Sony VR Headset/Project Morpheus/PlayStation VR

Looks neat. Would have to assume that normally the VR sees VR feed and the rest the regular TV.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...than-10-titles-with-first-virtual-reality-set
The PlayStation VR headset is on track for introduction in the first half of next year, Sony Computer Entertainment Chief Executive Officer Andrew House said in an interview at the Tokyo Game Show on Thursday. The unit will be priced as a new gaming platform he said, without giving numbers
So either it means it will be as expensive as a launch PS4, or it means they will price it almost at cost to kick off a heavy adoption rate.

I'm guessing the BOM around $150 for the HMD. The usual profit they make on peripherals would put it around $300 retail for the HMD alone, $350 with the camera, while a pricing around cost would put it at $170 alone and $200 with the camera.

I tried. We have no idea what the price will be. :runaway:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...than-10-titles-with-first-virtual-reality-set

So either it means it will be as expensive as a launch PS4, or it means they will price it almost at cost to kick off a heavy adoption rate.

I'm guessing the BOM around $150 for the HMD. The usual profit they make on peripherals would put it around $300 retail for the HMD alone, $350 with the camera, while a pricing around cost would put it at $170 alone and $200 with the camera.

I tried. We have no idea what the price will be. :runaway:

I doubt they will sell it at cost. Its an unknown product with no past sales performance data, so there is no data to say it will accelerate console or game sales of the PS4. Selling at cost will provide a lift in revenue but no guarantee that it will lift profits.

Plus BOM alone is not going to dictate price, its a new product so R&D is baked in and those costs are going to be amortize over time with the initial sales of the device. Then there are other ancillary costs like marketing, distribution and retailer margins that have to be accounted.

I think ~$300+, the same price as a new gaming console. It's also the minimal sane price if there's a massive interest. If people want this, Sony want to make money from them. If people don't want it, Sony don't want to lose money on it. The only time it makes sense to have no profit is if the device will increase profits from other revenue streams, such as increasing game sales over consoles without VR headsets.

Sony Pictures should be investing heavily in VR content IMO. :yep2:

Last edited:
$400 with a bunch of mini games packed in . My bet is on the camera being part of the bundle kinda screwing anyone who already owns one but removing extra skus from the market place.

Either the demand is so intense that they can price it for uber profit on the hardware, or it isn't and they have to price it more conservatively to build a user base.

What is the usual pricing strategy for a new console? Is it making a lot of profit on the hardware or building a user base?

I could be wrong about the BOM maybe it's more expensive than that, regardless I don't see them pricing it significantly above 300. The demand will be high but this isn't a "shut up and take my money" situation.

Either the demand is so intense that they can price it for uber profit on the hardware, or it isn't and they have to price it more conservatively to build a user base.

What is the usual pricing strategy for a new console? Is it making a lot of profit on the hardware or building a user base?

I could be wrong about the BOM maybe it's more expensive than that, regardless I don't see them pricing it significantly above 300. The demand will be high but this isn't a "shut up and take my money" situation.

Well look at sony's history

PlayStation launched at $300
Ps2 at $300 ,
Ps3 at $500/$600
Ps4 at $400

If they are pricing it at a new console price I would wager its more than $300.

I also think it makes sense since it will have the same scale as a newly launched system

Ps1 Break even
Ps2 Loss leader
Ps3 Major loss leader
Ps4 Break even

Where do you see major profit from hardware?

The reason the consoles were sold without margins was because sale of the hardware lead to sale of software. As PSVR isn't required for selling PS4 software, there's less reason to sell without profit. As I say above, if PSVR can shift more content, it can be priced cheaper. If the amount of software moved per PS4 doesn't increase when it has a PSVR attached, the PSVR has to be at profitable to make a business case for itself. Otherwise Sony will just be pissing money away giving the world a cheap VR option and getting nothing back.

Palmer Lucky has said that CK1 will cost around the price of DK2 [$350], and they even want to offer separate motion controllers down the line. Oculus will not be a cheap system.

Anyhow, things are heating up in Japan. Dead or Alive Extreme 3 will be released in Japan in the spring of 2016, and the game will have support for PSVR.
http://gematsu.com/2015/09/dead-ali...ring-2016-japan-playable-characters-announced
DoAX3-Chara-Results_09-19-15_001.jpg

:yes:

edit-

Last edited:
The reason the consoles were sold without margins was because sale of the hardware lead to sale of software. As PSVR isn't required for selling PS4 software, there's less reason to sell without profit.

Sony may be content with Morpheus being required for VR-only PS4 titles - of course they'd have to be really confident of the software selling the hardware and I've not seen anything like that in terms of appeal to me yet. It will certainly be interesting to see how split software is, I would expect at least some first party Sony titles to be designed for the basic PS4 with optional VR support in addition to software that will require Morpheus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony may be content with Morpheus being required for VR-only PS4 titles.
Yes, but unless people with VR buy more games than those without, or VR games have higher margins for Sony, it's still not a sensible business choice to sell PSVR at cost.

That is, let's say Joe Gamer buys 5 games a year at $60 each. Sony gets maybe $50 a year from this. Joe Gamer then buys PSVR, and proceeds to buy still 5 games a year. Sony isn't making any more money off PSVR than not so all that R&D isn't paying dividends. Only if Joe Gamer buys 5 normal games a year and an additional 3 VR or somesuch would PSVR increase Sony's revenues from content. That or VR movies. But without an increase in owner expenditure on PS4, PSVR won't make Sony more money. Best case otherwise is it'll help to move consoles so selling at cost would help grow the user-base.

Whereas selling PSVR at profit means even if content sales don't change, Sony are making more money from the endeavour thus justifying its investment. And given the high novelty of VR, not getting profits from pioneers and early adopters of the hardware doesn't seem so sound for Sony's investment. It'd be a bit of a gamble to decline these profits in the hopes of accelerating growth. Better to price high at launch with the adoption to drop price as needed.

That is, let's say Joe Gamer buys 5 games a year at $60 each. Sony gets maybe $50 a year from this. Joe Gamer then buys PSVR, and proceeds to buy still 5 games a year. Sony isn't making any more money off PSVR than not so all that R&D isn't paying dividends. Only if Joe Gamer buys 5 normal games a year and an additional 3 VR or somesuch would PSVR increase Sony's revenues from content. That or VR movies. But without an increase in owner expenditure on PS4, PSVR won't make Sony more money. Best case otherwise is it'll help to move consoles so selling at cost would help grow the user-base.

That's one narrative. Another is that Joe Gamer is so into VR that he buys a PC to play his VR then begins buying PC games because they are often cheaper than on console so he buys less and less PS4 games. Morpheus may not be Sony's attempt to increase the appeal of PS4 but a measure to minimise the risk that existing customs may go elsewhere for their VR fix and - go elsewhere and not come back.

Similar to the reasons MMOs have expansions, it's rarely expected to increase the player base, it's entirely about keeping as much of the player base they already have.

Just curious, but if DOOM is 60fps, would that work "perfectly" on this platform? Or are there other performance considerations that would get in the way?

Or is DOOM 30fps and I'm completely wrong anyway?

Completely wrong I should think. Not unless you like vomiting anyway. ;)

Your right stick and your head would be doing the same function.

Back