Standard Inquirer bull or something potentially interesting?

So you're still talking about a chip on the mobo tho? "Discrete" seems to be context, as you usually hear discussion of market share etc using "discrete" to mean non-IGP. You seem to be using it to mean something IGP-like (if not exactly part of the northbridge itself).

I'm using it as it's used in electronics, so I guess someone from the PR f**ked it up and it stayed that way over there ;)

I mean it will be a chip(s?) on the mobo.

Reactions: Geo
I might believe a competitive IGP chip from Intel, but I am very skeptical of any competitive high-end/enthusiast card.

NocturnDragon said:
Does anyone know if PowerVR writes the drivers for it's designs or it's all up to the licensee? Or maybe to each it's own part in the game?
PowerVR wrote the drivers for Series 3 and earlier PC parts. For MBX, PowerVR write drivers for Linux and Windows Mobile and ARM write drivers for Symbian IIRC.

Lazy8s said:
Their SGX license could help.
Was it ever confirmed that Intel's PowerVRS5 licence is for SGX? IIRC it was announced for "Eurasia", a Series 5 family improving on the first implemenation of S5 (presumably the one for Sega). SGX was then announced as part of the Eurasia family, with other members to be announced later.

NocturnDragon said:
Does anyone know if PowerVR writes the drivers for it's designs or it's all up to the licensee? Or maybe to each it's own part in the game?

AFAIK they wouldn't even accept to license graphics IP without drivers.

amk said:
Was it ever confirmed that Intel's PowerVRS5 licence is for SGX? IIRC it was announced for "Eurasia", a Series 5 family improving on the first implemenation of S5 (presumably the one for Sega). SGX was then announced as part of the Eurasia family, with other members to be announced later.

I'm not sure but I don't think that the SEGA chip or original S5 (name it whatever you want) even belongs to the Eurasia family. It's my understanding that the latter was a "non-unified" shader core design, while Eurasia is.

The scalability of the Eurasia family supports a broad range of applications including those in mobile, consumer and computing segments. These cores will co-exist alongside the PowerVR MBX family, members of which are currently being integrated in a variety of devices including mobile handhelds, car navigation and entertainment systems. Further details about the PowerVR Eurasia family will be announced as appropriate.

http://www.imgtec.com/news/Release/index.asp?ID=409

Considering the INQ's newsblurb it could be from absolute bullocks to a minor misunderstanding. PDAs are pocket PCs which is one possible explanation and the other would be that there might be standalone graphics sollutions from Intel in the future, yet I don't expect anything for the high end segment either.

Even if IMGs IP should have something to do with the latter scenario, Eurasia sounds to me like a family of products designed and optimized for PDA/mobile devices with the ability to scale units for other uses, but to expect a mainstream or high end GPU from there sounds way too optimistic for me. Scalability isn't endless and while it should be technically possible I guess IMG would have to design something way more ambitious based on the same architectural foundations.

Highest end SGX is according to IMG's claims 8mm^2@90nm.

OTOH, there is more than one route. . . http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31730

There would be some logic to this in some parts of the business --not so much in others. Intel already killed one decent graphics company by being only interested in serving the other parts of the business. . .

Z303 said:
I'm not him. I just noticed the link when I was looking for some GLSL samples.

Not that there'd be anything wrong with that! :LOL: Anyway, welcome to B3D posting, former lurker. :smile:

_xxx_ said:
Maybe it's extremely scalable, how would you know?

Common sense. Up until the budget/low-end segment it all sounds feasable; beyond that and especially for the high end it's in the wet dreams category in my book.

Z303 said:
Well they do seem to be upto something. Randi Rost has gone to work for them.

By the way, I never got a chance to thank you for that little tidbit of information, it seems one of my professors knows Randi Rost pretty well. And apparently Intel has aquired most all of the former 3DLabs team. Take from that what you will.

Urian said:
I have to say that from one year ago I have in my mind the possible scenario of an Intel HD Console.

Well ever since the announcement of being "platform-centric" and VIIV, I think a lot of people have been expecting that.

If Intel locked up ATI and made a videogame console(is this what you guys mean by HD console?), Microsoft and Sony would be limited to Nvidia.

I noticed some time ago the real power in consoles is ATi and Nvidia. They could brand their own consoles and MS and Sony would be relatively powerless.

sonyps35 said:
I noticed some time ago the real power in consoles is ATi and Nvidia. They could brand their own consoles and MS and Sony would be relatively powerless.

Well, there is the little matter of content. :LOL: Do you know how many game devs that MS and Sony are direct employers?

Back