Standard Inquirer bull or something potentially interesting?

Their disclaimer is that we'll see "something" by this time next year. I wouldn't hold my breath for any info coming soon.

It's probably just something capable of running the new Vista GUI at a reasonable speed and not much more. Intel's got enough on their plates competing with AMD without going up against Nvidia and ATI - who happen to be supplying all of the decent performance chipsets for anyone who wants to play games with Intel CPUs.

Intel are big, but they'd have to divert significant money and engineering expertise to outdo ATI and Nvidia on the graphics front.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Intel's got enough on their plates competing with AMD without going up against Nvidia and ATI - who happen to be supplying all of the decent performance chipsets for anyone who wants to play games with Intel CPUs.

I wonder if Ati and nvidia have better chipsets than Intel for Conroe ? Maybe, maybe not ..will be interesting to watch.

From what I've heard they are in fact working on something and that it would top todays current high end. Lastly, it's not like any GPU that currently exists in any way shape or form. They also plan on relying heavily on their process technology to give them a huge clockspeed and transistor budget advantage.

Killer-Kris said:
From what I've heard they are in fact working on something and that it would top todays current high end. Lastly, it's not like any GPU that currently exists in any way shape or form. They also plan on relying heavily on their process technology to give them a huge clockspeed and transistor budget advantage.

That would be fantastic. Imagine ATi and Nvidia being underdogs - that would be sweet.

trinibwoy said:
That would be fantastic. Imagine ATi and Nvidia being underdogs - that would be sweet.

Even if the synergy boys internally make sure it only works with Intel cpus? :D Maybe even only Intel cpus on Intel chipsets?

Certainly they can bring a process advantage to the table that no one can match. But unless they are going to offer a discrete solution there is no way it can top current high-end, is there?

I don't have too terribly much info, but it is definitely intended to be a discrete part, or possibly a co-processor of sorts.

And I wouldn't expect ATI and Nvidia to be in any sort of under dog position by the time it's released, I would expect parity at best for Intel.

I tend to think it is way out of their reach to compete at the high-end.

But then they don't have to. If they could corner IGP and take a big chunk out of the X1300/7300 market they could certainly do some damage to ATI/NV. I tend to think that even 7600/X1600 is out of their reach. . .but if I'm wrong about that, they might even be able to make ATI/NV financially unviable in their current form anyway.

But that's really a wild-eyed flyer right there. :LOL:

Killer-Kris said:

I thought Intel is increasingly looking to TSMC for non cpu production. In any case, it seems like it would be tough for them to swallow making gpus (which have pretty big dies) on advanced process in-house. So while I wouldn't dismiss the Intel graphics rumor as nothing, I find it very difficult to believe the rumor that they would make a high-end chip and gain an advantage through their process.

With a huge incress in pressure from AMD on the CPU front, I just dont see Intel wanting to take on Nvidia and ATi on the discrete graphics front. It'd be even difficult for Intel to handle something like that.

They'll sell "PVR Series5+" of some kind, methinks. As a discrete mobo addon chip. It should also require much less die space than comparable non-tilers from the big two.

EDIT: though thinking of Intel's drivers makes me shudder...

_xxx_ said:
though thinking of Intel's drivers makes me shudder...

Does anyone know if PowerVR writes the drivers for it's designs or it's all up to the licensee? Or maybe to each it's own part in the game?

_xxx_ said:
As a discrete mobo addon chip.

Argh. That looks like a straddle to me. ;) "Discrete" equals "card that goes in standard slot". "mobo addon chip" equals. . .oh, silk-screened spot on mobo if it isn't there.

Which did you mean? My understanding is that unless they are significantly redesigning the desktop mobo (which one would think we would have heard about by now, as it impacts more than them), a mobo addon chip implies using system memory and bus for the graphics solution, which is going to significantly limit their performance reach, even for (tho less so) a nifty TBDR solution.

geo said:
Argh. That looks like a straddle to me. ;) "Discrete" equals "card that goes in standard slot".

No, discrete means exactly the opposite. Discrete would be a individual electronics component to be built into a card or wherever else, like a single tranny, diode etc.

EDIT: the word itself describes a single component. In the original sense, a chip would be integrated and thus the opposite of discrete, but since a chip is viewed as an individual component, it's also referred to as discrete nowadays.

http://computing-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/discrete+component

Last edited by a moderator:
Intell could easly jump into the gamming chips.. Just how many ATIs and NVDAs do you think fit in a Intell... about 3 each. But as speculated This will be a onboard, and Vistasih, And to bring on a buzz before Conroe, and with yonna being a good chip.. the giant is awakening.

Back