Sony's Next Generation Portable unveiling - PSP2 in disguise

just had a idea:

with the GPS in the NGP mixed with Augmented Reality someone can make a game where the Big Dinosaur can chase you around in the real world.

I was glad Sony published that video. There's a lot of people forgetting that Sony has been beating the AR drum far longer and louder than Nintendo (including game journos. I had to write Gamespot to correct a story on this point). And I've seen far too many people jumping through all sorts of rhetorical hoops trying to credit the 3DS for the innovation. IE: "It's the first dedicated handheld gaming platform with a integrated camera for AR gaming..." That's a lot of convoluted and arbitrary conditions needed to discount the Eye Toy, PS Eye, PSP Camera and iPhones. And the additional processing power in the NGP should allow for even more sophisticated applications than the 3DS can manage.

I was glad Sony published that video. There's a lot of people forgetting that Sony has been beating the AR drum far longer and louder than Nintendo (including game journos. I had to write Gamespot to correct a story on this point). And I've seen far too many people jumping through all sorts of rhetorical hoops trying to credit the 3DS for the innovation. IE: "It's the first dedicated handheld gaming platform with a integrated camera for AR gaming..." That's a lot of convoluted and arbitrary conditions needed to discount the Eye Toy, PS Eye, PSP Camera and iPhones. And the additional processing power in the NGP should allow for even more sophisticated applications than the 3DS can manage.

to be honest the media make me sick lol

they are quick to say things like

"3DS like Augmented Reality"

or "Kinect like controller-free gameplay"

when talking about something sony is doing as if sony was stealing the idea then the fanboys run with it.

they have already started with the NGP Augmented Reality demos saying that they are trying to copy the 3DS AR Cards.

like they never seen

invizimalslgans.jpg

EyePet_PSP_screen001.jpg

61m2zr6jpol._ss400_.jpg

to be honest the media make me sick lol

they are quick to say things like

"3DS like Augmented Reality"

or "Kinect like controller-free gameplay"

when talking about something sony is doing as if sony was stealing the idea then the fanboys run with it.

they have already started with the NGP Augmented Reality demos saying that they are trying to copy the 3DS AR Cards.

like they never seen

invizimalslgans.jpg

EyePet_PSP_screen001.jpg

61m2zr6jpol._ss400_.jpg

I think it largely has to do with the 3DS putting the feature available out-of-the-box and integrating it with their already established Mii system. As for Kinect, Mircosoft invested alot of money to advertise it, and Dance Central is probably the major contributors to sell the idea. Sony showcased the hardware, but they didn't have the software or marketing to turn more people's head to sell the idea.

I think it largely has to do with the 3DS putting the feature available out-of-the-box and integrating it with their already established Mii system. As for Kinect, Mircosoft invested alot of money to advertise it, and Dance Central is probably the major contributors to sell the idea. Sony showcased the hardware, but they didn't have the software or marketing to turn more people's head to sell the idea.

they was saying this before the 3DS even released,

I think it largely has to do with the 3DS putting the feature available out-of-the-box and integrating it with their already established Mii system.

Actually, I think it speaks more to a general ignorance of, or unwillingness to acknowledge, Sony innovations.

Actually, I think it speaks more to a general ignorance of, or unwillingness to acknowledge, Sony innovations.
Marketing and general ignorance go hand in hand. People wait for the information to come to them, so if Nintendo are first to say, "look what we did," in a way that people hear, they'll be the ones to get credit.

That's an excuse for the lay person, not for people who cover gaming professionally. Nor does it excuse those who refuse to acknowledge Sony's contributions even when they are pointed out.

back on topic:

I think NGP is going to have some of the best AR games we have every seen because it's Sony's 4th Gen of AR products & it's being built with AR in mind as a feature with a CPU & GPGPU that's really good at video processing & things like that, add that in with the sensors that's inside of NGP & you have a lot that can be done ,

& I have reasons to believe that the Camera will be higher res than PS Eye & it will not be limited by the speed of USB2 because it's made onto the NGP. so I'm thinking

960 x 544 60FPS or 30FPS

640x480 60FPS

480 x 272 120FPS

The PSP Camera was

320x240 15fps

320x240 30fps

480x272 15fps

480x272 30fps

realityfighter.png

by the way this is the game that Richard Marks was talking about years ago saying that you and someone else could have your PSP's pointing at a coffee table playing a Fighting game & it would look like the fighters was in the room.

Last edited by a moderator:
AR multiplayer Diablo game, where game procedurally generate dungeon walls on the table surface [either fixed walls where player can move across the table or, player is fixed and walls are moving around him].
Make it happen Sony. UNTOLD LEGENDS: AR WARRIORS

edit
Also, online multiplayer AR game? Lets say this diablo hack&slasher. Few players play game at their home, on different surfaces, but dungeon layout is the same for all, and player position is updated over wifi/3g.

I talked about this before but can't remember where I was when I was talking about it (SMH)

using the Cameras & sensors in the NGP they should be able to do a pretty good job & creating a game that looks like it's in 3D

They need to get a demo of that out on the App Store so I can play around with it!

I've tried an iPhone app of a similar theme but with a manual slider for head (distance) tracking, and it creates an impressive effect on both my phone and especially the iPad.

Many of the current stereoscopic and autostereoscopic 3D technologies are too unrefined for comfortable viewing outside media playback, being more likely to serve as a distraction than an enhancement to a GUI or productivity app.

A mix of head/eye tracking, device orientation sensing, and some AR, though, could be utilized to add some useful dimension to a variety of apps even under the current level of camera and sensor technologies.

20110302-16595675-ngp-img4855.jpg

looking at the slide I notice 1 AR app on the PSP that I never seen before 'Second Sight'

googled it & seen these videos

20110302-16595675-ngp-img4857.jpg

realityfighter.png

being able to use anything as your tracking point means that the AR will look more natural because they can place the AR right on the objects with no cards or anything in the way, & with the sensors added to the camera tracking, we should be able to just walk around things like the fighters & see them from all angles without the tracking becoming unstable.

I think the Unreal Engine demos were more interesting than that...

That wasn't anything to brag about in my opinion.

Sony needs to make an in-car/dashboard mount for the NGP. I looked for one for the PSP but couldn't find any.

More information about the Vision Game Engine

Unlike other mobile devices, which have very limited shader performance and therefore require fairly simple pixel shaders, NGP allows us to use most of the heavyweight shader set included in the Vision Game Engine for PC and home consoles. For example, our Fantasy game scene (images enclosed), with parallax mapping, normal maps, detailed characters with 10k+ triangles, and many other advanced graphical features, runs fine on NGP, even with 4xMSAA.

Since a lot of the functionality in the Vision Game Engine is fully multi-threaded, our game engine tech benefits nicely from the symmetrical multi-core architecture of NGP. Animations, mesh deformation, visibility determination, physics, streaming, and other subsystems are parallelized with the rendering and the game code. Together with a variety of GPU- and CPU-related optimizations we implemented for NGP, this allows us to run many scenes built for PS3 directly on NGP with few or no modifications – and at nice frame rates.

GyKiD.jpg

UrWVj.jpg

It's just a tech demo but these are the first direct-feed screens we get from NGP

And from the comments section:

How about adding shadows (because there are none at all in either scene)? I know very well the hardware can handle it. I would prioritize shadowing over 4xMSAA (which is a huge performance hog, especially on a handheld, and not necessarily needed as much on a small screen). Why not look into less-expensive MLAA used by many Sony devs? There has got to be a less performance intensive anti-aliasing model that will look just as nice on a smaller screen.

Also...I'm hoping you can tone down the shinier mapping effects and maybe try to be more subtle and realistic.

Hi John: Sorry for the delayed response and thanks for the comments.

There will be shadows in the release version of the Vision Game Engine for NGP (set for the end of April).

Interestingly, 4xMSAA proved to be pretty cheap in the scenes we tested it on.

As far as the “shiny effects” are concerned: That’s completely up to the artists. The people designing our demo scenes liked that look, I guess, but developers can create games with a completely different visual style if they'd like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since a lot of the functionality in the Vision Game Engine is fully multi-threaded, our game engine tech benefits nicely from the symmetrical multi-core architecture of NGP.
[strike]That's a truly pointless PR soundbite. The GPU handles threads and cores itself, transparently to the developer. Maybe he's getting confused with multithreading their engine for the 4 core CPU?[/strike]

Edit: Me being brain-dead!

Back