in the next few years...

As for the game, it really reminds me of freelancer. But much more expanded. Way more expanded.

With how they explained their progress in the video, it'll take years before a beta.

Is the boss okay?

The last time I saw someone with that look (non uniformity in left/right half facial muscles articulation), he dies in the next few years...

As for the game, it really reminds me of freelancer. But much more expanded. Way more expanded.

With how they explained their progress in the video, it'll take years before a beta.
For which game? There is a single player Squadron 42and a multiplayer star citizen.

SQ42 according to CIG is feature complete and is now in optimization/bug fixing stage. Which hopefully means its a year or two from launch but who really knows with CIG

Star Citizen you can play right now in alpha and like any MMO/Live service game which will likely never be done and will constantly evolve.

The bulk of the development team is focused on SQ42. So hopefully once that is done and a lot of the systems from that are incorporated into the live build of Star ctiizen we can see the bulk of the development team start working on the multiplayer experiance.

But who knows what will happen. CIG has said similar things in the past

For which game? There is a single player Squadron 42and a multiplayer star citizen.

SQ42 according to CIG is feature complete and is now in optimization/bug fixing stage. Which hopefully means its a year or two from launch but who really knows with CIG

Star Citizen you can play right now in alpha and like any MMO/Live service game which will likely never be done and will constantly evolve.

The bulk of the development team is focused on SQ42. So hopefully once that is done and a lot of the systems from that are incorporated into the live build of Star ctiizen we can see the bulk of the development team start working on the multiplayer experiance.

But who knows what will happen. CIG has said similar things in the past
Sorry I was unclear. I meant the 42's latest video.

Yeah 1-2 years at the soonest, for a beta

They changed engine again?
I mean it sure does look pretty but

Weapons wear out now too.
and bs like
Hygiene/Shower Mechanic - You need to shower, or else you are more likely to catch diseases and suffer penalties. Wearing dirty equipment and using dirty weapons speeds up rate at which you get dirty. Ships with showers built in will be required for long distance exploration as your character may die if you travel too far/long without a shower
:unsure:
How is this shit supposed to be fun?

Citizencon 2052: Home economics gameplay loop enabled, with the new Starching and Ironing module excitingly find the balance between 7 variables to perfectly press & seam your space shirts & collars.
If you use too much steam your iron may explode and set your ship on fire.
Move the iron too slow 🔥
Too little heat and your clothes will be creased: you'll be unable to enter the hoity-toity parts of stations and you'll have no success with the ladies in the long promised boom--shakalaka module 🍆
Sorry, boom-shakalaka pushed back to at least 2110 to incorporate this new feature but pledge now $10,000 per inch while stock is available to secure your adequacy!
Citizencon 2348: Indentured slave gameplay loop enabled, when captured by a boarding party you will be required to serve at least 5 years of realtime gameplay as an indentured slave literally shovelling excruciatingly detailed nested, containerised, streaming, steaming heaps of :poop: by manual mouse movement.
Lead a slave uprising! Convince your friends to yell 'I'm Spartacus' shortly before you are all crucified by your master, fun!

The bulk of the development team is focused on SQ42.
I'm sure they are & definitely not rushing to make sure the Pergals generic non-copyrighted-space-whales are in the definitely-not-highly-scripted-'gameplay'-video in time for Ashoka Citizencon hype.

Ugh man, I ranted again. I wanted to stop coming here periodically & just saying negative stuff 🤷‍♂️
I was on the website within a few hours of the first announcement, back when it was just a countdown timer because I was excited about a new Chris Roberts space game in a time when space-sim stuff was considered a totally dead genre.
Some of this stuff is genuinely pretty amazing & exciting, I periodically come in here watch some videos then go to the website with a plan to buy a cheap ship so I can check it out but then I recoil at the horror & bullshit monetisation and remember why I never did before :runaway:

Back