Sony's Next Generation Portable unveiling - PSP2 in disguise

Exactly. It's like buying music. Having paid to listen to a track, we don't want to have to pay again and again to listen to the same piece of music just on different devices. That doesn't make sense - the 'purchase' is a right to hear the artist's creation, and not a right to use a particular devices. Likewise movies are starting to come with digital copies and DVDs with BRDs to allow viewing on different devices, instead of having to buy a BRD version and a DVD and a download, which encourages people to jsut rip content.

If the game is the same game, then the nature of the handheld and console is just a variation in how you play the game. The price to access that game shouldn't be devaluing a person's device and experience by artificially locking them out of either device without a second purchase of the same content. At worse a titchy covering fee, but it'd be in Sony's best interests to promote NGP by having the same game bought as a single item that can be downloaded to PS3 and NGP.

I dare say they won't do this though, and the value of NGP will be severely gimped as a result - a handheld console for hardcore gamers, who already onw a hardcore console, and will have to pay hardcore prices to enjoy the same game on both of them.

If these quotes are correct I think Tim Sweeney must be losing his mind, saying that iPad 2 really is 9x the graphics performance of iPad 1 and A4's 1GHz Cortex-A8 is roughly equivalent to a 3.2GHz Xenos core..

Paying multiple times for the same game?
Looking at the biggest cash-cows Fifa, NBA and Cod, people seem content with this idea, paying for the same game with updated names on the trikot (changed evil empire race) each year .

IMHO, doing straight ports is wrong. NGP games should either augment the game but beeing good and different enough.. a bit like DLC - optional Portable Content - OPC (you heard it here first folks!). Ties into the game, maybe even unlocks areas when you progress on the other platform.

If straight ports they should be cheap or gratis (included on Bluray), but I wont fancy that much

Epic's Tim Sweeney on the NGP and mobile gaming in general. The NGP bit is at the second to last and last paragraph.

I came here to post this guess I was too slow.

Now, to come back around to the NGP. Yes, it's got ball-busting, hardcore power. But it's also largely free from the limitations that plague iOS and Android phones. It doesn't have the driver overhead. The memory's predictable. Developers can basically write to the metal, without going through layers of software abstraction. While Epic couldn't talk technical specifics, knowing what we do know about the NGP hardware, and how it won't run into the same ceilings as iOS and Android devices, it's safe to say that it's going to be the undisputed king of killer mobile gaming, at least when it comes to pure, unrelenting eye candy.

So yeah, be ready to strap on your eyeballs. Wouldn't want them to get blown away during your morning commute

can't wait

Looking at the biggest cash-cows Fifa, NBA and Cod, people seem content with this idea, paying for the same game with updated names on the trikot (changed evil empire race) each year .

IMHO, doing straight ports is wrong. NGP games should either augment the game but beeing good and different enough.. a bit like DLC - optional Portable Content - OPC (you heard it here first folks!). Ties into the game, maybe even unlocks areas when you progress on the other platform.

If straight ports they should be cheap or gratis (included on Bluray), but I wont fancy that much

that's what they are telling devs to do

However, Sony is also insisting that it "does not want exactly the same game" on NGP and PS3 – there "has to be a reason for the NGP title". "They want at least some kind of interactivity between the two versions with NGP-only extras," the source added.

Looking at the biggest cash-cows Fifa, NBA and Cod, people seem content with this idea...
These aren't the same game, even if the differences are few and far between. They are bought once a year, adding a new load of content and some variations from version to version. What Joe Public doesn't do is go out and buy FIFA for PS3, and then buy it for PS3 again, and then PS3 again. But then I suppose if they want to play FIFA on PS3 and 360, they have to buy 2 copies, which is why people question which version of a game they should get. They'll do the same with NGP if they have to pay twice for the same game - should I get the NGP version of PS3 version? That'll decrease use of NGP.

A different game that's different enough to actually be different, and not just an exclusive character or extra map, is going to cost substantially more to make than a straight port, and will likely compete with the consumer's dollars in the above system-choice fashion.

that's what they are telling devs to do
That makes the ports either not cheap, or not different enough to warrant buying the same game twice. eg. Fat Princess 2. You can buy it for PS3 for $10, or NGP for $10. The difference is NGP has an extra play mode, say, and an extra map. Is that worth buying the same game twice? Is it worth getting an NGP to play games you can get on the PS3 you already own, if you can't share the library? Whereas, knowing the NGP would run the games you are going to buy for PS3 anyway, the cost of ownership is much reduced, greatly increasing NGP's value as a portable extension to the PS3 experience.

A different game that's different enough to actually be different, and not just an exclusive character or extra map, is going to cost substantially more to make than a straight port, and will likely compete with the consumer's dollars in the above system-choice fashion.

That makes the ports either not cheap, or not different enough to warrant buying the same game twice. eg. Fat Princess 2. You can buy it for PS3 for $10, or NGP for $10. The difference is NGP has an extra play mode, say, and an extra map. Is that worth buying the same game twice? Is it worth getting an NGP to play games you can get on the PS3 you already own, if you can't share the library? Whereas, knowing the NGP would run the games you are going to buy for PS3 anyway, the cost of ownership is much reduced, greatly increasing NGP's value as a portable extension to the PS3 experience.

I think they are talking about the same file but when played on NGP you can do other things that you can't do on the PS3 like using the touch controls & maybe a few levels make just for NGP & it's features or even have a level on the PS3 that need for you to have a NGP to get a bonus.

These aren't the same game, even if the differences are few and far between. They are bought once a year, adding a new load of content and some variations from version to version. What Joe Public doesn't do is go out and buy FIFA for PS3, and then buy it for PS3 again, and then PS3 again. But then I suppose if they want to play FIFA on PS3 and 360, they have to buy 2 copies, which is why people question which version of a game they should get. They'll do the same with NGP if they have to pay twice for the same game - should I get the NGP version of PS3 version? That'll decrease use of NGP.
So you are saying if the NGP version comes out a year later with changed t-shirts on the characters, then they will sell? (jus kidding)
can share alot of the assets though, which are the most expensive thing?
Portable should eg. allow the player to experience different areas that werent there in the main game, ideally changing parts of the mechanics (more than just controls). Think of following the adventures of a NPC or something like that, what would amount to DLC today. The portable version maybe has small chunks like "Sullys Episodes" (Uncharted in case theres any doubt) and accomplishments might unlock paths/change the game on the console (which werent in the main PS3 game). So in the end you get some new content for both PS3 and NGP, and since those interact/unlock further goodies having both is more than the sum of both seperate versions.
I cant see selling the exact same content on both system would work... or rather you will just split the sold copies while having more work.
Agree and thats why I wont call em ports.

it's the beginning of April so that means more devs are getting the final dev kits

so more info should leak out soon.

Portable should eg. allow the player to experience different areas that werent there in the main game, ideally changing parts of the mechanics (more than just controls). Think of following the adventures of a NPC or something like that, what would amount to DLC today. The portable version maybe has small chunks like "Sullys Episodes" (Uncharted in case theres any doubt) and accomplishments might unlock paths/change the game on the console (which werent in the main PS3 game). So in the end you get some new content for both PS3 and NGP, and since those interact/unlock further goodies having both is more than the sum of both seperate versions.
Not sure I understand? Are you saying for example that Uncharted 3 on NGP would be the same as Uncharted 3 on PS3 but with extra controls and side-stories etc.? Are those extras going to amount to £40 worth of content, such the Joe Playstation will buy £40 of Uncharted 3 on PS3, and then £40 of Uncharted 3 on NGP because it has 10% more stuff to do? If the game is fundamentally the same one, I can't see anyone buying it twice for a few extras. The extras just aren't worth that much. They'd have to be different games, like Killzone Liberation on PSP and KZ on PS2/3. Now if it was a case of buying the original PS3 or NGP version for £40, and getting an 'upgrade' price of say £10 to unlock the other platform version and extra features, I can see that. But then that's not even talking about download titles.

If we take something like PixelJunk Shooter, if PJS3 comes out on PS3 and NGP, fundamentally the same game, for £10 download, is anyone going to buy the game on PS3 and then again on NGP for a total of £20 for what's the same experience, save a couple of extra levels or whatnot, I can't see Joe Playstation seeing the value in that, no more than he was willing to go and buy a movie in BRD and DVD separately for twice the price. In the case of BRD, they just stuck with DVD to watch around the house, until BRDs include DVD copies that made the cost of the HD version much less relative to usefulness. Whatever extras the NGP version has, they'd have to add value equivalent to the whole cost of the game if there's a PS3 version, I think. That is, £10 of NGP PSN title has to add £10 of extras on top of the £10 PS3 game. Otherwise it'll be overlooked. It or the PS3 version, if NGP proves popular.

I could certainly see preferring an A9 dual core at 1 Ghz over the PS3's PPC core for real CPU work.

He said that one of A4's cores - a Cortex-A8 at 1GHz - is about the same as a Xenon core.

I personally couldn't see preferring even a Cortex-A9 core at 1GHz over a 3.2GHz Xenon core unless you're really tripping over the limitations, like not being able to hint branches enough in advance, or if you're limited by main memory bandwidth or are not hiding latency well. I don't think this necessarily fits the profile of much "real CPU work", although I could see a lot of code struggling on Xenon if it isn't optimized with it in mind.

I don't see how that comment can be taken to mean clock-for-clock, and furthermore I don't see why that's a useful comparison when talking about two devices with fixed maximum clock speeds. If he really did mean clock-for-clock then he should have withheld the comment entirely because of how obvious it should be that the average reader wouldn't understand that.

PSP just went officialy to 130euros in Europe. Does that price has any impact on potential price of NGP?

We've been getting several promotions for the PSP Go for 80€ here in Portugal (mediamarkt and others).
It has certainly been boosting the console's sales.

just had a idea:

with the GPS in the NGP mixed with Augmented Reality someone can make a game where the Big Dinosaur can chase you around in the real world.

Back